An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vs Has Been Taken Over By Dominicans

mysisterisalittlesister

mysisterisalittlesister

It's seriously getting really overwhelming.

Franciscans are better. But you won't believe me until you get to heaven. Then, God will tell you Himself :)

Pax_et bonum

franciscans1.jpg

From one brother to another, friars find hard life is heaven

[spoiler]Before a group of Franciscan friars could move into a former convent at St. James the Less Catholic Church, they did a little remodeling.

They tore out carpet, ripped down wallpaper and removed curtains, all with the goal of doing away with creature comforts.

In keeping with the austere lifestyle espoused by St. Francis of Assisi in the 13th century, the Franciscan Brothers Minor live as modestly as possible. They wear brown hooded robes cut in the shape of the cross. They rarely wear shoes. They sleep on the floor. They have no television or computer or telephone. They have no cash or savings accounts, and they depend on donations to eat.

Despite the restrictions, the friars live “happily and joyfully,” said Brother Giles Mary, who serves as guardian of the friary.

“That should inspire people … to grow close to Christ, to cut off those things that could get between you and Christ,” he said.

Through the lifestyle, Franciscans seek to follow the advice Jesus gave to a rich young man in Matthew 19:21: “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor. ... Then come follow me.”

The 10 men living in the North Linden friary are members of a community of about two dozen friars formed in Harrisburg, Pa., in 2009 and now based in Fort Wayne, Ind. They moved to Columbus in May so some of the brothers could study at the Pontifical College Josephinum, a Catholic seminary on the Far North Side.

The friars have become part of the St. James parish community, joining a Bible study and attending Mass at the church as well as the parish school, even helping out by shoveling snow, office administrator Mary Souder said.

The friars’ striking appearance gains the attention of both schoolchildren and parishioners, Souder said, and they have made a positive impact through their lifestyle and willingness to take prayer requests.

“It is remarkable to see men dedicate their lives this way,” she said.

The friars come from various backgrounds. Some were wealthy and educated, others were poor, but they all left their lives to focus on prayer and preaching, said Brother Giles Mary. He was working for his father, a motorcycle dealer, when he felt the call to be part of the brotherhood.

“It’s the inspiration of the Gospels that was St. Francis’ inspiration, and I feel really akin to him in that way,” he said.

Franciscan friars take vows of poverty, chastity and obedience and pledge devotion to the Virgin Mary. When becoming a friar, it is common to take on a religious name that includes a form of Mary. Among the friars living in Columbus are Brother Crispin Maria and Brother Pascal Mary.

The friary, largely closed to the public, includes a chapel, library, dining hall, kitchen and small rooms where the brothers sleep in sleeping bags. A parlor area for receiving guests features wooden chairs, a wooden table, bookshelves and religious statues.

Each brother has a particular role, from tailor to cook. Some go door to door evangelizing — spreading the message of the Gospels and giving out religious medals that feature an image of Mary — and asking for food. The friars also practice youth ministry, speaking to classes at local schools, and serve the poor, helping out at the Holy Family Soup Kitchen and giving away any excess food they receive.

They also attend Mass daily and pray several times a day, both together and in private. When they’re not praying or serving, they study, read, do chores, write letters to family, rest or participate in community events.In the fall, for example, they performed at a Marian concert at the closed St. Leo Catholic Church on the South Side as a fundraiser for the church’s preservation society.

“It’s an intense spiritual life with a lot of prayer and just going deeper in isolation with God for the sake of other people,” Brother Giles Mary said.

“We try to be the image of Christ for the world.”[/spoiler]

IgnatiusofLoyola

It's about time there were some Dominican posts in VS. For awhile there I thought it should be renamed "Carmelite Corner!" (I have nothing against the Carmelites at all--it's just that a balance of Orders is nice and for awhile there was a dearth of Dominicans.)

DiscerningCatholic

Yeah, well the Dominicans just won 20,000 dollars on a game show to put toward their priory. 

Beat that. :|

mysisterisalittlesister

Yeah, well the Dominicans just won 20,000 dollars on a game show to put toward their priory. 

Beat that. :|

Poverty's way cooler that 20,000 bucks ;)

I think we could all stand to be a little smarter and joyful-er.

So how about we all genuflect and make up?

It's about time there were some Dominican posts in VS. For awhile there I thought it should be renamed "Carmelite Corner!" (I have nothing against the Carmelites at all--it's just that a balance of Orders is nice and for awhile there was a dearth of Dominicans.)

:hehe:

I always thought that too. 

But Benedictines are neglected around here, and they're so awe.some!