An Old School Catholic Message Board

The More I See The Summit Op Habit

DameAgnes

petitpèlerin

I completely agree. Same goes for the Sisters of Life.

I mean, of course Franciscans are the best no matter what ;) , but for Dominicans, these girls have beautiful habits.

IgnatiusofLoyola

Some people especially like the short white "cape" (or maybe it's a LONG collar) that is part of the habit of many well-known Communities of Dominican Sisters (including the Nashville Dominicans and the DSMME's, among many others). And, I agree that the short cape is VERY beautiful, graceful, and flattering for every Sister--tall, short, thin, not so thin, etc etc.

However many/most/all(?) Communities of Dominican cloistered nuns, at least in the U.S., do not wear the short "cape" as part of their habit. At first, the habit of Summit Dominicans almost seemed to me as if it were missing something because the cape was not part of their habit. But, as I have seen more pictures of the Summit Dominicans, and gotten to more about their Community, the Community's simpler habit has "grown on me," and I like it just as much, perhaps even more so, than the "habit with the cape" of many Communities of Dominican Sisters. (Although, as much as I have come to love the Summit Dominican habit, the Community of religious Sisters to which Phatmasser Laetitia Crucis/Sister Mary Catherine belongs wears the habit with the short cape, and I think LC looks beautiful in her habit. To me, it is as if LC was born to wear this habit.)

Back to the Summit Dominicans--I like the simplicity of their habit. The Sisters look beautiful and the habit shows them very clearly to be part of the "family" of friars, nuns, religious Sisters, and lay religious that make up the Order of Preachers. The simplicity of the Summit Dominican habit seems very practical, and "fits" with the nuns' vows of poverty, giving themselves totally to God, and their life devoted to prayer for sinners (namely, all of us!), rather than paying much attention to outward appearance.

As I have read posts in VS for something like 2 1/2 years now, I have seen pictures of habits that I love and habits that I don't find as beautiful. But, the wonderful thing is that, although we talk about habits on VS--and admire beautiful ones--I have yet to see a VS poster enter a particular Community primarily because of the habit. And, in the end, I've found that each VS member who enters relgious life finds the habit of "her" Community to be the most beautiful.