An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bride Of Christ—another Perspective

Sponsa-Christi

Catholic Catechism

796 The unity of Christ and the Church, head and members of one Body, also implies the distinction of the two within a personal relationship. This aspect is often expressed by the image of bridegroom and bride. The theme of Christ as Bridegroom of the Church was prepared for by the prophets and announced by John the Baptist.234 The Lord referred to himself as the "bridegroom."235The Apostle speaks of the whole Church and of each of the faithful, members of his Body, as a bride "betrothed" to Christ the Lord so as to become but one spirit with him.236 The Church is the spotless bride of the spotless Lamb.237 "Christ loved the Church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her."238 He has joined her with himself in an everlasting covenant and never stops caring for her as for his own body:239

This is the whole Christ, head and body, one formed from many . . . whether the head or members speak, it is Christ who speaks. He speaks in his role as the head (ex persona capitis) and in his role as body (ex persona corporis). What does this mean? "The two will become one flesh. This is a great mystery, and I am applying it to Christ and the Church."240 And the Lord himself says in the Gospel: "So they are no longer two, but one flesh."241 They are, in fact, two different persons, yet they are one in the conjugal union, . . . as head, he calls himself the bridegroom, as body, he calls himself "bride."242

Ima -- I just wanted to make it clear that my posts were not on your comments.  I think honest questions about any vocation is fine, I am just leary when it turns into an all-out debate (when it doesn't need to be).  So I just wanted to clarify this just in case you perceived that I was commenting on your posts.

Thank you. I know I've got to remember "the whole world doesn't revolve around you" actually applies. I posted and a number of people jumped on the, "I don't want a debate" comment and I was worried they thought that I was trying to derail this thread.

It's really hard for me to post and I'm not hostile to new ideas. Or old ones. My dad always said that the Church will provide the answers. That it's good to seek them out. He was always firm in his faith that we will discover the truth, sooner or later, or already.

I know this isn't a debate thread. After I've graded papers, seen to dinner and dishes, I put my feet up (doctor's orders) and while the kids relax with reading and playing, I apply my time to studying to expand my own understanding of Church teachings. 

I love this vocation. I can't ever pursue it myself but will always admire those who give themselves this way. I also love the Sisters who give themselves with vows to the Evangelical Counsels. You don't have to be discerning the vocation to take an interest, no? 

So, thank you. And thank you, Sponsa Christi for starting this thread. I am pondering and researching what you have said in order to understand it better. :-/ And am grateful for your pm. Still thinking about that. :-/ But thank you.  :proud:

I'm currently reading the USACV welcome packet. It's very beautiful. Truly informative. I'd recommend it to anyone for furthering an understanding of this vocation.

Peace. 

Edited by Ima Lurker

Never know, IAL, maybe one day your children, for one only, might be asking you about the various vocations etc. :)