An Old School Catholic Message Board

So.

DiscerningCatholic

On a serious note, I would visit one other Dominican congregation (so that you can see how the spirituality is lived out differently) and one congregation of another spirituality entirely (so you have something to compare). It can't hurt.

This seems like sensible advice.

I also think it makes sense to look at a community that is more conservative/traditional than you think would be a good fit for you, and a community that is more progressive.

I didn't say you need to ENTER there.  But get to know them well enough so that you can understand why that would be attractive to someone, even if that someone is not you.  (Hint: if your answers are "because they want to take the easy way out with all the strict rules and regulations you don't ever have to grow up" or "because they hate religious life and the Church and probably Jesus too" then look again!)

DiscerningCatholic

"You may be in your civvies now, but God looks down at you and still sees you in your Dominican habit." 

That made me cry. That's beautiful.

FutureSister2009

When I was discerning, I visited these communities in this order:

1st Daughters of St. Paul.  I discerned with them for 7 years...(I was slow.)  I mean, I didn't know I was discerning, I just liked hanging out with them in San Antonio.  Made a great many friends and visited the Motherhouse in Boston several times.  When I finally woke up to the thought that God may be calling me into religious life, I went to them first.  They too wanted me to go visit other places because I had only been with them, and I didn't really know the vast array of charisms the Church has to offer.

2nd The Incarnate Word Sisters in Victoria Texas.  These sisters are really amesome.  They seemed to be in a transitional phase when I visited them.  They all wore habits in different ways, they weren't really uniform in that.  But their zeal and their passion for the Church was very evident.  They also taught me everything I needed to know about charisms and the differences in religious living.  IT was a very educational and amesome weekend with these sisters.

3rd The Carmelite Sisters DCJ in St. Louis.  This is what really woke me up to the various differences in congregations.  For the first time I witnessed MONASTIC life!!!! :love:  My heart grew very troubled after visiting them, because I loved the Paulines and knew they were my community, but then again....they are not monastic, and I really felt attracted to the monastic life. 

Then one of my friends entered the Nashies.  I had not heard of them.  I started to research St. Dominic, who he was, how the community was started, and I instantly fell in love with him, his mission, the charism of the Dominicans, and I never turned back.  I eventually wound up with the DSMME.  To this day I live my life as a Dominican.  If God wills, I would like to wind up dying in some Dominican convent somewhere, but if I never go back, I'll be content in knowing that St. Dominic is my spiritual papa, and I know he's praying for me and I'm one of his daughers.  One of my DSMME sisters wrote to me and said, "You may be in your civvies now, but God looks down at you and still sees you in your Dominican habit."  I really liked that because I feel that I wear it around my heart.

Funny you mentioned the Daughters of St. Paul Motherhouse in BOSTON

DiscerningCatholic

At this rate, I'm gonna need to take donations so I can visit all these nuns. :| I might go visit the Nashies next year; I'm too young right now.

dominicansoul

Funny you mentioned the Daughters of St. Paul Motherhouse in BOSTON

Did you read my explanation in that thread?  I really was just trying to reassure you.  I was mentioning what region of Boston they are located at.  The Motherhouse is in Jamaica Plain, which is not near the bombing site. :)

FutureSister2009

Did you read my explanation in that thread?  I really was just trying to reassure you.  I was mentioning what region of Boston they are located at.  The Motherhouse is in Jamaica Plain, which is not near the bombing site. :)

You mean Jamaica Plain is in Boston? It sounds like it's in Jamaica. No wonder I was so confused. I'm sorry

DiscerningCatholic

I think that FS thought that DS meant that the FSP motherhouse is in Jamaica. So I think that FS said, "You mean the Daughters of St. Paul motherhouse in BOSTON" to correct DS since she thought that DS meant something that she didn't really mean.

dominicansoul

Yes, it's very misunderstandable, and my initial post in that other thread, I should have explained it better...

Boston has several areas with their own names, the Sisters live in the area called Jamaica Plain.  It is confusing. lol.

FutureSister2009

I think that FS thought that DS meant that the FSP motherhouse is in Jamaica. So I think that FS said, "You mean the Daughters of St. Paul motherhouse in BOSTON" to correct DS since she thought that DS meant something that she didn't really mean.

In a nutshell yes that is what happened

DiscerningCatholic

you saying it made you cry, made me cry :|

I didn't realize that saying something made me cry could be so moving. :|

I didn't realize that saying something made me cry could be so moving. :|

Very few things are as moving as someone else's tears.

3rd The Carmelite Sisters DCJ in St. Louis.  This is what really woke me up to the various differences in congregations. 

To this day I live my life as a Dominican.  If God wills, I would like to wind up dying in some Dominican convent somewhere, but if I never go back, I'll be content in knowing that St. Dominic is my spiritual papa, and I know he's praying for me and I'm one of his daughers.  One of my DSMME sisters wrote to me and said, "You may be in your civvies now, but God looks down at you and still sees you in your Dominican habit."  I really liked that because I feel that I wear it around my heart.

You never mentioned your visit with the OCD Carmelites in San Antonio!! :|

God sees you with that brown scapular flapping around on your neck too!!

Guest Allie

You never mentioned your visit with the OCD Carmelites in San Antonio!! :|

God sees you with that brown scapular flapping around on your neck too!!

Do scapulars flap (like wings)? :pigsfly: