An Old School Catholic Message Board

Letting Go Of A Loved Animal Companion (aka Pet)

Guest Allie

I have 2 Tuxedo male cats. When I was on my "Come and See" earlier in the year w/The sisters of St.Rita, I kept imagining (on purpose) what it would be like to NOT have them in my life; yet knowing they would be with people who they know,and in a environment that they are comfortable and familiar with.(I consider myself blessed with having that ONLY option) While it gave me peace, I know I would have to "deal" in time with the aspect of missing both of them! My perspective is...Dogs on the other hand,are really differently affected (than cats) and do suffer from separation anxiety from their pet parents! That is a proven and fact based condition! example- Ever see those video clips of military personnel coming home (after being deployed for very long periods of time away)and the filmed reactions of their dogs??? Proof is in the pudding! If pets are in a healthy, loving, needs met environment, I don't believe they JUST LEAVE (especially after 10 years) TERESA TOMEO ( a recognised catholic figure in the media field) has talked about what SHE thinks happens to animals and pets souls after they pass..which she expressed is the direct opposite of what happens to us after we do! I was kind of shocked upon hearing what she had to say about it on the air!!!! Now I wonder what the Catholic viewpoint is on pets and their passing. I was listening to Scared Heart radio call in program to a female discerner's question of being able to bring her cat with her (the guest speaker was Mother Miriam of the lamb of god OSB) if she were to enter a community? Mother's answer was a kindly "NO" and added that if she brought HER cat, everyone else would be able to bring theirs and convents would be filled with felines, plus their are those who have animal allergies and cant be around them. Pets become a extension of us and therefor having to leave them behind in the aspect of entering a community is NOT a light decision that includes (for some) dealing with the prospect of experiancing some form of distress at the impending loss (grief) of their bond which has been formed with their pet(s)! We are human..it is real,it happens and we need to address it. I have seen a picture of Mother Angelica on the Internet in one photo holding "her favorite" (Tuxedo) cat "Frankie".There are others. This was addressed August 16 2010 on Catholic Answers Forums >Vocations Also on here March 14 2012 started by Annie12. Convents and Monasteries have animals (even from the get-go) Just not "Personal" ones. Although..Julien of Norwich pictures often depicts her holding "her" cat! Lol We must remind ourselves...the rewards of sacrifice will be given to us in the end!!!

FFI Griswold

Ave Maria!

My sister's little Lhasa was our family dog, her "baby", and was 16 when he passed away, about a year after I entered. I know it was very difficult for her, but I pray that God continues to instill in her (and me) the detachment necessary and the knowledge of the infinitely greater value of human souls and unsurpassable joy of the beatific vision. We also lost the family rabbit, but are left with 2 cats. It's a good offering of suffering I think, and a test of where our hearts should truly be.

The Absorbeat (thanksgiving after communion):

May the power of your love, O Lord, fiery and sweet as honey, wean my heart from everything under heaven, so that I may die for you love, who who were so good as to die for love of my love...

At our postulant friary we have 2 cats that are more like puppies than cats, and here at the novitiate we also have 2 cats, but they're more independent and think they own the place.

"If you need your pet to be happy in heaven, God will let it be heaven." -anonymous

and of course a communion prayer by our Seraphic Doctor, St. Bonaventure,

Pierce, O most Sweet Lord Jesus, my inmost soul with the most joyous and healthful wound of Thy love, with true, serene, and most holy apostolic charity, that my soul may ever languish and melt with love and longing for Thee, that it may yearn for Thee and faint for Thy courts, and long to be dissolved and to be with Thee.

Grant that my soul may hunger after Thee, the bread of angels, the refreshment of holy souls, our daily and supersubstantial bread, having all sweetness and savor and every delight of taste; let my heart ever hunger after and feed upon Thee, upon whom the angels desire to look, and may my inmost soul be filled with the sweetness of Thy savor; may it ever thirst after Thee, the fountain of life, the fountain of wisdom and knowledge, the fountain of eternal light, the torrent of pleasure, the richness of the house of God.

May it ever compass Thee, seek Thee, find Thee, run to Thee, attain Thee, meditate upon Thee, speak of Thee, and do all things to the praise and glory of Thy name, with humility and discretion, with love and delight, with ease and affection, and with perseverance unto the end.

May Thou alone be ever my hope, my entire assurance, my riches, my delight, my pleasure, my joy, my rest and tranquility, my peace, my sweetness, my fragrance, my sweet savor, my food, my refreshment, my refuge, my help, my wisdom, my portion, my possession and my treasure, in whom may my mind and my heart be fixed and firmly rooted immovably henceforth and for ever. Amen.

Say prayers like these everyday with an earnest heart, and I'm sure Our Lady will help you detach. Ave Maria!

In the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Friar John Paul

My cat suffers from separation anxiety ... she likes company, so if I'm gone for a few days she promptly will attach to me like there was no tomorrow.

I wonder what her reaction will be after 30 days of not seeing momma (I have a cat sitter who will come by to make sure she's ok and to play with her a bit).

TheresaThoma

If your cat is anything like mine she will ignore you for five minutes (just to make sure that you know she is mad at you) and then proceed to attach herself to you and purr like mad. This past summer I was on a 10 week internship out of state and when I got back my cat ignored me (wouldn't let me pick her up or anything) for about 5 minutes and then wanted lots of love!

Guest Allie

If your cat is anything like mine she will ignore you for five minutes (just to make sure that you know she is mad at you) and then proceed to attach herself to you and purr like mad. This past summer I was on a 10 week internship out of state and when I got back my cat ignored me (wouldn't let me pick her up or anything) for about 5 minutes and then wanted lots of love!

When I did my "Junior Year Abroad" Kitty went back to my folks.  When I  came home picked him up he clawed my hand and then wouldn't stay out of contact with my body for any length of time for a couple days.  I even hand fed him on my lap. Thank God he loves my parents.

• 8 years later...
gloriana35

Hello, Aramissa - No-one could have loved her cats more than I did/do, and it certainly is understandable that one could be anxious. I'm just asking, so others can see what support you need: since you are agnostic, you would not be looking to enter a religious community. Could you be more specific about what is worrying you? (The thread is eight years old.) 

Years ago, whenever I was travelling, my cat was cared for by my parents, who lived in the same building. When I returned, she waited till I was looking through my mail, and peed on either the newspaper or my fake Oriental rug... then cuddled and purred on my belly till dawn.

8 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

I'm an animal lover. But what is this doing on the Vocations Phorum?

I think the poster is a bot or spammer.