An Old School Catholic Message Board

Come And Sees Targeting Young Discerner's.

nikita92

Now seems to be the season for the religious communities to post their schedules for their Come and Sees and open Visitation schedules. I just wanted to add a side note...even though I am fully informed of all the rules and regulations,reasons excluding the older/mature female..(and having pretty well rounded knowledge of those communities that do extend their age cut offs) I felt compelled to point out that these invitations could also be somewhat of a Bummer for those of us that cannot attend (as much as we would love to) because of our age! I am trying to view it as giving up something for lentI (even though I really haven't a choice) Because if I had freedom of choice...I would be taking advantage of some of the Come and sees invitations that have been posted on VS thus far. I don't expect a ton of replies on this...I just wanted to put it out there. I do like reading about others experiences after coming back from theirs. Thank you for possibly understanding.

I was targeted by the local seminary as a teenager. I know they meant well and it worked out for a lot of young men, but for me... well, by the end of my time in seminary I felt like I had been deceived.

I never wanted to go on one, partly because they're so clearly targeted at giddy gaggles. Seriously, how much discerning do you think happens on those retreats? I suspect they're mostly giggling and chatting...

If you want to discern with a community, go alone and enjoy the silence. That's what I do!

Well.. I think it depends on the come and see and the community... All of us have to start somewhere as far as discernment is concerned and sometimes that is as giggly girls instead of as mature young women... God is perfectly capable of bringing our relationship from one of immaturity to growth.