An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmelite Customs

graciandelamadrededios

VeniJesuAmorMi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UokZD7-C0es For those who understand Spanish this video is amazing even though I only understood about 5 words. It looks like it's in Buenos Aires, but check out the style of the day veil, it's really different looking.

Thank you for sharing! I'm watching it now. I don't understand any Spanish, but the video is beautiful. I was noticing the day veil also; it looks more pointy on the sides. I was thinking maybe it is just because of the material they use that makes it look like that? Just a guess though...

To comment on the video; its not often that we get to see a video with Carmelite nuns and some communities wouldn't do this at all, but as I look at the sisters I just think how beautiful they are. We look at them and see them on the outside but these are souls and hearts that are given completely to Our Lord and I look and can't help but think how great it is that Our Lord has those that are willing to give Him all. This is certainly part of the hiddenness of a Carmelite not just them in the exterior cloister but even more; the cloister within them. Its just so beautiful to think about! :)

graciandelamadrededios

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UokZD7-C0es For those who understand Spanish this video is amazing even though I only understood about 5 words. It looks like it's in Buenos Aires, but check out the style of the day veil, it's really different looking.

I watched this video before and I think it was Chiqui who forwarded me this video via email.

The veils are different since the veils are "gathered" on top just like how the Spanish and Polish wears their day veils.

VeniJesuAmorMi

I watched this video before and I think it was Chiqui who forwarded me this video via email.

The veils are different since the veils are "gathered" on top just like how the Spanish and Polish wears their day veils.

I was in a Carmel with Spanish customs and we didn't wear our day veils with the gathered look. I was wondering then if this isn't done in the Spanish custom Carmels in the US? I have visited two other Carmels with Spanish customs and haven't seen this either. Maybe some do though?

Thank you in advance! :) There's always more to learn about Carmel.

I think the veils are actually cut back further toward the ear than what we would normally see with the gathered veils. I have never seen this before in this country.  Maybe this is why it looks pointed.

I was taken by the deep piety of this community in general even though I couldn't understand them. 

graciandelamadrededios

Spanish "gathered" style of veil:

big_5506218_4_363-289.JPG

CSJAP_N_ACTIVIDADES_CODAPOJ_ANDAHUAYLAS_

Polish "gathered" style of veil:

siostra_benedykta.jpg

DSC_0075.JPG

siostra_benedykta.jpg

An American Discalced Carmelite Nun:

SisterMaryAgnes.jpg

At times, the way they sew their gathered veils are different - some gathered them in tiny pleats - hence, its hardly noticeable. 

I've seen a few close up pictures from Buffalo and Alexandria (besides the above, I saw a private picture from the family of a nun there) and it's definitely gathered like the original (Spain) Spanish day veil, (although perhaps slightly not as much). I would assume Brooklyn is this way too. Dallas definitely does too. Maybe the JMJ Carmels have them gathered slightly less. It's just kind of an effect that happens when it's sewn down, not necessarily done on purpose I think :like:

graciandelamadrededios

I was in a Carmel with Spanish customs and we didn't wear our day veils with the gathered look. I was wondering then if this isn't done in the Spanish custom Carmels in the US? I have visited two other Carmels with Spanish customs and haven't seen this either. Maybe some do though?

Chiqui once mentioned to me that there is one Carmel in the USA with Spanish/Mexican customs whose veils were no longer sewn "shirred" or "gathered" type.  Instead, the pinned it like French Carmels does but retained the toque - spanish style - longer at the back.

Also, I have noticed that even French origin Carmels have gathered look - like NZ Carmels since it was the Custom of their founding Carmel - a French Carmel.  Also, I read a portion of a letter from a French-Canadian Discalced Carmelite Nun who founded one Carmel in the Philippines which she described that in one American Carmel she visited, their night veil is similar to their (Montreal Carmel) day veil, which is "shirred" or "gathered."

