An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Customs

graciandelamadrededios

I'm ordering it ASAP! :smile4: & yes, AnneLine please do post those links on Carmelite history in England & Ireland. I have visited some of the Irish Carmels, as I was PMing you about. I find it very interesting they are not direct descendants from Carmels in Europe via England, which I assumed before Gracian shared with me an excerpt from Journey to Carith.

I want to learn more about all of the English martyrs too, like St. Anne Line. I have a friend who has a huge love for them and enthusiastically shares with me their stories. How they suffered for Christ and His Church!!

Where did Fr. Peter-Thomas Rohrbach go? I have read his book on Mental Prayer, Conversation with Christ. 

Same feeling about the English/Irish/Welsh/Scottish martyrs.   A proud heritage. 

If you haven't seen the video that Mary's Dowry produced about Anne Line, get it; it is a well-done amateur production, with lots of good details.  Was my Christmas present to myself last year!

I do not know what happened to Fr. Peter-Thomas; he was in the Eastern Province, and all I know is he is gone; I believe he may have left, as so many did, in the late 60's/early 70's, but I am not sure.  Wherever he is, I'm sure he'd value some prayers... don't we all?

Conversation with Christ is an excellent book, as is Journey to Carith.

Edited by AnneLine

graciandelamadrededios

Happy to share my ebookcase!

Carmel in England

http://books.google.com/books/about/Carmel_in_England.html?id=H3mcO0LePw4C

Carmel in Ireland

http://books.google.com/books/about/Carmel_in_Ireland.html?id=8bv1IQAACAAJ

And... just found a new one!

An English Carmelite (Life of Catherine Burton, Mother Mary Xaveria of the Angels of the English Carmel of Antwerp

http://ebooks.cambridge.org/ebook.jsf?bid=CBO9780511705946

The first two books said no ebook available on the website.

Gracian, I can get them here in U.S.; just checked link and it is available for download -- perhaps not available where you are?   You are outside US I believe?

graciandelamadrededios

Gracian, I can get them here in U.S.; just checked link and it is available for download -- perhaps not available where you are?   You are outside US I believe?

Oh dear.....  It seems that its not available outside the US.

I could probably ask Chiqui to send me the downloaded files to my email.

Thanks Anneline!

Gracian

Anytime... and feel free to PM me if you wish as well!

Anne Line

Edited by AnneLine

Chiquitunga

The English Carmelite booksthere work for me (thank you!!) but not the link for Carmel in Ireland (says no ebook available for me too) but this one does ~ https://play.google.com/store/books/details/James_P_Rushe_Carmel_in_Ireland?id=WC_KbSuqjfIC&feature=similar_books#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOCwiYm9vay1XQ19LYlN1cWpmSUMiXQ

I cannot figure out though how to download it onto my computer, so I can send it via email. It seems to just be viewable online... :idontknow:

Chiquitunga

Same feeling about the English/Irish/Welsh/Scottish martyrs.   A proud heritage. 

If you haven't seen the video that Mary's Dowry produced about Anne Line, get it; it is a well-done amateur production, with lots of good details.  Was my Christmas present to myself last year!

I do not know what happened to Fr. Peter-Thomas; he was in the Eastern Province, and all I know is he is gone; I believe he may have left, as so many did, in the late 60's/early 70's, but I am not sure.  Wherever he is, I'm sure he'd value some prayers... don't we all?

Conversation with Christ is an excellent book, as is Journey to Carith.

Yes, very much so!! & thanks for that recommendation on the St. Anne Line documentary! I see they have a bunch of other ones on English martyrs too as well as other saints! http://www.marysdowryproductions.org/DVDS_from_MDP.html  Thank you!!

AnneLine is shameless... but here is a 5 minute clip from the Mary's Dowry video on my patroness....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9mVZ1BOiTk[/media]

Chiquitunga

wonderful!! thank you Anne Line! I think I will seriously get this because I know my friend would absolutely love it, along with myself :like: her life seemed very monastic too, and to take care of priests :priest: she must have a wonderful crown in Heaven! :saint:

graciandelamadrededios

The English Carmelite booksthere work for me (thank you!!) but not the link for Carmel in Ireland (says no ebook available for me too) but this one does ~ https://play.google.com/store/books/details/James_P_Rushe_Carmel_in_Ireland?id=WC_KbSuqjfIC&feature=similar_books#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwOCwiYm9vay1XQ19LYlN1cWpmSUMiXQ

I cannot figure out though how to download it onto my computer, so I can send it via email. It seems to just be viewable online... :idontknow:

Maybe, we could ask Anneline to send the files to us via email?

Gracian

graciandelamadrededios

REGULAR CUSTOMS

OF THE

DISCALCED CARMELITES

THE CONSTITUTIONS AND CEREMONIAL OF THE ORDER

(Pre-Vatican II)

THE CELLS

Each religious will have a separate cell, of about ten feet square, in size.  It will contain a bed formed of two trestles, supporting two planks, on which will be placed a sack of coarse linen filled with straw; a woolen coverlet, brown in color, if possible; a straw pillow, another of wool; (feather pillows are not used; not even in the Infirmary); a wooden stand without lock, to hold some spiritual books, etc; a chair, with wooden or straw seat; a wooden Cross, placed over the head of the bed; three paper pictures without frames; a vessel of plain white or stoneware, for Holy Water; a bucket; an earthen or stone ware pitcher, placed on the floor; an apron for sweeping; a lamp or candlestick; inkstand, pens, etc.

The Mother Prioress will also have in her cell a second chair that she may give a seat to an infirm Sister, who comes to speak to her, and a Table furnished with a lock, for her papers.

