An Old School Catholic Message Board

Non-habited Communities.

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

Surprise, surprise and truth be told -  I'm feeling more and more called to one!

I know there are a variety of views on what the habit represents. Some I've heard state that the habit shows or achieves:

- a person's commitment to God

- visibility and promotion of the church

- sets communities apart

etc., etc.

I also know some people who see habited communities as more "authentic" or "faithful" than non-habited. 

What do you guys think about them? I'm not interested in debating or criticising opinions. My interest derives from the fact that until recently I upheld some of the views above and was not even considering discerning with a non-habited community. Now much seems to have changed :)

Edited by Spem in alium

Go where you're heart is leading you! my personal perspective on habits (or not) doesn't matter. here's one for you....does anyone know of a (mostly young) fairly new religious community that does NOT wear any kind of a habit??

OnlySunshine

Apostles of the Interior Life is a beautiful community.  I looked at them but never contacted them.  They are non-habited but very dedicated to the New Evangelization with apostolates in spiritual direction, retreats, and missions.

AccountDeleted

I, too, have changed my views on this matter - but then I have changed my views on many things quite radically over the past seven years of discernment.

All I can say is that our Vicar for Religious belongs to a non-habited community and she is a.wesome. Last time I saw her, she was wearing a mid calf length skirt and a modest pullover with her community's insignia on a chain around her neck (I didn't get close enough to actually see what it looked like, so next time I meet her I might ask if she will show it to me). She looks classy and modest. She is a clinical psychologist and a trainer as well as being a sister and a Vicar -- and she has been wonderful to our community helping us with so many issues.

I happen to be in a community that is fully habited, but this is no longer an issue for me and if I did feel called to a community that didn't wear one, then I would have no hesitation in checking them out. Jesus told the Pharisees that they worried too much about cleaning the outside of the bowl, when what was inside was more important. I think that sometimes we can lose focus on this point as well. There are many very valid reasons for a community to choose to wear simple dress instead of a habit.

So spem in alum - if you feel that you are called to a community without a habit - and you think they are the right community for you - then go for it! :)

dymphnamaria

I have no issues with those new religious communties not wearing habit. What disappoints me are those non-habited communities who used to wear traditional habit before. Why would they change the mind of their founder? I remember a superior of a community said that she has to rise from her grave if the sisters would abandon their habit or even make changes of it to the point making it modern.

I owe my conversion to non-habited sisters. A habit does not make a sister.

Edited by EmilyAnn

I have no issues with those new religious communties not wearing habit. What disappoints me are those non-habited communities who used to wear traditional habit before. Why would they change the mind of their founder? I remember a superior of a community said that she has to rise from her grave if the sisters would abandon their habit or even make changes of it to the point making it modern.

For many, the habit was never in their constitutions. (eg- Daughters of Charity)

Spem in alium

Go where you're heart is leading you! my personal perspective on habits (or not) doesn't matter. here's one for you....does anyone know of a (mostly young) fairly new religious community that does NOT wear any kind of a habit??

Thank you. I am not entirely sure of it yet. The community I'm presently most interested in is an older community, but with some young members in their 30s. 

I, too, have changed my views on this matter - but then I have changed my views on many things quite radically over the past seven years of discernment.

All I can say is that our Vicar for Religious belongs to a non-habited community and she is a.wesome. Last time I saw her, she was wearing a mid calf length skirt and a modest pullover with her community's insignia on a chain around her neck (I didn't get close enough to actually see what it looked like, so next time I meet her I might ask if she will show it to me). She looks classy and modest. She is a clinical psychologist and a trainer as well as being a sister and a Vicar -- and she has been wonderful to our community helping us with so many issues.

I happen to be in a community that is fully habited, but this is no longer an issue for me and if I did feel called to a community that didn't wear one, then I would have no hesitation in checking them out. Jesus told the Pharisees that they worried too much about cleaning the outside of the bowl, when what was inside was more important. I think that sometimes we can lose focus on this point as well. There are many very valid reasons for a community to choose to wear simple dress instead of a habit.

