An Old School Catholic Message Board

Have You Narrowed It Down To Specific Orders Or Communities?

Renee the Nunnabe

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Renee the Nunnabe

I discerned down to the Franciscan Brothers Minor and the Diocesan Priesthood, and now I have discerned down to finding a beautiful lady that will either like or get passed my love for kilts. ;)  

Kilts, really? Haha. 

I actually think I wouldn't have a problem with that . . . as long as you learn to play the bagpipes. xD 

Because bagpipes are my favorite instrument. Besides the human voice, of course.  

Speaking of bagpipes, a teacher (now assistant principle) at my school plays the bagpipes wonderfully! Sometimes, about an hour after school, he would come out his classroom and outside the school and just . . . play the bagpipes. My older brother told me that sometimes he plays the bagpipes in a kilt.  

At this point in time, yes, I am discerning with only two communities -- the Sisters of St. Rita and the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of the Church (SCMC).  The SCMC is the order I'm really interested in.  The Sisters of St. Rita have already said they would consider me but I fear that, since they only have two permanent Sisters there, that it is not an ideal community but they have a new postulant entering soon.  I plan to visit them in May or June.  I'm still hashing out details with the SCMC and I got some literature from them with an aspirancy interview in it.  Sr. Mary Jacinta wrote a very kind note to me and said that they would appreciate my background in healthcare.  I hope to visit them soon before starting LAMP in New York (if not after LAMP). 

Actually, I should add that I have narrowed it down to the Sisters of St. Rita, SCMC, and Consecrated Virginity with membership in a Third/Secular Order (most likely Augustinians or Franciscans).  I am applying to the LAMP program for a year and they have an option to become a lifelong member but I am not sure I'd want to remain there.  We shall see.  ;)

petitpèlerin

It's become clear to me this winter where God wants me and he just keeps working things out that way. I met with the novice mistress this week, it went very well, and I will be spending a week with them soon, since I haven't technically spent enough time with them yet. But in my view it's more for them to get to know me than for me to get to know them, since I already do know them and there's nothing that's going to surprise me in there. Every minute I spend with them is just confirmation that this is the place for me personally. I'll apply as soon as the timing seems right.

I have a nice little list of communities (most of which are Franciscan) I want to contact and visit once I hit 2yrs as a Catholic. Until then I've put discerning on the back burner.

Edited by Kayte Postle

Down to one community and am almost ready to apply (still have a couple of loose ends to tie up before I can!)

Still the SMMC?  :)

The SMMC sisters are amazing.  :)

When I am ready I think I will be looking at the Visitadines, The SSVM and the Canonesses Of St Augustine of the Mercy of Jesus.

I cannot enter yet so have not booked any retreats or Come and See visits. But these are the congregations I will contact as I am quite drawn to these three.

Still the SMMC?  :)

Yes, one of the loose ends will be tied up here soon! In just about 2 months I will have been Catholic for 2 years now. After that I just have to finish school and make a longer visit. 

The SMMC sisters are amazing.  :)

Yes they are! I miss them but through the wonders of technology we are able to keep in touch! (Nun video chats anyone?)

TheLordsSouljah

I cannot really actively search since I am only a teen but I am thinking... :think:

I wouldn't let that stop you - I was visiting communities when I was eleven! =P They were friends of the family, but still.... 

domenica_therese

Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia as well -- as soon as I graduate college. There were so many orders visiting campus the past two days, and I only had eyes for them.

I want to apply, the vocation director is extremely enthusiastic about it, and I see no hurdles to the process, but I'm afraid it might be overly premature at this point since I wouldn't join until August 2014.

Edited by domenica_therese

Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia as well -- as soon as I graduate college. There were so many orders visiting campus the past two days, and I only had eyes for them.

I want to apply, the vocation director is extremely enthusiastic about it, and I see no hurdles to the process, but I'm afraid it might be overly premature at this point since I wouldn't join until August 2014.

Have you asked about the possibility of applying and delaying your entrance for a year?  My friend did this with her community because they wanted her to finish her college degree in Theology before entrance.  She applied and was accepted in November 2007 and didn't enter until Sept. 2009.  Just a thought...  :)

The Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia are a wonderful choice in my *unbiased* opinion  :hehe2: .  I don't know why I love that order so much...I ultimately didn't feel called there but that was my first retreat ever and so I suppose it will always be a special memory for me.

The Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia are a wonderful choice in my *unbiased* opinion  :hehe2: .  I don't know why I love that order so much...I ultimately didn't feel called there but that was my first retreat ever and so I suppose it will always be a special memory for me.

There was a time when I considered them, but that was before I realized how little patience I had for teaching.  They really are a beautiful order!  :)