An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where In The World Is Allie?

Gabriela

Spem in alium

Regardless of what's happened, this is saddening news. I will continue to pray for Allie, whoever and wherever she may be. And for you too, curiosing, and the monastery she was to visit. They must certainly be worried.

What I don't understand is if it was all a hoax, how come she would still apply to the monastery. It seems to me that if someone were to make a hoax, they wouldn't apply for real. Her posts also seem genuine somehow.

These are my thoughts also. I don't think we should be making quick assumptions or conclusions, but the whole situation does seem strange.

Exactly.  Needless to say, I am not a Llama.  Well, at least not most of the time. 

Nor am I St. AnneLine.  Well, at least not most of the time, although I do occasionally put up a priest who is traveling in our guest room. 

But you get my point. 

We just don't know, we don't have enough info.  So let's pray, and let's let Curiousing do what she can to solve the mystery.

I thoroughly enjoyed this.  :hehe2:

OnlySunshine

OK, we don't know what is going on, so let's not jump to any conclusions.  I agree it all sounds very odd... but we don't know all the pieces.

It's not our place to go delving into her personal life, in my opinion.  And certainly not into a third party's personal stuff.

I'd say if anyone has any additional info, let Curiousing know.... or if anyone is in contact with Allie, ask her to contact Curiousing or one of the rest of us. 

I think we should pray for her; no matter what is going on, that is always an appropriate response.  

But you all may have a different opinion.

I agree 100%.  My personal opinion is that anyone could have stolen Allie's picture and used it as a spam account.  Remember, innocent until proven guilty.  ;)

MarysLittleFlower

Yea... I'm going to not assume that it's a hoax account, or assume anything at all, but just wait, - however this is worrying to me and I hope she would be found :(

BarbTherese

I will be praying for Allie daily.  It is very a suspicious situation for sure.

What are the thoughts about contacting the police?  The comment that any sort of hoax etc. would hardly, one would think, actually apply to a monastery and her posts did seem quite genuine.  Refer the matter to dUSt?

I will be praying for Allie daily.  It is very a suspicious situation for sure.

What are the thoughts about contacting the police?  The comment that any sort of hoax etc. would hardly, one would think, actually apply to a monastery and her posts did seem quite genuine.  Refer the matter to dUSt?

I thought to call the police, but what would I say? "We all knew this woman via email and phone and an online forum, and now she isn't answering us"? I'm sure they'd say: "Yeah, she's probably ignoring you." We don't have a home address, she hasn't stolen money from anyone, no one got any phone calls implying she was kidnapped or anything—there's absolutely nothing they could do.

LATEST UPDATE: I was wrong about the place she said she worked. Mother corrected me. Not that it made any difference. She never worked in the other place either. (Although she did say that she had previously worked in the place I checked on before, and they also said they'd never heard her name.) There were flights on the day she says she flew at the times that she posted she was on the plane. (I called the Dallas airport and they confirmed flight schedules for me.) Her Facebook page is quite suspicious (just because it's near totally empty), but her IP address is in the general area of where she said she lives. I'm trying to find someone who can verify the educational background she said she has, but so far no luck there. I also emailed Allie again through Facebook, as well as emailing the other woman who is using the same profile photo.

I agree that we shouldn't speculate about anything, but I hope you all can agree that I am simply stating facts when I say that, if the other woman (her name is Chenelle) lifted Allie's profile photo, then she did a much better job of it. Chenelle has a consistent online presence in multiple places (though she, too, raises some suspicions). Allie, on the other hand, appears spottily and apparently inconsistently. So if I had to make a judgment at this point, based purely on probabilities, I'd say that Chenelle is real and Allie is fake. Of course, Allie may also be real and simply have disappeared for various reasons (worrisome or not-so-worrisome ones). But that would certainly be very strange... I just don't deny that it's possible. :-)

What do I think (at present)? I have a strong gut feeling that Allie is Chenelle, because I have suspicions that what I see on Chenelle's profiles all over the place gives reason to suspect she might do such a thing. Why she should disappear, though, I have no idea. And anyway, this is just a gut feeling. I don't want to malign the woman, and I certainly might be wrong!

