An Old School Catholic Message Board

Have You Narrowed It Down To Specific Orders Or Communities?

Renee the Nunnabe

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PhuturePriest

fixed.

Not according to literal translations, it's not.

Past = Something that has occurred in time.

Passed = Getting around something (Physical or non-physical).

Edited by FuturePriest387

Not according to literal translations, it's not.

Past = Something that has occurred in time.

Passed = Getting around something (Physical or non-physical).

"Past" is also a preposition. 

to or on the further side of : he rode on past the crossroads.

in front of or from one side to the other of : he began to drive slowly past the houses.

beyond in time; later than : by this time it was past 3:30.

no longer capable of : he is past giving the best advice.

beyond the scope of : my hair was past praying for.

So in the context of your original post, "past" is indeed correct. "Passed" is the past tense, so makes no sense in that context. 

PhuturePriest

"Past" is also a preposition. 

So in the context of your original post, "past" is indeed correct. "Passed" is the past tense, so makes no sense in that context. 

I couldn't help but notice you mentioned hair. What are you saying about my hairline?

Haven't posted for a while but thought I'd see how vocation station was doing today and found this thread!

I am no longer discerning religious life. I am trying to just live a faithful Catholic life at the moment because due to practical reasons, I've had to delay my Confirmation. However all things in God's time- he certainly waited for me long enough, that such a small delay in receiving this sacrament is only a small burden.

I'm not active discerning anything at the moment, but I am open to the Lord in discerning consecrated virginity (or marriage if I meet someone) in the future, if that is God's will. I'l probably still lurk round here from time to time though!  :hehe2:

PAX

domenica_therese

Have you asked about the possibility of applying and delaying your entrance for a year?  My friend did this with her community because they wanted her to finish her college degree in Theology before entrance.  She applied and was accepted in November 2007 and didn't enter until Sept. 2009.  Just a thought...  :)

No, I have not, at least not specifically -- the vocation director and I decided we would wait and see how another visit went and then go from there. I actually wasn't aware it was a thing people did; I've heard of people knowing for several years which community they wanted to join, I just had no idea how the application thing went. I'm visiting in two weeks, so I'll ask about it then. Thanks. :)

Part of the reason I'd like to apply now/soon is because, if I join next August, this would be my last Christmas with my family. I know a lot of people join at the drop of a hat to answer the call of the Lord, but He knew my heart well when he made my discernment process sloth-like.  :hehe2:  I also have an elementary-school age brother who I know will take it hard, and I'd like to prepare him for it, but I don't want to unless its certain.  Though there's two sides to that: I also don't want him sad during Christmas because he's thinking all the time that it's his last one with me. (until heaven :P )

Nikita,

I know what you mean about needing to provide health insurance and how scary the thought is. I am not only working on eliminating my student loans but I am also working on saving for health insurance. Believe me the thought is very daunting.

It has been over two years since I got my letter of acceptance and almost four years since I began discerning with the sisters and I could have said "what's the use" years ago (I actually tried but the desire to espouse myself to Him wouldn't go away) but through perseverance and trusting in God even when part of me doubted, I have come to witness many miracles and the graces received have been plentiful. Keep hoping and trusting in the Lord, He will make it possible in His time, the perfect time. I will keep you and those in similar situations in my prayers.

God Bless,
Hopeful

Edited by HopefulBride

• 3 weeks later...
FutureSister2009

I actually have to add the Daughters of St. Paul to my list. I'm going to be speaking on the phone with the Vocations Director tomorrow. Hopefully we can arrange a visit. Funny story, the Daughters of St. Paul came into my life when I was in like 7th or 8th grade through a friend. This was the first time I ever considered Religious Life so they could actually potentially be the one. Only in God's time will I know for sure!

OnlySunshine

At this point in time, yes, I am discerning with only two communities -- the Sisters of St. Rita and the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady Mother of the Church (SCMC).  The SCMC is the order I'm really interested in.  The Sisters of St. Rita have already said they would consider me but I fear that, since they only have two permanent Sisters there, that it is not an ideal community but they have a new postulant entering soon.  I plan to visit them in May or June.  I'm still hashing out details with the SCMC and I got some literature from them with an aspirancy interview in it.  Sr. Mary Jacinta wrote a very kind note to me and said that they would appreciate my background in healthcare.  I hope to visit them soon before starting LAMP in New York (if not after LAMP). 

