An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Habit Of Poor Clare Colettines Before Vatican Ii

graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios

Sr. Marie Elise of Jesus Crucified, PCC Profession of Solem Vows

DSC00707.JPG

"I, Sister Marie Elise of Jesus Crucified, vow to God, before the witness of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Our Father St. Francis, Our Mother St. Clare, and all the saints, and I promise you, Mother, to observe during the whole time of my life, the form of life which the Blessed Francis gave to our Blessed Mother Clare and Pope Innocent IV confirmed, living in obedience, without anything of my own, and in chastity; and I vow to observe enclosure."

DSC00710.JPG

DSC00683.JPG

Sr.+Elise+procession.jpg

Sr.+Elise+consecration.jpg

• 6 months later...

Regarding the following statement:

"Even the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters - Pink Sisters are not under Papal Enclosure and Solemn Vows."

Not sure of "solemn vows" but their website does say that they're under Papal enclosure:

"The Papal enclosure that we observe is a special way of being with the Lord."

I've lost track of who said what in this thread, so much good information!, but it explains a book I have that I plan on taking with me: A Simple Way of Love by a Poor Clare Nun. I've searched & searched for information (the only thing I've found is an eBay listing) but 1) the Abbess who wrote it MUST have been English (but which Monastery???) because it was edited by an English Benediction Monk and 2) there is a strong connection between the Carmelite charism & what this Abbess wrote - I thought it was my imagination but now I see that it's really "in their bloodline" according to some of these notes! I like this little book because of the very clear instructions she gives. I wish there were more current/modern books like this. Very informative thread.

I've lost track of who said what in this thread, so much good information!, but it explains a book I have that I plan on taking with me: A Simple Way of Love by a Poor Clare Nun. I've searched & searched for information (the only thing I've found is an eBay listing) but 1) the Abbess who wrote it MUST have been English (but which Monastery???) because it was edited by an English Benediction Monk and 2) there is a strong connection between the Carmelite charism & what this Abbess wrote - I thought it was my imagination but now I see that it's really "in their bloodline" according to some of these notes! I like this little book because of the very clear instructions she gives. I wish there were more current/modern books like this. Very informative thread.

For those of us nerds, the editor was Columba Cary Elwes - ie Cary Elwes', of The Princess Bride, relative.

There's no guarantee that is was an English nun, sometimes books would pass through international monastery 'family trees'. It looks like there are a couple copies available through amazon and the like.  

A lot of these books are really helpful, but many went out of fashion after the council.

Thank you. I knew see the editor's name, but I have to admit I was surprised it was edited by a monk - who actually says in his opening remarks that it was not touched. I wrongly assumed Columba referred to a woman! You are right, many of these books went out of fashion after the Council, but Carthusians have retained so much spiritually and practice-wise that have been in their traditions since way before Vatican II I am interested in reading all sources of information since in my life (God willing) I will be able to incorporate different elements.

This is a throwback to earlier posts about the Daughters of Charity trying to drive in the cornettes in the few years that they could drive before the habit change. I was a student with them in those days and  yes, they managed.  They used a clamp like a long, solid paper clip, folded one wing down over the other, and clamped both together.  It resembled a coal scuttle on their heads, but did clear their side vision and let them fit into the car.  It seems to me that their D.C. passengers did the same thing.

graciandelamadrededios

Regarding the following statement:

"Even the Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters - Pink Sisters are not under Papal Enclosure and Solemn Vows."

Not sure of "solemn vows" but their website does say that they're under Papal enclosure:

"The Papal enclosure that we observe is a special way of being with the Lord."

I spoke to the Superior of Holy Spirit Adoration Convent in Baguio City and the Vocation Director of St. Joseph Convent in Quezon City, both in the Philippines many years ago.

They said that while they follow the Constitutional Enclosure, they observe their enclosure as if its Papal.

• 1 year later...
graciandelamadrededios

Les Clarisses à Ronchamp

313_htmlarea_perso_31580_2.jpg

Poor Clare Colettine (with kerchiefs) before Vatican II in France

graciandelamadrededios

Foundresses.jpgFoundresses of Kokomo Indiana Poor Clare Monastery (Colettines) in 1959

49 minutes ago, graciandelamadrededios said:

Les Clarisses à Ronchamp

313_htmlarea_perso_31580_2.jpg

Poor Clare Colettine (with kerchiefs) before Vatican II in France

There is a woman back row, second from the left, who is obviously not in a habit and Im curious what her position in teh community might be?  My guess is postulant.  It is also interesting that they wore part of their wimple over their face to the point of covering their chin/jawline

graciandelamadrededios

That piece of fabric that covers the chin is referred to as "kerchief"

This custom of wearing the kerchief among Colettine Poor Clares has been discontinued after Vatican II

The Laywoman could be postulant or aspirant.

