An Old School Catholic Message Board

Other Membership Organizations?

Kylie Spinelli

Kylie Spinelli

Just wondering if anyone was aware of any membership organizations for female religious orders similar to the CMSWR. I'm guessing that the CMSWR and the LCWR are the most well-known. Are there any others out there?

This is NOT a debate about the different organizations, please don't take it as such. 

God bless!

~Kylie

The Institute for Religious Life? I think that's not quite an umbrella organization the way the CMSWR and the LCWR are. There may be quite a bit of overlap between the IRL and the others. Not sure, though. AnneLine probably knows.

Are you searching for more orgs in order to use their websites to look at different orders and houses? If so, there are better websites for that. Lemme know if you want links.

Kylie Spinelli

Are you searching for more orgs in order to use their websites to look at different orders and houses? If so, there are better websites for that. Lemme know if you want links.

Yes, that's precisely what I was doing :hehe: how did you knowwww?! :P

Yes, that's precisely what I was doing :hehe: how did you knowwww?! :P

What else would you be doing with them? I think every one of us does that at some point. But the first resource here, at the top of this list, is hands-down the best for searching for houses in the US. There's some outside the US as well, but for the US it's really good. (Doesn't mean they have everyone—no one has everyone!)

*Religious Life Directory Poor Clare Sisters More Carmelites (including men) Info on Discalced Carmelites And more Carmelites Cloistered Dominican Nuns CMSWR Member Communities Institute on Religious Life | IRL Cloistered Communities List Carmelite Institute Carmelite Monasteries Religious Ministries - Directory of Catholic Vocations and Religious Communities Conference of Major Superiors of Men (CMSM) Leadership Conference of Women Religious Eastern Catholic Female Congregations Cloisters Traditional Women's Religious Orders by Spiritual Practices U.S.A. Religious - USA Olivetan Benedictine Monasteries

And then there are these individual communities, which have a few rarely found ones, but for the most part are well-known houses:

MFB Livingston Manor Monastic Family of Bethlehem (Hermits, Women and Men, All Overseas) Monastic Family of Bethlehem Article Sisters Of Bethlehem In Livingston Manor - Vocation Station - Phatmass Phorum Hermits of Bethlehem in the Heart of Jesus - Contact Us Tridentine Benedictines (Oklahoma): Clear Creek Sisters The Community of St. John Monastery of the Immaculate Heart of Mary TX Brigittine Sisters Monastery of our Lady of the Rosary Buffalo, NY Dominican Nuns Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration - St. Jospeh Adoration Monastery- Portsmouth Ohio Cloistered, Contemplative, Franciscan Nuns Pittsburgh Passionist Nuns bbey of Regina Laudis St. Walburga Our Lady of the Rock Visitation Sisters of Tyringham Monastery of the Visitation of Holy Mary Monte Maria ~ Rockville, Virginia Bethlehem Monastery - Barhamsville, Virginia Article about Poor Clares, Barhamsvilles Franciscan Sisters, T.O.R. TOR Sisters Clear Creek Abbey ("Cloistered" men—kinda') EWTN MFVA Brothers (PCPA Sisters-closest email) Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George (Steubenville, active order) Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration (Steubenville, active order) Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist - Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist Byzantine Nuns in Ohio, Christ the Bridegroom Franciscan Monastery of the Holy Land, Washington, DC ("Little Vatican" neighborhood—LOOK UP FOR MORE COMMUNITIES) PCPA Canton (Sancta Clara Monastery) Salesian Sisters - YouTube PCPA Hanceville—YouTube PCPA Texas Desert Nuns (PCPA)—AZ Cistercians, Wisconsin (moving) Vocations to the Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration of Our Lady of Solitude, Black Canyon City, Arizona Companions of Clare Salesian (Brothers) of Don Bosco: Teachers St. Cecilia's Abbey (UK) Poor Sisters of St. Clare, Fort Wayne, IN Capuchin Poor Clares Community of the Epiphany—Accepts those with disabilities Bethlehem Hermits, NJ Irish Hermit Nun   I don't know why PM is making them all into a paragraph like that. :idontknow:

These won't help you find a house (most likely), but they're all about just general vocations-related stuff:

