An Old School Catholic Message Board

If You Could Start A Religious Order/community, What Would It Be, Or L

nikita92

A missionary order that focuses on converts -- from pantheistic religions -- yet also the new age. Tremendous hunger exists -- for the truth and the modern world -- contains many pagans that seek better -- yet do not comprehend where to turn to find truth.

TheresaThoma

Someone asked me this question the other night after finding out I am discerning. My answer was, "basically the order I am discerning with"!

NadaTeTurbe

Actually, I have had a big discussion about it with a priest, when we discovered that our « ideal » community is… exactly the same ! There will be a contemplative and an apostolic community, based on the same spirituality

Tradional/modern : If by modern you mean Vatican II-loving, yes.
Habit/non-habit : non-habit, or just a kind of uniform like a blue skirt or jean, a white t-shirt, and a little white veil, for the sisters who want it.
Monastic-contemplative/apostolic activity : Apostolic activity. It would be sister who help isolated people who are in poverty, like having a dispensary or orphanage in Patagonia, etc… but the priority would be to help people in refugee camp, like there is now in Syria, Libia, but also in France in Caen, for example.
Community living/off-site : I don’t understand ?
Mind-body health issues allowed/not allowed : Body health issues allowed (i’m disable ;) ), but no mind health issues allowed.
Higher education requirement/not a factor : It would depend, I guess
Spirituality : Based on our three favorites things :
a) The gospel according to st Luke specially in the nativity and in the Our Father prayer
b) Vatican II especially seen through the eyes of Pope Francis in Evangelium Gaudi.
c) Saint Vincent of Paul when he said to Louise that you can stop praying to help the poor, because helping the poor is praying.
d) And maybe G.K.Chesterton when he speak about humility

Means of supporting the community : work (see below), donation
Family members visits,letter writing,use of technology : family members visits whenever they want (if it is possible), write when they want, etc…
Permit pets/no pets (not referring to animals used for food or products-cheese etc) : GOD BLESS THE DOGS ! (haha. Yes.)
Why would your community attract women and or men (of all ages) : Because it helps the poorest of the poor, because it values solitary prayer, because it is at 100% a Vatican II order
What makes it stand out : the mission and the way of prayer
Located in the city/outskirts : outskirts
Mission : helping in their material needs the poorest of the poor in remoted places, specially refugee camp.
Prayer life :
-Solitary prayer, 2 hours by day
- lectio divina (solitary & in community)
- maybe there will be no access to the mass, so meditation of the text of the mass and communion of desire – adoring Jesus in the host even if we can’t see it. a kind of eucharistic adoration by desire
-helping the poor is a prayer

For the contemplative :

Tradional/modern : again, vatican II-loving
Habit/non-habit : if the sister want she can wear a kind of habit, something humble.
Monastic-contemplative/apostolic activity : contemplative whith a little of apostolic activity
Community living/off-site : ?
Mind-body health issues allowed/not allowed : Body health issues allowed, mind issues not allowed
Higher education requirement/not a factor : not a factor
Spirituality : Same : St Luke, Vatican II, St Vincent of Paul, chesterton.
Means of supporting the community : work (manual work ?), donation, half-time work if needed

Family members visits,letter writing,use of technology : family visits when they want, letter when they want, cellphone when on mission, computer during free time if wanted
Permit pets/no pets (not referring to animals used for food or products-cheese etc) : dog and cat but from a no-kill shelter !
Why would your community attract women and or men (of all ages) : the mission, the prayer.
What makes it stand out : again, the mission and the prayer
Located in the city/outskirts : city
Mission :
- to make the apostolic community know (going into parish to explain it, etc…) and to ask for donation to help the poor (like with something to sponsor kids, you see ?)
- the encourage catholic family to live in poverty because poverty is not only for religious, it’s for ALL
- to support the apostolic community by prayer
Prayer life :
- 2 hours of solitary prayer
- Daily mass
- Divine office
- Lectio divina (alone and in community)

here we go. We speak about it during 3 full hours, facing the grotto in Lourde, it was good to dream and so moving to meet someone who think like you ! 

A traditional commuity

Black or brown Tunic,scapular,cinture,rosary beads,optional cape,hood,and for nuns they also would wear a veil,wimple,cap,and collar.

In a monastery and no more than 20 members.

One needs a high school diploma.

They would work in hospitals,

Family may visit for 1 week at a time and 2x a year

They are permited to write 4 letters a year to each family member. 

Emails may be used by the VD.

Emails for othrs are used for emergency ad the proffesed may use email 2x a week.

We could have pets.but no more then 6 and no mre then 90 farm animals.

Located in city outskirts.