So spem in alum - if you feel that you are called to a community without a habit - and you think they are the right community for you - then go for it! :)

Thank you! I was on retreat with these Sisters over the weekend - the Sisters of the Good Samaritan. Until my retreat with them, I had thought: "I will never be called to this community, because they aren't habited". I didn't have a good idea of their mission either. It sounds silly to me now, because I had a wonderful time and really felt as though something within their community and way of life was calling me. All the Sisters were wearing modest clothing with their insignia. Some wore pants but most wore skirts. I don't feel the habit (or lack of) is directing my call, but the mission. Not even sure yet whether they are where I am being called by God or whether it's just an attraction to the work they do or to the fact that I'm on intimate, close terms with some of them. But I'm not sure I'll ever know with certainty, so I just try and seek God in new places :) 

They used to wear a habit. They are a Benedictine community (love, love, LOVE!) and I'm not sure what their constitution says about the habit. It sounds like something worthwhile to check. I feel very close to Benedictine spirituality and do have the option here of getting in touch with a habited, contemplative community - but I feel as though I would be more suited to an active ministry. 

I owe my conversion to non-habited sisters. A habit does not make a sister.

Agreed. :)

To Jesus Through Mary

Wwwoooooowwwwwwww- :o  This is like a whole new VS!

I am still partial to habits, for the all the reasons we have all discussed like a million times. But I have to say how awesome it is that so many people are open to change their perspective on something, 

AccountDeleted

Spem - maybe you could have a chat with one of these sisters about the habit, to understand better their point of view? I had a Good Sam as my spiritual director for about 2 months, and at the time I was very judgmental of her not wearing a habit, and I even argued with her about this point. She very calmly tried to explain to me the reasoning behind their changes and what it means to her now, but I was too close-minded to be able to accept that her point of view was just as valid as my own very narrow one, and I ended up changing spiritual directors because I was focused so much on the externals that I was unable to be open even to her very sound and valid (and faithful) advice about other things. I ended up with a spiritual director who was even more narrow minded than I was at the time, and our relationship ended in disaster, with him not only refusing to direct me ever again, but also refusing to write a letter of reference to a community where I had applied. I saw in him my own reflection and it was scary.

The Good Sams do wonderful work and I am ashamed now at my behavior towards my former director and her community. I hope I have grown a little since then. I know that I have changed a lot and I thank God for showing me in many small ways that the things of the spirit are where our focus needs to lie.

As has been said - follow your heart and trust in God to provide you with you need.

Spem in alium

Wwwoooooowwwwwwww- :o  This is like a whole new VS!

I am still partial to habits, for the all the reasons we have all discussed like a million times. But I have to say how amesome it is that so many people are open to change their perspective on something, 

:) Definitely awesome.

Spem - maybe you could have a chat with one of these sisters about the habit, to understand better their point of view? I had a Good Sam as my spiritual director for about 2 months, and at the time I was very judgmental of her not wearing a habit, and I even argued with her about this point. She very calmly tried to explain to me the reasoning behind their changes and what it means to her now, but I was too close-minded to be able to accept that her point of view was just as valid as my own very narrow one, and I ended up changing spiritual directors because I was focused so much on the externals that I was unable to be open even to her very sound and valid (and faithful) advice about other things. I ended up with a spiritual director who was even more narrow minded than I was at the time, and our relationship ended in disaster, with him not only refusing to direct me ever again, but also refusing to write a letter of reference to a community where I had applied. I saw in him my own reflection and it was scary.

The Good Sams do wonderful work and I am ashamed now at my behavior towards my former director and her community. I hope I have grown a little since then. I know that I have changed a lot and I thank God for showing me in many small ways that the things of the spirit are where our focus needs to lie.

As has been said - follow your heart and trust in God to provide you with you need.

We had a brief chat about it at the retreat, but I agree that it would be good to get their views. I may be having spiritual direction or accompaniment with them. Thank you for being so open and wise in your advice, it's really appreciated :)

TheLordsSouljah

Well ma dear, I once felt that habit-less sisters were all ridiculous social workers, but I have come to change my view muchly. The change came especially through meeting the MGL sisters and some consecrated single women. They still wear some sort of habit, but I must say it is the state of life that matters. They are certainly not nuns per say, but they are still consecrated sisters doing work for God, and while habits are wonderful, sometimes people will not listen to religious just because they have habits on. They definitely have their place in the Church. I say God bless you!! :)

dominicansoul

Just a quick FYI: according to the spirit of our founder, no Dominican should be habit-less.  The habit encompasses a rich symbolism of bethrothal to the Christ, as well as serves as a spiritual armour against the wickedness and snares of the devil...

...that is all :)