An Old School Catholic Message Board

Deaf Apostolate?

Catholicterp7

On 2/4/2020 at 1:00 PM, Billy said:

I’ve learned that the Dominican Missionaries for the Apostolate of the Deaf and Disabled is no longer exist due to suppression. I am greatly disappointed since I have a strong desire to be a part of it. Are there any other apostolate our there that I can reach out? Thank you. 

I have verified that the Dominican Missionaries were suppressed. If you are interested in Deaf ministry: 

1. Learn ASL, as well as English-based sign systems, really well. Start now, and never stop developing your sign skills.

2. Get familiar with the National Catholic Office for the Deaf (NCOD): https://www.ncod.org/

3. Check into Deaf ministry within your own diocese - the larger dioceses almost all have an office, and many of the smaller dioceses.

4. Get familiar with - join and support? - the International Catholic Deaf Association (ICDA). They have local chapters, too, so look for that in your diocese. Here's their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/icdaus/

5. Lay ministers can study for a graduate certificate in Deaf ministry. A graduate certificate is about 18 credit hours. The program I'm familiar with is headquartered in the Chicago area - it's mostly online, with some weekends and maybe week-long seminars. But there are probably other programs out there,  too.

6. Also look for religious orders that have a history of Deaf apostolate; within an order, you'd probably be able to choose whether to be a brother or a priest. St. Francis de Sales is the patron of the Deaf, so I'd look into the Salesians; a Redemptorist priest was involved in Deaf ministry in my diocese for a long time, but I don't know if it's an apostolate of the congregation. If you plan on becoming a priest, you could also choose diocesan priesthood - diocesan priests often develop their own specialized areas of ministry, including Deaf ministry.

Hope this helps.