An Old School Catholic Message Board

Info Or Previous Thread - Benedictine Daughters Of Divine Will?

HisAlone

I have run across the Benedictine Daughters of Divine Will a few times on my internet travels and even though they have a website with lots of information, it doesn't really describe their daily life and work.  I believe they are primarily contemplative, though not cloistered.  Theyhave diocesan approval and are located in Talamello, Italy, but the sisters themselves are American.

Is there a previous thread about them?  If not, does anyone know more than what can be found on their website?

http://benedictinesofdivinewill.org/

The Benedictine Daughters are indeed contemplative and NOT cloistered.

If you go to their website and click on "Newsletters"; you will find a lot of information in regards to their community and probably answer a lot of questions that you might have. 

http://www.benedictinesofdivinewill.org/newsletters.html

Mother Gabrielle Marie (Mother Superior of the Benedictine Daughters) she returned to her baptismal name "Gayle" and was formerly "Sister Mary Catherine" in which she served as Vicar for 9 years in PCPA from Alabama.

Mother's spiritual director is Benedictine...hence why she probably founded a Benedictine community. One Sister that is part of the community is also a former PCPA. 

They are mainly contemplative with the intent of their focus being Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and God's most Holy Will.

Their daily schedule:

6:15 am    Rise
6:45 am    Breakfast
7:15 am    Divine Office: Office of Readings and Morning Prayer
8:00 am    Mass
8:30 am    Eucharistic Adoration begins (Jesus remains exposed until 1:00pm)*
12:00 pm   Spiritual Reading
12:30 pm   Divine Office:  Midmorning, Midday, Midafternoon Prayer
1:00 pm     Lunch
2:00 pm     Eucharistic Adoration resumes (Jesus remains exposed until 6:20pm)*    
1:30-2:30 pm  Free time
3:00 pm     Divine Mercy Chaplet
6:00 pm Divine Office: Vespers
6:20 pm     Dinner
7:00 pm     Recreation
8:00 pm     Night Prayer and Rosary
10:30 pm    Lights Out

They have one new woman that is their first Italian vocation.

I hope that this little bit of information is of help to you!

God Bless,

Allie

SstrAli,

Thanks for the info.  I had read the most recent newsletter, but none before that. I will do that now.  I noticed that they celebrate Mass in the Extraordinary Form (which I love) and am wondering if they use the Latin Divine Office rather than the LOTH.

My friend from Bible Study told me about this group when she found out about them since she knows I'm discerning.  They are beautiful, however, I don't feel called to Benedictine spirituality.  :)

They look like a really nice community.

I can't anser you questions His Alone, but I encourge you to discern with them if you feel called to contemplative life.

SstrAli,

Thanks for the info.  I had read the most recent newsletter, but none before that. I will do that now.  I noticed that they celebrate Mass in the Extraordinary Form (which I love) and am wondering if they use the Latin Divine Office rather than the LOTH.

Currently they don't use the Latin Divine Office; however, they do use Latin in their liturgy. And yes, they do celebrate Mass in the EF.

They are also receiving a postulant from the US in the next month or two.

The postulant is God Willing suppose to enter on February 2nd, 2013 I believe is the date!

I am in quite frequent email contact with the community and have been following their progress in starting their new order.  I get the feeling that they will be more specific with their charism when they have a more permanent place to live...which they now do.   Their dream is to acquire and restore the old Franciscan Monastery there... interesting reading about the monastery on their website and in their newletter.  I pray that they can acquire the property and enlarge their community significantly.  I was drawn to Mother Gabrielle when she was with the PCPA's as Sr. Mary Catherine...always seemed to be so prayerful, caring and devout.  I think she is and will be a very loving and good spiritual mother.  There is also a priest that was just ordained that is hoping to begin a foundation/order there for men.  I encourage all to keep all of them in your prayers.

Chasmi,
Thank you for the additional info and encouragement. I found a random video of the sisters being interviewed and in it Mother Gabrielle said that the sisters would eventually be taking care of orphans. So I'm a little confused because they seem to present themselves as non-cloistered contemplatives. Hmmmmmm? http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D26DK44as74

Organwerke,
Thank you for the encouragement. I have only contacted one community so far and it is very slow since they are snail mail only. So far I have only looked at cloistered communities but when I saw this order I liked the idea of limited outside contact and freedom of movement while remaining primarily contemplative. See the note above for my confusion about orphans...which sounds pretty "active" to me???

Organwerke,
Thank you for the encouragement. I have only contacted one community so far and it is very slow since they are snail mail only. So far I have only looked at cloistered communities but when I saw this order I liked the idea of limited outside contact and freedom of movement while remaining primarily contemplative. See the note above for my confusion about orphans...which sounds pretty "active" to me???

Just a sidenote:

If you are interested in non-cloistered contemplative communities, you might want to look into the Sister Servants of the Eternal Word or Children of Mary.  I could also suggest other communities if you are interested.  :)

Thanks MM,

I've looked at both these communities (online), but they both seem to have quite active apostolates i.e. catechism, retreats, etc.  What had attracted me to the BDDW was that they were not necessarily going out to the people, but opening up part of their existing contemplative life to them - Adoration and Holy Mass.  I also assumed that this would mean they would be able to embrace (literally) their family and loved ones who might come to visit.  I've always loved the "grill," but lately have been re-thinking the cloister.  I've never been attracted much to Benedictine spirituality until now...things to think about.

somethingfishy

One potential issue with a very new and small community (particularly with a living founder) is that their apostolate (and to some extent their spirituality) may not be firmly established yet, and so it might change according to a new inspiration or opportunity. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not for everyone.

So far it looks like we've had two previous threads on this particular community: here and here.

Organwerke,

I've understood they were founded following the idea of a friend who wanted a new community, benedectine, who wore white and who took care of the orphans...so yes, maybe they have this also in their projects. I think I would like the idea of having also an active apostolate. There are other contemplative orders who do or did this in the past (for example the Visitandine often had schools, ans so did also Benedctine). Even if they are Benedectine, I don't see a too strong "print" of Benedetine Spiritualirty in them: they have also a big franciscan influence and others too.

I think it could be worth a look in your reserach: they look like a warm community, and, in any case, I don't think they would ever become "too" active!

Good luck...

Somethingfishy,

Thank you for the links.  I haven't figured out how to search for previous threads yet (I'm sure it says how somewhere on this site).

Organwerke,

Again, thank you for the encouragement.  I noticed in one of previous threads that you said you have visited the seashore which must not be too far (15 miles?) from the BDDW's convent.  Looks beautiful.  I've been to France and England, but never to Italy.

All,

Well, I'm going to do a little more research and then I may contact this community.  I'll read some of Luisa Picaretta's writings and find out if there has been any change in their approval status.  It does say something that Pope Pius X said that "The Twenty-Four Hours of the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ" ought to be read on one's knees!

Thanks everyone for the info and I look forward to more.