An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monastic Community Of Jerusalem

the171

Can anyone give me the down low on these sisters? I understand the basics. Monastics working and living in the world. French-based. Gimme dem juicy details. ;)

beatitude

They follow the spirituality of Bl. Charles de Foucauld. I can give you some info about that. :) I am part of the de Foucauld family. Bl. Charles advocated a hidden spirituality, like that of Jesus in Nazareth, where he lived as a child and then worked as an unknown and humble carpenter for thirty years. Bl. Charles noted that while Jesus could have accomplished much with his speech at that time, he knew that he could do more by his silence. Communities with this spirituality aim to live in solidarity with people in their ordinary lives, especially those who are poor or struggling, recognising that the ordinary is very sacred - our home with God.

I don't know anything about the Monastic Community of Jerusalem specifically, except that they aim to provide a loving prayerful presence in cities, and they have beautiful music. Savvy might be able to tell you more. She has spent time with them.

Edited by beatitude

Can anyone give me the down low on these sisters? I understand the basics. Monastics working and living in the world. French-based. Gimme dem juicy details.  ;)

I did spent some time with this community, as beatitude mentioned. They are monastics that live in the heart of cities, where they have part-time jobs. Their liturgy is open to the city, and is meant to create an oasis in the city.

They follow the rule of St. Benedict and St. Basil, both Eastern and Western monasticism.

Their liturgies have a very Eastern vibe to them. Their liturgy is in French.

Edited by savvy