An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Start A Religious Order/community, What Would It Be, Or L

nikita92

BarbTherese

If I could start a religious community... 

I'd call it St. Joseph's Builders, popularly called St. Joe's Crew. 

Brothers only, no priests. They'd take annual vows like the Daughters of Charity - commit to one year and stay for the full year; at the end of that, you could leave or renew again. They would attend daily Mass together at the local parish, eat in common, and say the rosary in common after supper. The habit would be brown work clothes similar to UPS, with a tool belt, hard hat, gloves, goggles, a St. Joseph medal under their shirt, and a rosary in their pocket. 

Their ministry would be rehab and maintenance construction. Each community would have six to ten men: a carpenter, painter/plasterer, plumber, electrician, laborers, maybe an engineer. They'd live in a marginal neighborhood and they'd buy a house, fix it up, and then sell it at a small profit - enough to keep food on their own table - to someone who wouldn't be able to afford a house otherwise. They'd probably get their clients through St. Vincent DePaul or Catholic Charities. Repeat.

They could also do (paid) maintenance/renovations on convents, churches, schools, Habitat for Humanity, or help out people like Catherine M so she wouldn't have to do all the rehab work on her own. Widows, single mothers, foster parents - that kind of thing. 

They could also teach construction skills. Classes would be possible, but what I envision is: the Jones Family plans to buy the next house, so the Crew would recruit at least one Jones child - teenager or older - as part of the rehab crew. The more the kid worked, the lower the price of the house. By the time the family moved in, the kid would be able to do most of the maintenance on the place, and maybe have some employable skills. Men who served for a few years than left to get married would also be able to maintain their own homes, and they'd probably have the inclination to help out the widows and single mothers in their parishes. And if they didn't go into some line of work, they'd have employable construction skills. 

Creative and original thinking

One question, what does UPS mean?

OnlySunshine

Creative and original thinking

One question, what does UPS mean?

United Parcel Service

It's a package delivery service here in the USA.  ;)

United Parcel Service

It's a package delivery service here in the USA.  ;)

Actually, I think they deliver world-wide.  And they must be all Franciscans, since they wear brown  :hehe2:

BarbTherese

Actually, I think they deliver world-wide.  And they must be all Franciscans, since they wear brown  :hehe2:

............or Carmelites, they wear brown.  I thought that the Franciscans wore grey?

I guess UPS must be the colour of what we here in Australia call "brown paper". :bananarap:  Be all things whatever they may colour-wise, Luigi's idea sounded really good to me. :)

• 3 months later...
Alberto Guimaraes
    Peace and Good! 
    During my working life as a secular franciscan brother, I dreamed to found a franciscan inspiration congregation, perhaps in order to be added to the Third Order Regular (TOR). 
    This congregation, male and female, would aim to assist fishing communities or other ones localized to the seaside. 
    The male brothers would have occuped with spiritual assistance, being priests, or beig lay would assume the required tasks, according to their lay state. 
    The sisters devote themselves would, in addition to the praise of God through the Liturgy of the Hours and adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, teaching Sunday school, domestic work at parish priests homes and caring the churches and chapels. 
    This congregation would have as patroness Our Lady of the Sea, and in honor to Her the brothers and sisters would wear a navy blue habit, with its Franciscan cord with three knots, and the Seraphic Crown. 
    The brothers habit would be like the Capuchin one, except the color. 
    The sisters  habit would be like the Poor Clares, except the color, too. 
    Both would walk barefoot inside the houses and temples, based on the customs of the people of the seaside, and going out to the street they would put on simple blue flip-flops. 
    The name of the congregation would be: CAPUCHIN TERTIARY BROTHERS OF OUR LADY OF THE SEA and CAPUCHIN TERTIARY SISTERS OF OUR LADY OF THE SEA.
    Jesus, Mary and Francis be with you, bless you and keep you! 
    Br. Alberto Guimaraes OFS
    Braga - Portugal

AccountDeleted

It definitely adds, antigonos, definitely. I wonder: Does that "Phishy" tag bother you? You're a very productive and valuable contributor to the VS, so if you want it removed, I could try to start a little campaign for you. ;-) But if you don't care either way, well then...