I have also seen Discalced Carmelite Nuns in the Philippines wearing the "gathered" day veil but none of the Carmels here is from Spanish Origin.  Carmels in the Philippines were founded by the French, American, and Canadian Nuns.

graciandelamadrededios

I've seen a few close up pictures from Buffalo and Alexandria (besides the above, I saw a private picture from the family of a nun there) and it's definitely gathered like the original (Spain) Spanish day veil, (although perhaps slightly not as much). I would assume Brooklyn is this way too. Dallas definitely does too. Maybe the JMJ Carmels have them gathered slightly less. It's just kind of an effect that happens when it's sewn down, not necessarily done on purpose I think :like:

Hi Chiqui,

I think it was really done in purpose, since if its by accident or due to sewing machine malfunction, their toque, robe, etc will be "gathered" as well but they only do in on the forehead area - this is what i think.

Well, but I wonder if it's because they have to sew it onto the toque/toqua and then take it apart twice a week. This is how they do it in Dallas Carmel at least. It's not done with a sewing machine as the rest of the habit is, for the most part. Each nun handstitches it herself in her cell.

By the way, this may seem rather tedious to be doing twice a week, but one of the nuns in Dallas Carmel has mentioned that it makes putting the toque and day veil on in the morning so much faster than having to pin it. I would love to ask them though if the gathered look is done on purpose. Maybe St. Teresa did that so it wouldn't look very fancy/neat or something ...

Edited by Chiquitunga

graciandelamadrededios

p.s. the only US Spanish day veil that I've noticed that has absolutely no gathering at all is New Caney, http://carmelnewcaney.com/about/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acoPRvHIqcA

Yes, I saw that as well and thanks for sharing this since I completely forgot which Carmel is that.

They actually arranged their veils similar to how the O. Carm. Nuns wears their veils now.  The O. Carm. Nuns in the Philippines were founded by Spanish Carmels and when the Spanish Carmels adapted their veils to the signs of times, the Spanish Mothers and Filipina Sisters did the same thing.  

I think it really is gathered a lot less in some US Spanish Carmels than for instance Sr. Magdalena's here.

Spanish "gathered" style of veil:

big_5506218_4_363-289.JPG

Actually I learned that Buffalo does not sew them down, although they still have a bit of a gathered look, but they have their own way of tying them in the back. I heard this from the Prioress in Dallas, who learned it from someone else. All very interesting. Each Carmel adapts to what works best for them :like:

Edited by Chiquitunga

graciandelamadrededios

Well, but I wonder if it's because they have to sew it onto the toque/toqua and then take it apart twice a week. This is how they do it in Dallas Carmel at least. It's not done with a sewing machine as the rest of the habit is, for the most part. Each nun handstitches it herself in her cell.

By the way, this may seem rather tedious to be doing twice a week, but one of the nuns in Dallas Carmel has mentioned that it makes putting the toque and day veil on in the morning so much faster than having to pin it. I would love to ask them though if the gathered look is done on purpose. Maybe St. Teresa did that so it wouldn't look very fancy/neat or something ...

Oh, I get it!

Well, I agree, sewing is very tedious but they can do simple stitch and and not produce "gathered" effect on the forehead part.  I really think is customary.  If it was done the way St. Teresa did so the Nuns continued the custom until this day.

This is probably why the most French Carmels uses the pins.  When I was speaking to Mother Prioress of Baguio Carmel in the parlor of Manila Carmel where she was visiting, I cant help but notice the pins on her veil - the veil pinned to the toque was very neat.

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

I think it really is gathered a lot less is some US Spanish Carmels than for instance Sr. Magdalena's here.

Actually I learned that Buffalo actually does not sew them down, although they still have a bit of a gathered look, but they have their own way of tying them in the back. I heard this from the Prioress in Dallas, who learned it from someone else. All very interesting. Each Carmel adapts to what works best for them :like:

This is true - adaptation is the key without losing the spirit of Carmel.  

The Polish Carmels "gathers" them more and I actually love their style.  Poland's Carmel are multiplying and they are founding here and there.  God is good!

graciandelamadrededios

...and Chiqui, remember the photos I sent you via email? The Novice and Nun from a certain Carmel in the USA - head to foot view?  Their veils are positively more "gathered."  Too bad we cant post it here.