An Old School Catholic Message Board

That's All, Folks! Or So I Thought...

marigold

Something really special that has been developing is a knowledge of belonging to Christ in a way I have not experienced before. Though I am dedicated to the new monastery for as far as God wants to take me into it, I feel that the totality of dying and living with Christ is now something that goes beyond a hope for monastic life.

I used to say the monastery was the only way for me to be saved. What I think I have come to understand is the radicality of the call to all Christians (and that has definitely been influenced by the martyrdom of our fellows in Syria and Lebanon) and that the implication for me is the same whatever God brings. I still believe monastic life is the best response; 'let my whole life be evidence to God that I have understood'. But should he not grant that, I will still be choosing to die with him so I can live with him.

That probably means poverty (a sense I have been following in sheer trust since I first dropped out of uni to pursue entering the monastery), celibacy (never thought I would see myself volunteer for that outside the support of a community), and if not obedience to, then closer contact with my spiritual father than I might otherwise keep (the hardest one of all!).

In other words, putting God as an absolute first at the sacrifice of good things like career and family, no matter what. It feels weird to have written it out. And scary, because those are the things I would most naturally go for. All my life I've wanted to be a successful writer, and my natural element is a big family with lots of kids running around - but my attempts to fulfil those desires have always led me away from Christ. And their opposites - failure in worldly success, and loneliness - have brought me right to him. So they have to go on the chopping block! :)

I will bless the Lord at all times, his praise shall continually be in my mouth
In the Lord shall my soul be praised, let the needy hear and be glad
O magnify the Lord with me, and let us exalt his name together
I sought the Lord and he heard me, and delivered me from all my tribulations
Come unto him and be enlightened, and your faces shall not be ashamed
This poor man cried and the Lord heard him, and saved him out of all his tribulations
The angel of the Lord will encamp round about them that fear him, and will deliver them
O taste and see that the Lord is good, blessed is the man that puts faith in him
O fear the Lord all ye his saints, for there is no want for them that fear him
The rich shall go hungry, but they that seek the Lord shall not be robbed of any good thing.

Aaaahh, why am I always out of props when I really want some? Invisible props to you.

Ten days till moving! :jester:

ETA: do you guys have any moving tips? We're going by truck and have at last count ~20 bags.

Edited by marigold

Hi Marigold,

Have all of life's little comforts with you in the car, or in clearly marked boxes at the back of the truck.

Kettle, mugs, tea and coffee etc.

Any personal comforts, religious items, bible, breviary, rosary, icon etc. etc.

Can you get at the microwave so that you can eat.

Small box with enough kitchen stuff; ditto

Have you got all your overnight essentials, a couple of changes of clothes and a few extras to hand.

Bedding, so you can crash the first night. Curtains; ditto. Handy in one black binliner, straight off the bed, straight back on -

make bed as soon as you arrive and have had a cup of tea!

Put all you connector cables, adaptors, chargers, extension leads in one place and any old spares lying around the house.

Have you got your phone or phone book so you can contact people?

Can you find all your essential/identity/legal papers. Flashpen with all important stuff so you can use any computer.

(TV with receiverbox and cables if needed. Radio with cable/power supply if needed. Alarm clock or phone if needed.)

Toilet paper, tissues, kitchen paper, disposable cloths, toilet, bathroom, kitchen cleaner.

Other usefuls: curtain hooks. Small tool kit with at least screwdrivers and spanners, possibly a hammer. Torch that works.

The little key to get into meter cupboards.

The little key for bleeding air out of radiators.

Nail scissors and tweezers. Wire cutters

PEN and PAPER so you can note down (in diary in red ink) all the meter readings or info for bills for gas, electric, phone, water etc.

CREDIT on mobile phone / smartphone. my iPhone was worth its weight in gold last time as I had no phone or internet for days.

I moved 7 times in 9 years, and anything precious, anything I needed fast, anything I couldn't afford to lose, and the cat were in the car with immediate supplies.

Label all your boxes and room where they came from.

I realise some people may be moving a whole household full and others small, and others will be moving into community, or communal living.

I have always kept the boxes for household items/electronics in the garage/loft/basement for moves. Very handy to be able to move everything easily.

(I have a small plastic box with a lid of all life's essentials from passport and docs, camera, small travel toothbrush etc. that fits into a small backpack ready for a quick getaway and holiday.)

Hope the move goes smoothly!

Ten days till moving! :jester:

ETA: do you guys have any moving tips? We're going by truck and have at last count ~20 bags.

Yay! Don't forget plenty of snacks and water - I like to think that I can just "shut up an' drive" and not worry about stopping for food since I'm just sitting there, not doing much; then I get miserable.

brandelynmarie

Duct tape. :)

And have scissors &/or pen knife & a sharpie marker on hand...

Fill water bottles a little less than half-way with water & freeze them laying on their sides. Open, then fill with water the rest of the way...

Wait, how far are y'all traveling??? :blink:

Edited by brandelynmarie

Hi Marigold,

Have all of life's little comforts with you in the car, or in clearly marked boxes at the back of the truck.

Kettle, mugs, tea and coffee etc.

Any personal comforts, religious items, bible, breviary, rosary, icon etc. etc.

Can you get at the microwave so that you can eat.