Actually you raise a good point here curiousing. I have often wondered why Antigonos has a Phishy tag when she isn't even Catholic. I thought Phishy applied to those who were Catholic but who posted things not in line with Church teaching. There is a non-Catholic tag isn't there? Do I have this wrong?

Actually you raise a good point here curiousing. I have often wondered why Antigonos has a Phishy tag when she isn't even Catholic. I thought Phishy applied to those who were Catholic but who posted things not in line with Church teaching. There is a non-Catholic tag isn't there? Do I have this wrong?

I'd settle for "Sage" which has the connotation of being elderly and wise and good smelling :hehe2: . Those scholars who were contemporary with Jesus are known as the Sages in Jewish terminology, Chaz"al is the Hebrew acronym. 

Actually, it doesn't bother me -- as the saying goes, it's not what you call me, as long as you call.

Peace and Good! 
    During my working life as a secular franciscan brother, I dreamed to found a franciscan inspiration congregation, perhaps in order to be added to the Third Order Regular (TOR). 
    This congregation, male and female, would aim to assist fishing communities or other ones localized to the seaside. 
    The male brothers would have occuped with spiritual assistance, being priests, or beig lay would assume the required tasks, according to their lay state. 
    The sisters devote themselves would, in addition to the praise of God through the Liturgy of the Hours and adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, teaching Sunday school, domestic work at parish priests homes and caring the churches and chapels. 
    This congregation would have as patroness Our Lady of the Sea, and in honor to Her the brothers and sisters would wear a navy blue habit, with its Franciscan cord with three knots, and the Seraphic Crown. 
    The brothers habit would be like the Capuchin one, except the color. 
    The sisters  habit would be like the Poor Clares, except the color, too. 
    Both would walk barefoot inside the houses and temples, based on the customs of the people of the seaside, and going out to the street they would put on simple blue flip-flops. 
    The name of the congregation would be: CAPUCHIN TERTIARY BROTHERS OF OUR LADY OF THE SEA and CAPUCHIN TERTIARY SISTERS OF OUR LADY OF THE SEA.
    Jesus, Mary and Francis be with you, bless you and keep you! 
    Braga - Portugal

Dear Brother,

If I lived in Portugal, I'd say....Let's do it. :)

Alberto Guimaraes

Peace and Good!

Thanks, very much, imperpetuity!

Jesus, Mary and Francis be with you, keep you and bless you!

Braga - Portugal

Edited by Alberto Guimaraes

Alberto Guimaraes

Peace and Good!

Thanks, very much, imperpetuity!

Jesus, Mary and Francis be with you, keep you and bless you!

Braga - Portugal

Catherine Therese

Weeeellllllll……

I can't help but notice that there is not a SINGLE Dominican cloister in Australia.
We have Dominican Sisters, yes. We do NOT have Dominican nuns (2nd order/moniales)

Just sayin'.

• 1 year later...

A traditional commuity

Black or brown Tunic,scapular,cinture,rosary beads,optional cape,hood,and for nuns they also would wear a veil,wimple,cap,and collar.

In a monastery and no more than 20 members.

One needs a high school diploma.

They would work in hospitals,

Family may visit for 1 week at a time and 2x a year

They are permited to write 4 letters a year to each family member. 

Emails may be used by the VD.

Emails for othrs are used for emergency ad the proffesed may use email 2x a week.

We could have pets.but no more then 6 and no mre then 90 farm animals.

Located in city outskirts.

Daily Schedule: 4:00am exersise

5:00am prayer

5:05 am Lauds and Matins

5:30 am Mass 

6:30 am Breakfast

7:00 am Apostlates

9:00 am Work peroid or apostlates

12:00pm Angelus,Sext,Lunch

1:00pm nap,work period

3:00pm Chaplet of Divine Mercy ,15 decade rosary but not the days set mysteries.

5:00 pm Work Supper

6:30pm days set of mysteries for the rosary and prayers to Saint Michael.

7:00 pm Recreation

8:00 pm Night Prayers and Personal Prayer

8:30pm Spiritual Reading

9:00pm Bed

perpetual rosary during the NIGHT

Note:penance if one is not in bed by MIDNIGHT