An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vs Has Been Taken Over By Dominicans

mysisterisalittlesister

PhuturePriest

It's seriously getting really overwhelming.

Franciscans are better. But you won't believe me until you get to heaven. Then, God will tell you Himself :)

This post is full of win.

But Benedictines are neglected around here, and they're so awe.some! 

Tell me about it. I also thought it was over-Carmelited for a long time. Maybe it comes in waves.

It's about time for a Visitandine wave, wouldn't you say? ;-)

dominicansoul

I'm almost positive most Franciscan communities are in possession of enough money to keep their houses in order.   Poverty does not necessarily mean "without financial stability."

The DSMME have to beg in order to keep their operations going.   Winning 20,000 isn't a violation of poverty, it's actually a gift from God for some needed financial help!

Just wanting to clarify that.. :)

dominicansoul

Also, Dominican poverty is different than Franciscan poverty... As Dominicans, we need the moneys to go to college and study.  We need the equipment to help us to study (books, computers, etc.)  Studying is one of the main disciplines of the Order of Preachers.  The thing is, none of the materials we are given belong to us, they are shared as a community, and that is what the poverty entails.

Now when it comes to material poverty, no one even comes close to the Sisters of Charity's poverty! :topsy:

Guest Allie

I just finished reading Mother Mary Francis' book "A Right to be Merry". In it she says"What we love, we make beautiful...." and goes on to describe the cleanliness and brightness of Poor Clare (Franciscan) poverty.  When I read that my heart sang "YES!" and I had to stop reading because of tears.  So too maybe--keep in mind I don't really know what I'm talking about--Dominicans show the beauty of study, Carmelites, comtemplative prayer, Benedictines Liturgy, Vistiandines the bright fidelity of the Salesians etc .  All of them are poor, study, pray, live in community together and live in the Liturgical heart of the Church.  But for me, "Allie", I'm in love with the 'Poor Christ" who enchanted Francis and Clare and continues to call their children.    Just a thought from a graduate of De Sales Academy, taught by Dominican Sisters. :saint2:

PhuturePriest

Well the Dominicans are under the Mantle of Mary in heaven!!!

:|

Franciscan's aren't so prideful that they consider themselves so highly.

dominicansoul

nah, lilmonster is just talking about the story of St. Dominic seeing a vision of heaven and not finding any of his Preachers there began to weep and Mary opening up her Mantle to show him they were all under there.

I'm sure every religious community has the same type of story told to them... lol

PhuturePriest

I'm almost positive most Franciscan communities are in possession of enough money to keep their houses in order.   Poverty does not necessarily mean "without financial stability."

The DSMME have to beg in order to keep their operations going.   Winning 20,000 isn't a violation of poverty, it's actually a gift from God for some needed financial help!

Perhaps most Franciscans. But the Franciscan Brothers Minor live on basically nothing. They require donations to eat, otherwise they can't. They have absolutely no income at all, living solely on Divine Providence. They asked me to fly up with them, saying they would pay for it, but the only reason they could is because a wealthy benefactor was going to pay for it. Once the money was gone, I couldn't go because they don't have any money.

dominicansoul

are those the ones that were founded in late 90's?  I met those guys.  Talk about poverty!  You are right, they came to the Ann Arbor Motherhouse in the dead of winter for a visit in their barefeet! :)

Now when it comes to material poverty, no one even comes close to the Sisters of Charity's poverty! :topsy:

you mean missionaries of charity????

nah, lilmonster is just talking about the story of St. Dominic seeing a vision of heaven and not finding any of his Preachers there began to weep and Mary opening up her Mantle to show him they were all under there.

:X

mysisterisalittlesister

Oh, I totally understand :) And what Allie said is SO true! The whole thing about how Franciscans show the beauty of poverty, and the Dom doms show the beauty of study, all that stuff.

Franciscans are still better.

Perhaps most Franciscans. But the Franciscan Brothers Minor live on basically nothing. They require donations to eat, otherwise they can't. They have absolutely no income at all, living solely on Divine Providence. They asked me to fly up with them, saying they would pay for it, but the only reason they could is because a wealthy benefactor was going to pay for it. Once the money was gone, I couldn't go because they don't have any money.

Religious poverty is not a competition. A Franciscan poverty and a Dominican poverty and a Benedictine poverty and so on are not the same. But that does not make one or the other better or lesser.