I have to change this as I am no longer discerning religious life after spiritual direction from some Sisters.  It seems God is calling me down the path of Consecrated Virginity.  I feel called to be consecrated but religious life just doesn't seem like the right vocation for me as much as I love it.  It hurts still but when I think about being able to serve my home parish as a consecrated person, I get a great sense of peace in my heart and a smile on my face. 

I am still open to religious life but I've discovered there is so much more I can do in my home parish as a consecrated person.  The next step is meeting with my pastor.  I will probably wait to petition the Bishop after I've had more time to discern.  I don't want to rush into things, especially since I am still young.  :)

BTW, I have decided against LAMP.  The Sisters recommended that I complete my studies and I am in agreement.  I wanted to do LAMP as a good basis for trying life away from home so as to prepare to enter religious life.  I don't feel God is calling me to LAMP right now.  :)

I have to change this as I am no longer discerning religious life after spiritual direction from some Sisters.  It seems God is calling me down the path of Consecrated Virginity.  I feel called to be consecrated but religious life just doesn't seem like the right vocation for me as much as I love it.  It hurts still but when I think about being able to serve my home parish as a consecrated person, I get a great sense of peace in my heart and a smile on my face. 

I am still open to religious life but I've discovered there is so much more I can do in my home parish as a consecrated person.  The next step is meeting with my pastor.  I will probably wait to petition the Bishop after I've had more time to discern.  I don't want to rush into things, especially since I am still young.  :)

BTW, I have decided against LAMP.  The Sisters recommended that I complete my studies and I am in agreement.  I wanted to do LAMP as a good basis for trying life away from home so as to prepare to enter religious life.  I don't feel God is calling me to LAMP right now.  :)

Who can you get in touch with, other than your pastor? Are there are consecrated virgins in your diocese?

What did the sisters say to change your mind? Did they say you weren't called to their life, or to religious life specifically?... Were they the ones to suggest consecrated virginity?

Not trying to bombard you, just interested on your behalf... :)

OnlySunshine

Who can you get in touch with, other than your pastor? Are there are consecrated virgins in your diocese?

What did the sisters say to change your mind? Did they say you weren't called to their life, or to religious life specifically?... Were they the ones to suggest consecrated virginity?

Not trying to bombard you, just interested on your behalf... :)

I'm going to get in touch with a Consecrated Virgin in the Diocese of Sioux Falls, SD that was recommended to me by the Sisters.  I don't know of any Consecrated Virgins in my diocese, unfortunately.  There used to be one but I think she either moved or passed away as she is no longer listed in the diocese directory.

There were a few things that changed my discernment.  Besides talking to the Sisters, I have had difficulty with other communities.  I feel called to Consecrated Life but almost all communities have said that I am unable to enter because of medication and health needs.  I asked the Sisters what they thought I should do -- having Consecrated Virginity already in mind -- and when they said C.V., it was like a little nudge from the Holy Spirit.  It's something I've considered for a few years but thought I should discern religious life first.  It's not that I don't think I couldn't live religious life but other communities have said that my depression is an impediment.  The communities that said I could try it seem to be admitting almost anyone and I don't want to enter just anywhere.  I've discerned for over 5 years and I feel peaceful that I've come to the end of discerning religious life.  :)

OnlySunshine

I'm going to get in touch with a Consecrated Virgin in the Diocese of Sioux Falls, SD that was recommended to me by the Sisters.  I don't know of any Consecrated Virgins in my diocese, unfortunately.  There used to be one but I think she either moved or passed away as she is no longer listed in the diocese directory.

There were a few things that changed my discernment.  Besides talking to the Sisters, I have had difficulty with other communities.  I feel called to Consecrated Life but almost all communities have said that I am unable to enter because of medication and health needs.  I asked the Sisters what they thought I should do -- having Consecrated Virginity already in mind -- and when they said C.V., it was like a little nudge from the Holy Spirit.  It's something I've considered for a few years but thought I should discern religious life first.  It's not that I don't think I couldn't live religious life but other communities have said that my depression is an impediment.  The communities that said I could try it seem to be admitting almost anyone and I don't want to enter just anywhere.  I've discerned for over 5 years and I feel peaceful that I've come to the end of discerning religious life.  :)

I actually just discovered we have 2 Consecrated Virgins in our diocese!!  :yahoo:

I'm going to try to get in touch with them and see if they can help. 

I actually just discovered we have 2 Consecrated Virgins in our diocese!!  :yahoo:

I'm going to try to get in touch with them and see if they can help. 

Good luck with it! :)