Daily Schedule: 4:00am exersise

5:00am prayer

5:05 am Lauds and Matins

5:30 am Mass 

6:30 am Breakfast

7:00 am Apostlates

9:00 am Work peroid or apostlates

12:00pm Angelus,Sext,Lunch

1:00pm nap,work period

3:00pm Chaplet of Divine Mercy ,15 decade rosary but not the days set mysteries.

5:00 pm Work Supper

6:30pm days set of mysteries for the rosary and prayers to Saint Michael.

7:00 pm Recreation

8:00 pm Night Prayers and Personal Prayer

8:30pm Spiritual Reading

9:00pm Bed

perpetual rosary during the NIGHT

Note:penance if one is not in bed by MIDNIGHT

Nada de Turbe you did not know what Community Living/Offsite means I think it means how you. would live in a convent,monastery,abbey,priory?

NadaTeTurbe

aaah, okay. I guess the apostolic would live where they minister, in a relative poverty (poverty, yes, but no poverty who can endanger health - it is pride), and convent for the contemplative ? I personnaly like the idea of convent in a city like the Fraternity of Jerusalem. 

Sr Mary Catharine OP

A traditional commuity

Black or brown Tunic,scapular,cinture,rosary beads,optional cape,hood,and for nuns they also would wear a veil,wimple,cap,and collar.

In a monastery and no more than 20 members.

One needs a high school diploma.

They would work in hospitals,

Family may visit for 1 week at a time and 2x a year

They are permited to write 4 letters a year to each family member. 

Emails may be used by the VD.

Emails for othrs are used for emergency ad the proffesed may use email 2x a week.

We could have pets.but no more then 6 and no mre then 90 farm animals.

Located in city outskirts.

Daily Schedule: 4:00am exersise

5:00am prayer

5:05 am Lauds and Matins

5:30 am Mass 

6:30 am Breakfast

7:00 am Apostlates

9:00 am Work peroid or apostlates

12:00pm Angelus,Sext,Lunch

1:00pm nap,work period

3:00pm Chaplet of Divine Mercy ,15 decade rosary but not the days set mysteries.

5:00 pm Work Supper

6:30pm days set of mysteries for the rosary and prayers to Saint Michael.

7:00 pm Recreation

8:00 pm Night Prayers and Personal Prayer

8:30pm Spiritual Reading

9:00pm Bed

perpetual rosary during the NIGHT

Note:penance if one is not in bed by MIDNIGHT

​Oh dear! This is not for humans!

PhuturePriest

I had amazingly good ideas when I was sixteen. The Friars of the Blessed Virgin seriously need to happen.

​I like the strict orders.:P

​Perpetual rosary during the night for brothers who work in a hospital would be a bit much. ;) You'd be falling asleep on the poor patients. There is a reason why apostolic communities don't usually pray the full Office and have an unbroken night's sleep - it doesn't mean they're not strict in their observance, they just know what they can accomplish in 24 hours!

I had amazingly good ideas when I was sixteen. The Friars of the Blessed Virgin seriously need to happen.

​Tell us about the Friars of the Blessed Virgin

PhuturePriest

​Tell us about the Friars of the Blessed Virgin

1) Traditional

2) Habits without question

3) Active and contemplative

4) Community living would be a must

5) It would depend on the mind and body issues specifically

6) Higher education wouldn't matter unless you wanted to be a Priest

7) Most likely a glorious fusion of Dominican and Franciscan spiritualities

8) We would live off donations and by speaking at conferences and such

9) Family members would be allowed to visit, as well as written letters and limited technology

10) There might be a community dog or cat (Most likely a German Shepherd or Labrador if it's up to me)

11) It would attract men and women because hopefully we would be attractive in our holy lifestyle and work

12) It would stand out because it would be the only community in the diocese

13) And it would likely be just outside of town.

SrKateri brings up some more in-depth questions that got me thinking.

Habits: I think for a habit we would have something almost exactly like the Dominican Friar habit, except we would have a deep blue cappa instead of a black one, and possibly a cord rather than a belt (Dominican Friars wear belts, for some of you female discerners that might not know). I always thought that would be a really nice color blend.

Name: Friars of the Blessed Virgin.

Apostolate: Preaching in parishes, hospitals and conferences primarily, as well as doing community work, including helping refurbish nearby parishes

Special Devotions: Daily Rosary (A must), Eucharistic Holy Hour, and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy every day at 3:00 before the Blessed Sacrament.

Patron Saints: Saint Dominic, (Soon-to-be) Saint Pope John Paul the Great, and Saint Therese of Lisieux.

It will be quite the diverse community. :P

veritasluxmea

(Dominican Friars wear belts, for some of you female discerners that might not know).

​Dominican Sisters also wear belts, not a cord, while Franciscan brothers and sisters wear a cord. I just noticed that difference lol.