An Old School Catholic Message Board

"active" Discernment

<3jesus

I hear the phrase active discernment used a lot. I'm kind of confused by what this means. Is it used to mean--consciously seeking to understand God's plan or does it mean in some sort of formal discernment process with an order or diocese et cetera?

To me active discernment means to be in contact with a community (or possibly more dependinng on where you are in discernment). If you are a bit further along in your discernment, making visits and keeping in regular contact (phone calls, emails, letters, video chats etc).

I guess basically when you have moved on from the "I think I might be called to religious life" and the just looking at communities webpages and such to actually interacting with the community. Usually with the hope of applying at some point

Right now I would define myself in semi-active discernment, I keep in regular contact with a community but for a few reasons I am having to wait before I can apply/discern further.

To me it means more of the first one you mentioned: "consciously seeking to understand God's plan." I think 13 year old me praying and learning about religious life (and not in contact with any communities) was just as actively discerning as 19 year old me applying to a community; they're just different points in my discernment, so the way I was/am active looks different. What I would say is not active discernment is just being open to the possiblity of a vocation to religious life and not really doing anything about it.