An Old School Catholic Message Board

Info Or Previous Thread - Benedictine Daughters Of Divine Will?

HisAlone

somethingfishy

Best way to search for threads on here is to use Google. Put your search terms in front of the modifier site:phatmass.com and it will find results with those terms only from pages within phatmass.

Best way to search for threads on here is to use Google. Put your search terms in front of the modifier site:phatmass.com and it will find results with those terms only from pages within phatmass.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.  Thank you!

Somethingfishy,

Thank you for the links.  I haven't figured out how to search for previous threads yet (I'm sure it says how somewhere on this site).

Organwerke,

Again, thank you for the encouragement.  I noticed in one of previous threads that you said you have visited the seashore which must not be too far (15 miles?) from the BDDW's convent.  Looks beautiful.  I've been to France and England, but never to Italy.

All,

Well, I'm going to do a little more research and then I may contact this community.  I'll read some of Luisa Picaretta's writings and find out if there has been any change in their approval status.  It does say something that Pope Pius X said that "The Twenty-Four Hours of the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ" ought to be read on one's knees!

Thanks everyone for the info and I look forward to more.

Dear friend, I know very well the region where the sisters live from my childhood since my mother is from there, I haven't personally visited the place where they are (Talamello) but would like to do some sunday since it's not too far from where I live.

I know I could tell this from a personal point of view, but I really think this region is the most beautiful of Italy: there is something in its nature that gives you peace simply for the fact that you are there. The weather is very warm (ok, you can have cold winters too but usually they are quite short) and the environments are delightful.

As for the approval, for what I can see from their website, although they are a new foundation they seem very serious to me, and they have a project to grow quite quickly. I am hopeful for the developpment of their canonical status.

Well, I spent time reading some of Luisa's writings and they are quite profound and very moving. And so I felt moved to send a formal letter of inquiry to Reverend Mother last night via email. I don't expect a reply anytime soon since I am old enough to have had a messy life and won't be free to enter anywhere for a couple more years yet. The way I see it is that if Our Lady has chosen me for this place, none of that will matter......so, no worries!

:w00t: I super hope there are hopes for you with this order. BTW, do you know if they have an age limit?

Thank you Organwerke!  I had run across the BDDW before, but it was because I saw them listed on MaterMisericoriae's new website for older vocations that I decided to look at them a little more closely.  I didn't see any age information on the BDDW website so I decided to "go for it."

(thanks MM)  http://belatedvocations.weebly.com/

I did, however, write a formal letter of inquiry explaining a little about myself and my spiritual journey.  I also asked their permission to become a correspondent to their community.  I didn't put my age in the letter, but they would be able to tell from the content that I am not the usual young inquirer.  Hopefully this way they can get to know me without too much focus on age.

(This is my opinion, but I think the worst thing to say is, "Do you accept older vocations?"  It's just too easy to say "no" to that question)

So...we'll see.  I'll keep you posted.

• 3 months later...

Chasmi,

Where did Sr. Maureen Christine of The Divine Mercy  come from ?

Has she had an accident ?

How many Sisters  are  there  now   I  was  wondering .

Thanks !

Chiara Francesco

Thank you Organwerke!  I had run across the BDDW before, but it was because I saw them listed on MaterMisericoriae's new website for older vocations that I decided to look at them a little more closely.  I didn't see any age information on the BDDW website so I decided to "go for it."

(thanks MM)  http://belatedvocations.weebly.com/

I did, however, write a formal letter of inquiry explaining a little about myself and my spiritual journey.  I also asked their permission to become a correspondent to their community.  I didn't put my age in the letter, but they would be able to tell from the content that I am not the usual young inquirer.  Hopefully this way they can get to know me without too much focus on age.

(This is my opinion, but I think the worst thing to say is, "Do you accept older vocations?"  It's just too easy to say "no" to that question)

So...we'll see.  I'll keep you posted.

I know someone who wrote this order about a year ago and they ARE opened to older vocations - this person I know is around 51 or so.  I myself am an older vocation and I did what you did in the beginning of my discernment, not tell my age, and in the end that just got me into disappointment and in some ways a waste of time on both sides!