Exactly.  Needless to say, I am not a Llama.  Well, at least not most of the time. 

Just to set the record straight, I'm not an angora rabbit, either.  I don't even have white hair.  I do, however, frequently say "Gesundheit".

Hoaxers, IMO, rarely forego the experience of saying "I fooled you!" at some point, so my gut instincts tell me this isn't a hoax...but what IS going on, I really can't say.

I didn't mean to advertise any of her private info on here in anyway shape or form! I meant if someone gets her physical address in one way or another.. They can call the local police dept and explain the circumstances and let them decide if a wellness visit is warranted! Geez people.. I work in Security and I should know about keeping people's personal info PRIVATE! No one wants a law suit amongst other things!

BarbTherese

Certainly not post any of her personal details online especially not her location details.

if someone gets her physical address in one way or another.. They can call the local police dept and explain the circumstances and let them decide if a wellness visit is warranted

Good suggestion!  If personal details are located, keep them private and contact the police, let them decide.  Give them the link to this thread too - posting here does illustrate a real level of concern and the police will work out just who is at the keyboard.  The police, of course, have ways and means outta sight for locating people that the general public' do not even dream about'. They have police not only computer literates, but computer geniuses.

If anyone knows of a religious community that Allie actually did contact, they just might have her personal details and of course would not share them.  One could ring them up, speak to the superior and see if she might contact the police in the area and thus do what is right (to my mind) without disclosing Allie's personal details and stated address.  If there is such a community and one speaks to the superior, give her the link to this thread to pass on to the police, if she will.  I mean our concern is really genuine, really!  Far better to make a wrong step, than to be fully concerned and do nothing that could be constructive.  Not to state at all that anything I suggest is constructive.

When did Allie last post on Facebook?

I have no idea how computer literate Allie might have been.  I don't go near Facebook since registering initially and then had a dreadful time trying to work out how to delete my profile.  In fact I had to return several times trying to work the site out over a span of time after learning more about computers and associated language terms.  Eventually I can understand a person leaving their profile there after deciding they did not like the site.  Certainly my extended family use it in the main to stay in touch - but I am living alone and not too computer literate and there have been that many problems associated with Facebook on TV, including murders, that it's a site I wont go near.  I don't understand enough about computers to my mind.  When my profile was still up, I googled more times than I can count trying to find out how to use the site.  It is very confusing to someone not too computer literate - again to my mind.

BarbTherese

Certainly not post any of her personal details online especially not her location details.

if someone gets her physical address in one way or another.. They can call the local police dept and explain the circumstances and let them decide if a wellness visit is warranted

Good suggestion!  If personal details are located, keep them private and contact the police, let them decide.  Give them the link to this thread too - posting here does illustrate a real level of concern and the police will work out just who is at the keyboard.  The police, of course, have ways and means outta sight for locating people that the general public' do not even dream about'. They have police not only computer literates, but computer geniuses.

If anyone knows of a religious community that Allie actually did contact, they just might have her personal details and of course would not share them.  One could ring them up, speak to the superior and see if she might contact the police in the area and thus do what is right (to my mind) without disclosing Allie's personal details and stated address.  If there is such a community and one speaks to the superior, give her the link to this thread to pass on to the police, if she will.  I mean our concern is really genuine, really!  Far better to make a wrong step, than to be fully concerned and do nothing that could be constructive.  Not to state at all that anything I suggest is constructive.

When did Allie last post on Facebook?

I have no idea how computer literate Allie might have been.  I don't go near Facebook since registering initially and then had a dreadful time trying to work out how to delete my profile.  In fact I had to return several times trying to work the site out over a span of time after learning more about computers and associated language terms.  Eventually I can understand a person leaving their profile there after deciding they did not like the site.  Certainly my extended family use it in the main to stay in touch - but I am living alone and not too computer literate and there have been that many problems associated with Facebook on TV, including murders, that it's a site I wont go near.  I don't understand enough about computers to my mind.  When my profile was still up, I googled more times than I can count trying to find out how to use the site.  It is very confusing to someone not too computer literate - again to my mind.

