An Old School Catholic Message Board

"leonie!" Movie Buy Now On Dvd - Leonie, St. Therse's

Chiara Francesco

Chiara Francesco

On the life of Leonie, St. Therese's blood sister who became a Visitation nun in Caen, called Sr. Francoise Therese.

http://www.ignatius.com/Products/LEO-M/leonie.aspx?AID=536336&PID=7049083 - from Ignatius Press:

LEO-M.jpg

Availability: - In Stock Length: 90 minutes Edition: DVD Code: LEO-M Retail Price: $24.95 Web Sale Price: $22.45

Mary+Immaculate<3

Some of this was filmed at a convent like 20 minutes from my house, and one of my best friends is and extra in it!!!

OnlySunshine

I really want to see this but I'm not sure I want to buy it yet.  :hmmm:

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Chiara Francesco

I bought it, it came yesterday and I watched it.  I have read many books on St. Therese, her family, sisters and have had and read two bios on Leonie and this movie is not bad.  Like all or any movie, it is not going to please everyone.  I saw some things I wished they included like Leonie getting her copy of "The Little Way" which was a  circular and published after St. Therese's death which aided Leonie in changing and being a saint herself in her monastery but they didn't (a small scene of this is in the Deleted Scenes section).  Plus, I did wish they got the Poor Clare habit (when Leonie was a PC for a short while) right as they look like Benedictines with a Franciscan cord! and Carmelite habits weren't the greatest - the headwear was off and messy looking.  Then there is the way they had some of her sisters act and others which don't jive with what is known of them in countless bios and other books.  These really aren't complaints or whinings - though it seems like it but it's hard to convey otherwise in text format! - but just things that are easily seen and noticed.  But I really liked the movie.

But overall I liked it and am glad I bought it.  It's hard to not be a little critical or complain of things left out or changed when you know so much about Leonie as I and others do.  But these people at Holy Trinity Productions should be commended on making a film on Leonie and have plans to do others.  They are a fairly new company and don't have cream-of-the-crop writers, directors, etc on their team but they are trying to do God's work and spreading our faith and saints to people who might not otherwise every hear, know or learn about them.  Sure the acting was not Hollywood level and without Hollywood stars but I am glad it wasn't in a way as I wouldn't want to see some well known Hollywood actress known for sinful ways and behaviors playing Leonie or her sisters!

I would say if you could easily afford to buy the movie do so to support Holy Trinity Productions.  If no one does or very few do, they might not get support or backing to do more movies on saints.  The cost isn't to bad.  We - and myself included - spend money on much more useless things that are of NO value or use spiritually or in any other way in the end. 

But it WAS a treat to see inside the Visitation monastery of Toledo and see their corridors, choir, infirmary, cells, chapel (inside and out) of the scenes when Leonie was in the Visitation.

Edited by Chiara Francesco