13 minutes ago, graciandelamadrededios said:

That piece of fabric that covers the chin is referred to as "kerchief"

This custom of wearing the kerchief among Colettine Poor Clares has been discontinued after Vatican II

The Laywoman could be postulant or aspirant.

Interesting.  I dont really know anything abot the Poor Clare Colettines especially pre Vat 2 customs and clothing. 

graciandelamadrededios
2 minutes ago, vee said:

Interesting.  I dont really know anything abot the Poor Clare Colettines especially pre Vat 2 customs and clothing. 

THE RULE OF ST. CLARE

AND

THE CONSTITUTIONS

FOR POOR CLARE NUNS

OF THE

REFORM OF ST. COLETTE

CHAPTER II.

Of the Quality of the Habit and of the other Garments

20. - Since the Rule of Form of life lays down that the Sisters be clothed with poor garments, we ordain and decree that this poverty, both with respect to price and colour, be attended to.

21. - Although it is laid down in the Form of life that the Abbess shall supply and provide the person who enters, on her laying aside her secular dress, with three tunics and a mantle, nevertheless, if necessity or infirmity, or any circumstances of person or of place or time should cause any one to need more garments, we declare that the Abbess shall provide the Sisters with garments according to the qualities according to the qualities of persons and places and times and cold climates, as necessity may seem to require.

22. - It is to be understood that the three tunics mentioned in the Form of life need not be of the same form or shape, since the two inner tunics are allowed, not so much as being part of the Habit of the Order as for the comfort and heat and decency of the body; nor need they be of the same colour.

23. - Wherefore, we direct and ordain that the outer tunic be designated as the Habit of the Order, without which the Sisters may not appear in public, nor retire to sleep, unless illness or infirmity or any other manifest necessity, which has been declared to be sufficient either by the Abbess or her Vicaress, should warrant them to act otherwise.

24. - Let the length of the habit be such that, when worn, it shall not exceed the stature of the person who wears it and train along the ground; and the width shall not exceed fourteen palms. The sleeves shall not extend beyond the first finger joints.

25. - The inner tunics shall be of poor cloth, and may not be lined with skins or furs.

26. - The mantle also shall always be of poor and course cloth, and shall not be gathered or pleated about the neck; nor so long as to train in anyway along the ground.

27. - Let plainness, austerity and poverty, both with respect to texture, cost and colour, be always apparent in all the garments of the Sisters.

28. - Let all the Sisters, both the Abbesses and other Officials, be clad with the same common cloth, and let all partiality be excluded.

29. - The cord, with which the Sisters are girt, shall be plain and common, and shall be free from all manner of singularity.

30. - For the rest, with regard to the covering of the head, we prescribe and ordain that all the Sisters, both the Abbesses as well as the other professed members, without any distinction whatever, shall in all humility, modesty and piety, cover their heads and avoid singularity and vanity of all kinds.

31. - That this be the better observed at all times and by all Sisters in their Convents in every place, we decree that all the Sisters shall so adjust their kerchiefs, that the forehead, both cheeks and the chin shall be for the greater part covered, so that their faces may be in no wise entirely seen.

32. - Besides, the veils and all the kerchiefs that are worn on the head and about the neck shall be so arranged that they cover all the head, the greater part of the chest and the corresponding part of the body at the back.

33. - Furthermore, we direct that all veils and kerchiefs be of common, course and plain linen, so that the holy poverty and austerity of their profession may ever shine forth in them.

34. - Moreover, in order that cleanliness be always attended to, we declare that each Sister, with the consent and permission of her Abbess, may have two black veils and two or three changes of white kerchiefs.

35. - Let all the Sisters beware lest they have pleated kerchiefs, or kerchiefs of silk or of any other costly material.

36. - Finally, no novice may wear the black veil before she has made her profession, but she shall wear the white kerchiefs, suitably arranged according to the direction of the Abbess, as has been heretofore the custom.

5 minutes ago, vee said:

The Poor Clares originally does not have scapulars, unlike Carmelite Nuns.  Carmelite Nuns tucks their folded hands under the scapular while Poor Clare Colettine tuck their folded hands under the long, large kerchiefs.