An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters T.o.r.

Kateri89

Just curious if anyone's ever been on retreat with them or been at their monastery.  I've always had a love for Franciscan orders and was thinking about visiting them, especially because it's within driving distance of where I live.  They seem like a nice order and there's something very beautiful about that simple Franciscan spirituality.    :love:

My friend is a postulant with them. They are a wonderful (young) and very vibrant community. If you are within driving distance, go for it! And, of course, let us know how it goes. :like:

Catholicterp7

I went on a retreat with them a few years ago and loved every moment of it! They are a very beautiful community. I would highly encourage a visit to them. 

JMJ+ :heart: 

petitpèlerin

I live near them, too. I haven't been to their monastery but I've met a few of them when they've been up in my neck of the woods and honestly they're some of the coolest, most attractive young women (in the sisterly sense) I've ever met. I've also encountered them when I've gone down to Franciscan University for mass, etc. They seem solid and happy.

Their community was born out of FUS and their apostolate is primarily to serve University students and the poor of Steubenville. In other words, their roots are in the University and they have strong ties to it. They tend to attract vocations from it, and from young women who attend Steubenville conferences, etc., although of course not exclusively. Their spirituality has a strong charismatic element to it.

I've considered them seriously, because I'm a Franciscan and they're awesome Franciscan women right in my backyard, but their spirituality and their apostolate isn't quite the right fit for me. But I would highly recommend them to anyone else who's read through their website and is interested. http://www.franciscansisterstor.org/