An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominican Rite Of Mass

ToJesusMyHeart

ToJesusMyHeart

Do any female Dominican orders (with ND and SMME in mind...but contemplative communities too!) celebrate Mass according to the Dominican Rite of the Order of Friars Preacher (OP), founded by St. Dominic in 1215?

Thanks! :)

The Dominican Rite is very beautiful, and while similar to the Tridentine Rite (Extraordinary Form) in many respects is also happily different in other aspects :)

I'm privileged to own a Dominican Rite missal. And yes I've attended it several times so I know what it's like and its uniqueness from personal experience. In fact the last time I assisted at it was a week ago - 1st Sunday of Lent - when a friar of the Fraternity of St. Vincent Ferrer of France offered it, but that's a different story :)

Marbury has it occasionally (see here: http://dominican-liturgy.blogspot.it/2012/09/come-and-see-monastery-of-st-jude.html). Linden, Buffalo, Summit and other monasteries also use at least some Dominican chant in their Office. I don't know of any other monastery which has the Mass itself currently, even occasionally, mostly due to their chaplains learning or re-learning it. You'd have the best luck in the Eastern and Western provinces, those Friars are the most interested. I don't know of any monastery which would object to its occasional celebration anyway.

And given their reverent OF liturgy and orthodoxy, I'm sure the ND's or SMME's would also love to assist at it occasionally but I haven't heard of it being celebrated at any of their houses.

As an aside, the SSPX-associated Dominican cloistered sisters in Avrillé, France do have it daily, being offered by their brother-community.

There are no sisters of the Fraternity of St. Vincent Ferrer, and the Dominicans of the Holy Spirit (Pontalec) I believe have the Roman rite but may have the Office in the Dominican Rite.

Hope this helps :)

Do any female Dominican orders (with ND and SMME in mind...but contemplative communities too!) celebrate Mass according to the Dominican Rite of the Order of Friars Preacher (OP), founded by St. Dominic in 1215?

Thanks! :)

ToJesusMyHeart

The Dominican Rite is very beautiful, and while similar to the Tridentine Rite (Extraordinary Form) in many respects is also happily different in other aspects :)

I'm privileged to own a Dominican Rite missal. And yes I've attended it several times so I know what it's like and its uniqueness from personal experience. In fact the last time I assisted at it was a week ago - 1st Sunday of Lent - when a friar of the Fraternity of St. Vincent Ferrer of France offered it, but that's a different story :)

Wonderful! Would you mind describing it to us? Such as how it is similar to and how it differs from the Tridentine Rite? I'd love to hear more about the liturgy itself. :)

Wonderful! Would you mind describing it to us? Such as how it is similar to and how it differs from the Tridentine Rite? I'd love to hear more about the liturgy itself. :)

What I know of it is that the prayers at the foot of the altar are different, that the priest already prepares the chalice earlier than usual in the Mass, that the place where the priest reads some of the prayers is different and that he spreads his arms during the Pater Noster. Other than that, it's just like the TLM.

Edited by NonNovi

ToJesusMyHeart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwNxyphURn8

What I know of it is that the prayers at the foot of the altar are different, that the priest already prepares the chalice earlier than usual in the Mass, that the place where the priest reads some of the prayers is different and that he spreads his arms during the Pater Noster. Other than that, it's just like the TLM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwNxyphURn8

Wow! Thanks you two!

No problem!   That's what comes from hanging out around HERE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEzL2aeubdw

St. Dominic's has beautiful liturgies, from Dominican Rite, to TLM, to contemporary, to candlight.

Related, but totally a tangent -- found this while looking for a video above.... it's about the pipe organ in the Church. 

I actually think the organ restoration was done a few years back, and that this video has just been posted (hey, they're still trying to pay it off....!). 

You should also know that a number of the photos and video clips in the video below are old -- because they show the building while we were having our windows restored (hence the odd looking 'hangings' and scaffolds you will see from time to time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56jv-tWx9z8

I was wrong, the priest spreads his arms right after consecration. Wikipedia has some information, but there is even a website on how to celebrate Mass according to the Dominican rite.

Only the most striking differences between the Dominican Rite and the Roman are mentioned here. The most important is in the manner of celebrating a low Mass. The celebrant in the Dominican Rite wears the amice over his head until the beginning of Mass, and prepares the chalice as soon as he reaches the altar. He says neither the Psalm "Judica me Deus," and the Confiteor, much shorter than the Roman, contains the name of St. Dominic. The Gloria and the Credo are begun at the centre of the altar and finished at the Missal. At the Offertory there is a simultaneous oblation of the Host and the chalice and only one prayer, the "Suscipe Sancta Trinitas". The Canon of the Mass is the same as the Canon of the Roman Rite, but the priest holds his hands and arms differently—for some parts of the Canon, his hands are folded, and immediately after the consecration, for the "Unde et Memores," he holds his arms in a cruciform position. The Dominican celebrant also says the "Agnus Dei" immediately after the "Pax Domini" and then recites the prayers "Hæc sacrosancta commixtio", "Domine Iesu Christe" and "Corpus et sanguis", after which follows the Communion, the priest receiving the Host from his left hand. No prayers are said at the consumption of the Precious Blood, the first prayer after the "Corpus et Sanguis" being the Communion.

In a solemn Mass the chalice was brought in procession to the altar during the Gloria, and the corporal was unfolded by the deacon during the singing of the Epistle. The chalice was prepared just after the subdeacon had sung the Epistle, with the ministers seated at the Epistle side of the sanctuary. The chalice was brought from the altar to the place where the celebrant was seated by the subdeacon, who poured the wine and water into it and replaced it on the altar. The incensing of the ministers occurred during the singing of the Preface. Throughout the rite the ministers also stood or moved into various patterns rather different from those of the old Roman Liturgy.

If I'm not mistaken, the brothers in the choir would also make a prostration  - maybe before receiving communion.  Can someone say for sure?

If I'm not mistaken, the brothers in the choir would also make a prostration  - maybe before receiving communion.  Can someone say for sure?

The Carthusians prostrate themselves in the choir stalls during consecration, I don't know if the Dominicans do that too.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Yes, this is correct. The older sisters tell me that they would make the venia at the Confiteor. This is why a "proper" Dominican choir is so wide between the stalls. Don't forget, for many years the nuns and brothers received Holy Communion only a few times a year. And they wore the cappa for Holy Communion as well.

Sister.... do you have any kind of a video clip of what a venia would look like? 

Or could you give us a verbal description?

I know, because of being in the Parish, but I bet a lot of the people on here don't know what that is....

Thank you!!!