An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Habit Of Poor Clare Colettines Before Vatican Ii

graciandelamadrededios

graciandelamadrededios
22 minutes ago, truthfinder said:

What an interesting picture. I wonder if the nun on the right is actually a lay sister - because of the scapular.  I'm positive I've seen some OSC and PCC communities dress their lay or extern sisters with a scapular. The rest of the sisters though also have rather elaborate cinctures that seem completely at odds with what we think of as the traditional franciscan cincture. 

The Poor Clares do not have any lay sisters, at least that was what Mother Mary Francis, PCC wrote in her book and the Constitutions of St. Colette does not mention any (OSC's Constitutions was based on St. Colette's.)  Below is a photo of Poor Clare Nun with square quimpe and kerchief (she wore black veil, so I am quite sure she is not a lay sister):

origines.jpg

graciandelamadrededios

holynamepic4.jpg

Anapolis, Goias, Brazil was founded in 1963 by the New York Monastery. In 1987 the last American Sisters left and this is now an independent monastery.

graciandelamadrededios

Poor%20Clares%201940.gif

Irish Poor Clare Colettines before Vatican II - there are those who are wondering how they eat without staining their kerchiefs, they might have just pulled them down when eating.  I'm not sure though.....

Edited by graciandelamadrededios
wrong word

• 5 years later...

Friends, the chin covering was normal for silent orders such as the Poor Clare Colletines.  it had little to do with hiding one’s face because a cloistered order is already hidden.

As for the scapular (the long long worn front and back over the tunic, not the small one worn on cords under clothing), I was taught as a young sister that it is the garment for the Third Order Regular.  

Our foundress  did not use starch in the headpiece.  That came after she died.  She would have been appalled at the use of starch and probably consider it a vain extravagance!