An Old School Catholic Message Board

Common Sense Statement

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

Dear people of Phatmass, I love each and every one of you dearly. You have all stuck with me through difficult times, and I cannot ever repay you for this. However, there is something of importance I must say.

Some of you have taken a liking to making jokes about my sexuality. I thought they were funny at first, but it progressively has gotten worse, and I have something to tell you: joking about somene's sexuality isn't funny. At all. It's a serious issue. It's hurtful for those who are gay, and hurtful for those who are not.

Yes, I know I love romance stories and have been writing them since I was eleven. Yes, I like One Direction and the theater and I openly cry during romantic comedies. And yes, one of my favorite books is even Anne of Green Gables. I realize it's easy to take a cheap shot at someone when they like these things. But I get enough of the jokes about my sexuality off the Internet that I have no desire to see them on the Internet as well. Not one of the things I posted above means I'm gay and you have no right as a human being to joke about me or anyone else in that way.

Thank you for your time.

jazzytakara

I've never understood why liking certain things and not other things indicates any kind of sexuality. I have a cousin who is gay and he likes none of the things listed above. Lesson of this story: what people like and don't like has nothing to do with who they are, especially not their sexuality. With that logic,  I watch Dexter, I must want to be a serial killer too...hrmm...no..I just like psychological thrillers and dramas...

Anyway FP, you're one of the most amazing people on Phatmass. You've always kind, supportive, and helpful towards everyone, so it makes me so sad that people are treating you in a way that upsets you. Phatmass is supposed to be a place for kindred spirits, if we as fellow phatmassers cannot provide a safe and happy environment for other users, what's the point of having a forum community? 

As an aside, I don't know many people who like the theater...so that's awesome that I have found someone else who shares in this!

Edited by jazzytakara

MarysLittleFlower

FP, when I was in school, for some reason there was a rumour going around that I was gay. People made jokes, etc. I wasn't a popular kid. But it really hurt and I can see that joking about sexuality - even when the things said are untrue - is hurtful.

I think your post is a good reminder that sometimes we might not mean to hurt someone by what we say, and think that it's a joke, but it can still be hurtful because it's about something like this. I think it's a good reminder for us all, me included. I think humour should not be done at anyone's expense. I'm not pointing fingers at people here saying they were trying to be hurtful - I think this type of humour is so ingrained in our culture that oftentimes we might not notice it, - but it's good to be reminded of that point :) in the end, it doesn't bring people together, and I know from experience that even if the person laughs, somewhere deeper they might feel hurt. For ourselves, we can try and accept these things as humiliations, but this doesn't mean of course that we should do this to others. Treat others as you would like to be treated..... we all know :)

God bless!

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

I think some people open their mouth before they get their brain into gear. Unfortunately in the charged political environment of today people think they can get away with being uncharitable and lacking basic respect for people, all under the guise of moral orthodoxy.

"Today, the Church... refuses to consider the person as a "heterosexual "or a "homosexual," and insists that every person has a fundamental identity: the creature of God, and by grace, His child and heir to eternal life." Letter to the Bishops of the Catholic Church on the Pastoral Care of Homosexual People, Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF), 1986, no.16

The Church won't put a label on anyone. To say someone is "gay" or "lesbian" or a "homosexual" is to define a whole person by just one aspect. It can lock up a person's identity and block further emotional growth. That's just the sort of labeling which gives rise to prejudice and discrimination. The Church stands against any behavior it calls immoral, but always teaches support and respect for the person. Labeling limits and disrespects people.

o-MARTIN-RICHARD-DEAD-BOSTON-MARATHON-57

Enough said :priest:

Edited by cappie

Ok, bro. My apologies. 

You don't say compline like a girl. 

Edited by BigJon16

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

I commented once about one direction but it wasn't because of your sexuality. And i used to get teary eyed at soppy movies too, but i don't watch movies anymore due to my protest about how most m rated movies should be rated R or more so no existent. And not only that, it takes up to much valuable time i need to dedicate to others and GOD. 

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

And who has said your homosexual ? Maybe they said gay and they where saying it as being on the happy side or perhaps on the overtly proud side, these are two other meanings of the word Gay as far as i'm aware, though my younger brother uses the word Gay very loosely  In his age group in my city gay also means silly comment, " that was so gay man." But anyhow tell me who has said your homosexual and i will have a word with them. The crown of thorns will come at times also, persist in Christ till the end.

Onward christian soul.

JESUS iz LORD,

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

And by the way what has been done is also a mortal sin, defaming anothers character or bearing false witness against your neighbour. It's one of the 10 commandments. In Australia it is actually against the law to break this commandment and is a punishable offence by the courts.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

also i gave you four stars because bringing this to the phatmass table was very courages.

franciscanheart

Dear people of Phatmass, I love each and every one of you dearly. You have all stuck with me through difficult times, and I cannot ever repay you for this. However, there is something of importance I must say.

Some of you have taken a liking to making jokes about my sexuality. I thought they were funny at first, but it progressively has gotten worse, and I have something to tell you: joking about somene's sexuality isn't funny. At all. It's a serious issue. It's hurtful for those who are gay, and hurtful for those who are not.

Yes, I know I love romance stories and have been writing them since I was eleven. Yes, I like One Direction and the theater and I openly cry during romantic comedies. And yes, one of my favorite books is even Anne of Green Gables. I realize it's easy to take a cheap shot at someone when they like these things. But I get enough of the jokes about my sexuality off the Internet that I have no desire to see them on the Internet as well. Not one of the things I posted above means I'm gay and you have no right as a human being to joke about me or anyone else in that way.

Thank you for your time.

That. And all that Cappie said. (Have I mentioned how I love Cappie? :love: Father, you rock! :like: We are so blessed to know the Internet and to have you "here" with us, even though you're half a world away!)

I am so heartened at the conversations we're having here. This is good, even when it feels bad. I'm proud of you for saying something, FP, and I hope you feel good having said it. You deserve respect. We all do. Always.

PhuturePriest

That. And all that Cappie said. (Have I mentioned how I love Cappie? :love: Father, you rock! :like: We are so blessed to know the Internet and to have you "here" with us, even though you're half a world away!)

I am so heartened at the conversations we're having here. This is good, even when it feels bad. I'm proud of you for saying something, FP, and I hope you feel good having said it. You deserve respect. We all do. Always.

Thanks. I feel bad making threads like this because I don't want to seem like a drama llama or like I need attention all the time, but I had just talked to Kate about it last night on the phone (She didn't know some people joke about me being gay), and she kind of motivated me to say something about it.