An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Will Be Restricting Access To Vocation Station

dUSt

FutureCarmeliteClaire

I sent a private message, but I'll pipe in here, too.

I'm all for rules and clarification. One of the problems here is that it can get to be like a clique. If people are long time online friends, that's great! But those online friendships shouldn't dictate what threads are "acceptable" and what threads are not "acceptable."

I've noticed quite a number of times that a group of friends will descend upon a thread/person they don't like and pretty much harass the thread. There should be some guidelines against that.

There should be space for a variety of discussions. There should be room for all of us.

Above all, I think the intention of the person who started a thread should be respected. If it's a fun thread, let it be fun. If it's academic, let it be academic. If it's to offer warm, uplifting advice, let it be that. I think it should be made clear that descending upon someone else's thread because you don't like the topic/the person is bad manners and not okay.

A certain level of maturity should be expected: if a topic isn't your cup of tea, refrain from posting there.

Amennnnnn

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Actually, Nunsense, I did read the post before it was edited by the mod, and I have a fairly good idea as to why it was removed.  I am sorry you feel insulted by the fact that I speculated why mods took visible action with your post and why they did not take any visible actions in some of the other posts leading up to dUSt's announcement.   Having been in the "inner circle" so to speak in different places, I know that oftentimes action is not taken because good rules have not been carefully crafted to fit the situation, that the hope is that there is a tempest in a teapot that will blow over soon.  Perhaps there are internal rules we are unaware of, like mods not moving threads to the debate table or a three strikes you're out.  I don't know.  That's what I said- I don't know the inner workings.  I also said it would be nice to have some transparent rules so that we do know when someone is out of line.  Is it okay for someone to post lots of posts on humility and charity with the obvious message to someone that they are neither humble nor charitable?  Is it okay to say you'll stalk someone you don't agree with?  These are questions rules can cover.  Personally, I feel one post on any thread about "tone" is more than enough. If someone agrees with someone's reaction to a perceived tone, they can "prop" it.  A rule capping critiques about tone to one post in a thread might be the solution.

There is definitely an inner circle, but I don't think nunsense is part of it. And cliquey "inner circle" types of issues are not nearly as prevalent in VS. It's a simple issue of charity and people being nasty to other people.