BarbTherese

I thought to call the police, but what would I say? "We all knew this woman via email and phone and an online forum, and now she isn't answering us"? I'm sure they'd say: "Yeah, she's probably ignoring you." We don't have a home address, she hasn't stolen money from anyone, no one got any phone calls implying she was kidnapped or anything—there's absolutely nothing they could do.

Certainly here in Australia, the police would not do this dependant, of course, on how long Allie seems to have been missing.  Supposing only if they did, I would be contacting my federal member representing the police - and I never contact the party in government, rather the opposition since the opposition, being politicians, always have a vested interest in putting the government 'down' and want to win votes and getting things done for a voter might be a good way of gaining votes.  I don't understand politics outside of Australia, and jolly little in Australia.  But I certainly have got productive things done that I wanted to get done by contacting the main party in opposition - not that I have ever had occasion to contact any member of parliament re any police matter. 

Edited by BarbaraTherese

maximillion

There is one scenario that would fit the facts as we can ascertain them: Disociative Identity Disorder.

Dissociative identity disorder (DID), also known as multiple personality disorder (MPD),[1] is a mental disorder characterized by at least two distinct and relatively enduring identities or dissociated personality states that alternately control a person's behavior, and is accompanied by memory impairment for important information not explained by ordinary forgetfulness. These symptoms are not accounted for by substance abuseseizures, other medical conditions, nor by imaginative play in children.[2] Diagnosis is often difficult as there is considerable comorbidity with other mental disorders. Malingering should be considered if there is possible financial or forensic gain, as well as factitious disorder if help-seeking behavior is prominent.[2]

It is just possible that there is an 'Allie' and a 'Chanelle' in the same body, neither of whom have much idea that the other exists.

Of course this is pure speculation on my part, but so closely fits what we know that I couldn't fail to think of it.

As has been said elsewhere though, whatever the situation - and we may never find out, prayers for Allie, as entrusting her to His care is the best thing we can do.

BarbTherese

Anything is possible I think.  Allie was a real presence here on Phatmass, best to let the police decide.  Certainly if I had any personal details of Allie, I would be contacting the police - problem is that I don't and I am in South Australia.  Better a wrong step, than to not do something that just might be constructive in a situation (my philosophy) and especially re a friend and one can form real friendships via computer and even discussion sites but never met the person personally nor know any location details etc.  I have friends I regularly email and they me that would fall into that latter category.

As has been said elsewhere though, whatever the situation - and we may never find out, prayers for Allie, as entrusting her to His care is the best thing we can do.

I am spending time in my oratory praying for Allie and since she comes regularly to mind prayerfully during the day, I am praying more than once.  Jesus certainly knows when only one very short prayer is coming from a heart really moved re the intention - and hears that very first time and never forgets anything ever nor anything about that quick prayer, not a jot or an iota.

I can be prone to anxiety (especially as night begins to fall as now in South Australia) and am off to take half an Oxazepam as I am feeling quite anxious about Allie. 

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Genuine DID is so rare that this would be incredibly improbable. And even if she did have it, those around her could hardly fail to notice the sudden switches in personality even if she didn't register them herself, and they would have alerted her.

Really, can we stop this a bit for a day or so and let Curiousing do what she is doing to contact people. 

I know that everyone is concerned, but I don't think jumping to a lot of conclusions or doing a lot of stuff to try to locate her is going to create a lot of positive responses... and could make it more difficult for people to do that work. 

Pray and let it go for a day or so... and lets see what the next few days bring.

But as always, my opinion....

BarbTherese

I really agree and prayer never goes astray, never..........and any self-denial associated with time given to prayer doesn't go astray either, never.

Changing the actual subject of this thread into random pure speculations as to what has happened to Allie -  and discussing any such random pure speculations is not a wise move in the circumstances, I think.