An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women In Habits 2

Mary's Child

And... those scapulars are RED!!!!

The ones in San Francisco modified the headgear a bit after Vatican II... because they told me that the starched and pleated style of wimple literally scraped the skin off the Sisters' ears.  But what they do now works just fine.... and they are a lovely community:

http://adorejesus.org/Gallery

Edited by AnneLine

Maybe Sr. Kateri knows. 

The ones in SF never wore anything like that (at least not since 1975...) ... but there are several 'groups' of them, so it may be one that was/is worn in a different group.   I don't think the APs in San Francisco or Anchorage have worn that cincture for a long time -- maybe since Vatican II?  That may be a very old picture...    And I THINK I remember reading at one point they wore a different habit on major feast days at one point, so that could be part of it...

Totally Franciscan

Anneline, it seems from your posts that you know these San Francisco sisters well.  I know they came from Mexico, but I wonder if you know whether or not they speak only Spanish.  I know the Carmelites in San Francisco are both English and Spanish speaking.  Is their liturgy in English?  Sorry to hound you with these questions, but I am interested in learning more about them.  If you have any info on the type of life they lead, I would be grateful.

Edited by Totally Franciscan

Would the sister on the left have been a postulant, or lay sister, or extern? 

If I'm not mistaken, the sister on the left is a postulant and the sister on the right is a novice.