Each Sister may have for her use in her cell or elsewhere, a books of the Rules and Constitutions, the Ceremonial, New Testament, Psalter in English, Imitation of Our Lord Jesus Christ, by Thomas a Kempis, Meditation book, two Lecture Books, Catechism, Prayer book, and any other books or papers of devotion, which the Prioress may permit.

The Religious also keep in their cells the work upon which they are engaged, and the materials for it; also writing materials.

During Summer, they may have an extra Tunic, to change at need.

When a Religious is appointed to change her cell, she should not take anything with her, except what she had for her personal use, such as bed, bedclothes, etc.; she should leave the Cross, pictures, Holy Water vessel, trestles, table, and chair, unless the Prioress should direct otherwise.  As it is recommended in our Holy Rule, not to go out of the cell uselessly, the Religious should try as much as possible to ask at the same time, the different little permissions of the Prioress, so as not to fail in an essential point of recollection, by quitting their solicitude too often.  At night they should not go out of the cell, except for something urgent, which could not be avoided.

They should take Holy Water when they enter and leave the cell, and should kiss the floor when coming in and going out, to remain about an hour.  When the Choir exercises are over in the morning, each one should cover her bed, and put her cell in order.  It is the house of the Divine Spouse; order and neatness should accompany the simplicity which is its ornament.  However, it would be a fault against poverty, to devoted too much time to this, for our time belongs to Religion, in whose service we are, and not to ourselves, to be wasted or used for our own satisfaction.

Whenever the Religious go to some community act, they should leave their cells in such a state that if a sudden rain or storm occurred, they would not be obliged to go away from the Community.

When they leave their Cell door open, they should arrange it in such a way as to prevent it from swinging back and forth.

It is forbidden to enter the Cells without permission of the Prioress, therefore, on Saturday morning, the Religious should place the chair near the door, that the Vestierr may lay their clothes upon it.

No Religious should lock her Cell door, or fasten it in anyway, that I may not be opened from the outside.  No one should open the door of another’s Cell or Office without knocking, and then waiting until the Sister comes to the door to answer “Deo Gratias.”  If there is no response and there is reason to believe the Sister is sick, one should promptly inform the Infirmarian or Mother Prioress; if it were at night, she could enter to give assistance.

Chiquitunga

Really interesting discussion.  I don't know about the custom with the girdle, Chiquitunga, but my suspicion is that it is local custom of some sort, because I have seen lots of 'bridal' photos for various Carmels, and none of them wore that... hadn't even noticed it till you pointed it out!

I do know about the stripped mantles -- it dates from when they were literally on Mt. Carmel.  There is the legend about the 'scorch marks' from Elijah's Chariot, but it also is thought to have come from the clothing of the early desert hermits (or what the first Carmelties thought that might be!).  

This is a pretty good historically accurate representation -- it is the commonly seen drawing of the presenting of the Rule of St. Albert to the first Carmelites.  Not sure how old the artwork is, but from the perspective alone, would have to be pre-Renaissance.  It is the one that they put in our OCDS Rule & Constitutions book as well... kind of the 'official photo' of the presentation, so to speak. ;)

albert3.jpg

I just noticed that St. Simon Stock in this image is depicted with the stripes on his mantle also  :heart:

marian-scapular-vision-small1.jpg

Chiquitunga

a couple others ...

wp8d3e5ee7.jpg

mountcarmel02.jpg

p.s. Gracian, thank you for sharing that Customs excerpt there with us :like:

• 1 month later...
graciandelamadrededios

JM+JT

Praised be Jesus Christ! Now and forever.

I posted this in another thread, but the thread isn't around anymore, I purchased this book at a Carmelite monastery gift shop called, "Following the Path of Divine Love" by the Discalced Carmelites of Cerro de los Angeles and La Aldehuela Spain and it was translated into English by the Carmel in Buffalo NY. It just came out a year ago. It's about the life of Saint Mother Maravillas and about Carmel. (It can be bought at this website here: http://www.carmelite.org.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_SAINTS___BLESSEDS_OF_CARMEL_37.html ... it'll be somewhat expensive and shipped from the UK but I haven't found where else it can be purchased online.)

It is one of the best Carmelite books to read for one wanting to know more about Carmel and the customs (especially the Spanish customs.) Reverend Mother where I visited highly recommended for wanting to know more about life in Carmel it and it's really great. I just finished reading a chapter called "Our Life is a Very Good One" about the customs that are kept in Carmel throughout the year (what they do for feast days are beautiful and very touching) and letters from Mother Maravillas written to girls that were seeking entrance and the advise she gave them. If I have more time to spend on the computer sometime then maybe I could type up some of that chapter. Anyways, its a book to read for all those who are wanting to know more about Carmel and all of us with Carmelite hearts. :)

I recently receive a copy of "Following the Path of Divine Love" by the Discalced Carmelites of Cerro de los Angeles and La Aldehuela Spain translated from Spanish to English by Buffalo Carmel.

I am reading them now.  I love the book but I also love "Let Him Do It: Life of Maravillas of Jesus, O.C.D. written also by Discalced Carmelites of Cerro de los Angeles and La Aldehuela Spain and translated by Brooklyn Carmel in 1979.  I highly recommend this book.  I reread this book from time to time.

I am hoping that Bufallo Carmel will translate the biography of Mother Mary Joseph of the Heart of Jesus.  She was a fervent daughter of Mother Maravillas and one of the Nuns who travelled to Rome and handcarried the text that eventually was called the 1990 Constitutions of the Discalced Carmelite Nuns.  Please refer to this website: http://www.madremariajosefa.es/

50_imagen.jpg