Small box with enough kitchen stuff; ditto

Have you got all your overnight essentials, a couple of changes of clothes and a few extras to hand.

Bedding, so you can crash the first night. Curtains; ditto. Handy in one black binliner, straight off the bed, straight back on -

make bed as soon as you arrive and have had a cup of tea!

Put all you connector cables, adaptors, chargers, extension leads in one place and any old spares lying around the house.

Have you got your phone or phone book so you can contact people?

Can you find all your essential/identity/legal papers. Flashpen with all important stuff so you can use any computer.

(TV with receiverbox and cables if needed. Radio with cable/power supply if needed. Alarm clock or phone if needed.)

Toilet paper, tissues, kitchen paper, disposable cloths, toilet, bathroom, kitchen cleaner.

Other usefuls: curtain hooks. Small tool kit with at least screwdrivers and spanners, possibly a hammer. Torch that works.

The little key to get into meter cupboards.

The little key for bleeding air out of radiators.

Nail scissors and tweezers. Wire cutters

PEN and PAPER so you can note down (in diary in red ink) all the meter readings or info for bills for gas, electric, phone, water etc.

CREDIT on mobile phone / smartphone. my iPhone was worth its weight in gold last time as I had no phone or internet for days.

I moved 7 times in 9 years, and anything precious, anything I needed fast, anything I couldn't afford to lose, and the cat were in the car with immediate supplies.

Label all your boxes and room where they came from.

I realise some people may be moving a whole household full and others small, and others will be moving into community, or communal living.

I have always kept the boxes for household items/electronics in the garage/loft/basement for moves. Very handy to be able to move everything easily.

(I have a small plastic box with a lid of all life's essentials from passport and docs, camera, small travel toothbrush etc. that fits into a small backpack ready for a quick getaway and holiday.)

Hope the move goes smoothly!

Lily May you are a PRO! I am genuinely impressed. You would be one to stick with in a nuclear holocaust. Thanks for all the tips!

Yay! Don't forget plenty of snacks and water - I like to think that I can just "shut up an' drive" and not worry about stopping for food since I'm just sitting there, not doing much; then I get miserable.

Story of my life.

Back in the day, the SAS flights we took to Sweden served full meals and unlimited snacks. They slowly cut down on them for years until the present situation where you get free tea and coffee but have to buy anything you want to eat. The meals got proportionally smaller as I grew older! But I still travel fully expecting to be catered for and am always surprised when I yet again stagger into the house feeling faint with hunger.

Duct tape. :)

And have scissors &/or pen knife & a sharpie marker on hand...

Fill water bottles a little less than half-way with water & freeze them laying on their sides. Open, then fill with water the rest of the way...

Wait, how far are y'all traveling??? :blink:

That would be telling :P  Good water tip though! Thanks!

Call ahead and make sure all the utilities (water, electric etc) are turned on. I remember when my family moved (in the middle of December) we had called our present utility company to let them know we were moving. It wasn't until we got the last load into the house and tried to turn on the lights that we found out the electricity was not on! It turns out that it was a totally different electric company and the person at our old company had forgotten to tell us that we would need to call the new company as well. I remember my dad standing on the back porch on his cell phone trying to get it all straightened around.

Pack wisely. put bags with stuff like clothing and toiletries on the top. Basically what you would need for a first night so if you get in and are super tired you just have to grab a bag or two and leave the rest of the bags in the car/truck. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we've moved and mostly settled in. We had a couple of days without electricity, and still don't have internet at home. We do need internet, including for my work plans, but it's been kind of nice even though it's an inconvenience. And good to realise that it's just that - an inconvenience.

I love our new city. We have two churches within walking distance and I've made a new priest-monk friend, been to confession, and had the house blessed.

God is good.

brandelynmarie

Well, we've moved and mostly settled in. We had a couple of days without electricity, and still don't have internet at home. We do need internet, including for my work plans, but it's been kind of nice even though it's an inconvenience. And good to realise that it's just that - an inconvenience.

I love our new city. We have two churches within walking distance and I've made a new priest-monk friend, been to confession, and had the house blessed.

God is good.

You go, girl! :dance2:

You've been busy! I'm always amazed at how much one can get done, especially when it feels overwhelming at the beginning. 

I'm currently getting ready to move again! This time to stay with my friend's parents for a couple of weeks because they live ALOT closer to my new job. Then hopefully I will be getting a place of my own!

You've been busy! I'm always amazed at how much one can get done, especially when it feels overwhelming at the beginning. 

I'm currently getting ready to move again! This time to stay with my friend's parents for a couple of weeks because they live ALOT closer to my new job. Then hopefully I will be getting a place of my own!

That's great! I'm so glad things have come around for you. I've done an unexpected 180 a couple of times and it can be really scary, but somehow I always land on my feet. I want to hear how things go :)

So I'm all moved in (but not quite settled).  Its nice to be sleeping on an actual bed instead of a couch! This week was my first week at my job and I really love it there. It is a small department and everyone is really nice. I'm just learning the ropes for right now but there is lots to do. Its super strange to have my nights and weekends free. It has been a very long time since that happened.

As much as I want to get my own place I'm thinking it might be a bit wiser to wait an extra week or two to really make sure that I will be hired on after my temp period is over. I don't want to have to break a lease.