Most orders DO ask age if you don't but why not be straight forward with them up front?  I once corresponded with an order I was crazy about and they with me and we wrote back and forth for quite a while and then planned a visit and just before I was to go, I was asked my age - and that shot it ALL down!  They assumed I was in their age limit and I assumed all was fine and was excited to visit and maybe enter!

MANY orders will take older, despite a stated age limit, I've found.  What I do now is just write a long letter or email covering everything up front: age, job experience, my call and any other things I could think of!  I wanted them to know up front everything so both sides aren't deceived and have dashed hopes.

As for  your comment, (This is my opinion, but I think the worst thing to say is, "Do you accept older vocations?"  It's just too easy to say "no" to that question), is flawed thinking.  Just because you don't ask the question does NOT mean they will say "no".  They say "no" ONLY when they won't take nor consider older vocations!  Just because you avoid this question, doesn't mean they will take you when they don't take older!  Orders say "no" when it IS a no-go regarding older vocations! 

Take it from someone who has been discerning for 15 yrs!  That long because God called me very early when I was not free to prepare me and my family (long story).  So while I was not free for at least 7-8 of those years (the rest was consumed in trying to sell my house), I learned the best way to write and approach orders given my age and other circumstances and like you I had the "hide the age" thing going and it NEVER worked!  One order short of chastised me for not telling them up front! - but most are sorry things progressed so far before the "A" bomb was dropped on them.

It is best to be honest and open in all areas up front with all orders and write/email any and all orders you feel attracted to.  Just don't go by a stated age limit as I and others I know, who they wrote and then entered an order, have gotten good response to them when they had a previously stated younger age limit.

Yes, it is wrong for orders to have young age limits when God is definitely calling men and women past these limits and yes most of them have really idiotic views on older vocations, but there are many who do not and may even have a younger age limit!  Then there are orders/communities that PREFER older in more ways!  These orders/communities are wise to realize that often just as many younger ones as older leave before Solemn Profession and see and understand how in many ways older women ARE more suitable - barring any physical or mental problems, which is the same for younger too.  I once had an order tell me "no" due to my age because they said, "We've had 4 older women leave us in the past 20 yrs"......20 YRS?!  I can see so many months or a few years but in TWENTY YEARS?!  Please!  I saw that statement as so ridiculous, I wouldn't WANT to enter there!

Josefa...

Sr. Maureen Christine was with the sisters when they were on their journeys through Italy and then all of a sudden there was no site of her.  I thought maybe she had left the community.  But now I see in their latest newsletter that she is in full habit and also hearing of her misfortune of an amputation.  I think it says a great deal about these dear sisters, that they are keeping Sister in their hearts and community and apparently looking after her.  I'm not surprised however, because Mother Gabrielle Marie, known as Sr. Mary Catherine at OLAM, was quite attentive and caring for Mother Angelica in her illness and rehab and appeared to be at her side at all times.

I think that the Benedictine Daughters of Divine Will are a wonderful community and I applaude their spirit and faith.  I plan to retire next year and hope to visit them soon after.

There was mention at one point, that the young priest who is seen in their photos often was hoping to found a mens order as a "brother" order.  I'm hoping that is in God's will...

God's Blessings...

• 4 months later...
MarysLittleFlower

I just found out about them and they seem so wonderful! Do they really have the TLM??? that's amazing cause I've been looking into communities with the TLM :D and they follow the spirituality of Luisa Piccarreta which I like too. They also talk about St Therese, Divine Mercy, Adoration, Rosary, and Total Consecration on their website - all of which I love. And Benedictines are great! hmmm.. they seem like a great community and hopefully they would continue growing :D

I just looked at their site and it seems they are now only inviting enquiries from those under 35.

" If you are 35 years old or younger and your prayer continues to lead you to us, then fill out the form below and we can begin the journey of seeking God's will together."

It's a real shame if they have changed their stance on age.

By His Grace Alone

I just looked at their site and it seems they are now only inviting enquiries from those under 35.

" If you are 35 years old or younger and your prayer continues to lead you to us, then fill out the form below and we can begin the journey of seeking God's will together."

It's a real shame if they have changed their stance on age.

But sadly, not surprising. 

Wouldn't it be wonderful to see a rule in some communities (in every spiritually) age limit - 35 and up ONLY!! Lol