An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Weekend With The Salesians

FutureSister2009

FutureSister2009

So, this weekend was without a doubt full of a number of blessings. I can honestly say that the Salesians were incredibly welcoming and made you feel right at home as soon as you arrived through their doors. I was really nervous, especially since I knew absolutely no one there. It was a brave move I feel. Friday night was spent saying the Rosary, Stations of the Cross, and the Liturgy of the Hours. This was my very first experience with actually saying the Liturgy of the Hours and I admit I was really bad at but I know I can get used to it. After that, we ate dinner, did our chores and then played a nice game of guesstures. That was really fun.

Saturday was a very very busy day! We woke up, walked down to their Providence house down the hill for Mass and Morning Prayer. Then after that we walked back up for breakfast and then chores. We cleaned the whole chapel and then we sorted out donated purses for a fundraiser. We got called for lunch and then spent most of the afternoon painting a banner. Eventually it was time for dinner. After dinner we went up to Stony Point New York to the Marian Shrine run by the Salesian Brothers and Priests for a monthly event called the Visitation. It contained Adoration, Confession and contemporary Praise and Worship music. It was a unique and kind of emotional experience for me.

Today we had morning prayer, breakfast and then we went down to the local parishes to help the aspirants with CCD. I was impressed with the children and how well they knew their sacraments and prayers. When CCD was done, we went back to the Convent for lunch. It was the birthday of the Lay Missionary who lives with them so we celebrated today with cake and the Aspirants wrote a song for her to the tune of Hard Knocked Life. It was very entertaining.

I was pretty bitter about leaving but a part of me wasn't absolutely 100% certain if this was definitely it. I could see myself there, I had a great experience and I would like to see them again. But I really feel like I might want to visit one or two other communities just to see if I feel any different.

But I had a wonderful time and I feel that God had a reason for bringing me there. I am thankful I was there for it. Please pray for me and Katiebobatie94. She has her own story to share.

I'm glad you had a great experience (and I hope we hear from Katie, too). I met some Salesians this summer when I was on a mission trip in Arizona, and they were so awesome. I don't know how to post a video from facebook, but if you look up Sister Colleen Clair Fma, she posted a video of the aspirants singing the song FS was talking about. She also has some other great videos of the aspirants and sisters singing and dancing; they're hilarious. You don't have to be her friend to see the videos. 

I also just wanted to say that you don't have to know after one visit whether you want to apply for entrance. Don't try to rush it. If you feel drawn to go back, that's the next step, or if you want to visit other communities, then do that. God will let you know in His own time where He wants you so there's no use to be anxious over each community you visit wondering if it's the one (not directed specifically to you, just general thoughts I had reading the end of your post. I don't know if/how much it applies to you, FS).

FutureSister2009

I'm glad you had a great experience (and I hope we hear from Katie, too). I met some Salesians this summer when I was on a mission trip in Arizona, and they were so awesome. I don't know how to post a video from facebook, but if you look up Sister Colleen Clair Fma, she posted a video of the aspirants singing the song FS was talking about. She also has some other great videos of the aspirants and sisters singing and dancing; they're hilarious. You don't have to be her friend to see the videos. 

I also just wanted to say that you don't have to know after one visit whether you want to apply for entrance. Don't try to rush it. If you feel drawn to go back, that's the next step, or if you want to visit other communities, then do that. God will let you know in His own time where He wants you so there's no use to be anxious over each community you visit wondering if it's the one (not directed specifically to you, just general thoughts I had reading the end of your post. I don't know if/how much it applies to you, FS).

Thanks! That does help actually. I really do want to go back again because I miss them already!

Katiebobatie94

Yeah. Definitely visit again, and look at other communities. Its important to do that.