***Leonie's Longing: A ministry for women who have left the convent Vocational Download Club - Lighthouse Catholic Media USCCB's For Your Vocation NRVC - National Religious Vocation Conference What is Discernment? "Quick Discernment Tool" USCCB's Top 10 Vocation Web Sites On the Culture : Some Statistics on Women Religious - Catholic Culture Vocations Podcast CARA - Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate USCCB Church Statistics Official Catholic Directory Vocation.com (Great site) Vocation Match (AWESOME!) Number of Catholics in the world grows by 15m in a year | CatholicHerald.co.uk Vatican: Religious orders decline, diocesan priests rise - USATODAY.com Vatican says number of Catholics, priests, bishops worldwide increased « Today's Catholic Catholic Data, Catholic Statistics, Catholic Research Dominican Sisters - Frequently Asked Questions Totally Wack Survey by LA Times Statistics Holy Spirit Adoration Sisters - Are You Being Called? USCCB Religious Orders Retirement Debt Study: New Members In Religious Orders Younger, More Educated Suggested Reading for Contemplative-Calleds (from Dominican Monastery) Verbi Sponsa (Vatican document outlining rules for cloistered nuns) Vocation Resources 66. Yes to God at 18 (Part 1) - Mother Sebastian & Fr Paul Newton (DIRECTION 15).mpg - YouTube 67. Yes to God at 18 (Part 2) - Mother Sebastian & Fr Paul Newton (DIRECTION 16).mpg - YouTube Bad vocation advice? Expectations of Religious Imagine Sisters | Facebook Shopping List for Religious Life Candidates Psych Exams for Entrance Vocation Confirmation : IgnitumToday Seeking a Vocation Franciscan Brothers Minor * Extern Sisters (PM, VS Phorum) Fr. Gallagher's Discernment of Spirits How to Find Your Purpose and Do What You Love | Brain Pickings What Would You Do If Money Were No Object? Alan Watts on the Life of Purpose | Brain Pickings * Questions to Ask a Vocations Directress * 15 Signs Of Trouble - Vocation Station - The Phorum VATICAN DOCS: The Service of Authority and Obedience, Instruction Do I Have a Vocation? Blog by Therese Ivers Light of Love - Coming Soon! - Light of Love Laboure Society (Debt Resolution for Aspirants) Vocation Promotion | Finding good candidates Parker Palmer's Center for Courage & Renewal ‘Becoming Sister Mary Grace’ Encourages Vocations in Girls | Daily News | NCRegister.com Practical Tips for Fostering Vocations in the Home Fr. Andrew McAlpin's Blog The Nuns Not on the Bus | Religion & Politics SAMPLING THE MONASTIC LIFE - NYTimes.com Photographs of Traditional Habits Discernment eBook by Georgetown Visitation Sisters Summit Dominicans Vocation eBook

Kylie Spinelli

:dance: OHMYGOSH haha thank you!!   :blink: now I have the task to go through ALL of them! HAHA :)

^_^ 

Thanks again!!

:nun2:

Kylie, I saw that Curiousing took my name in vain!!! ;)

She also gave you a WONDERFUL set of links that are even more useful than what I would have come up with!!!

BUT.... I'm no expert on associations, but here's what I understand of the breakdown of those big 3.   

LCSW and CMSRW are the two big umbrella organizations, but both of those are JUST for active, apostolic communities.  NO contemplative communities.  Not sure why that is true.  Some communities choose to belong to one or the other, others to both.  There are advantages to belonging to each... so some communities choose to utilize resources from both.

I think the IRL is mostly CMSRW communities PLUS the contemplative/cloistered communities, but I am not sure. 

I don't know if there are any communities that are in LCSW and IRLor in all 3; again, might be advantages, but not sure. 

A LOT of the cloistered communities also part of associations or federations WITHIN a their own orders.  I don't think those are required and some communities REFUSE to do this, citing that their founders wanted each monastery autonomous. 

I know a little about the Dominican and Discalced Carmelite assocations:

Many of the Dominican communities belong to

http://usaopnuns.com/

But not all of them, and while some are 'associated' with those without technically being members.  (That may be simply that they don't have enough members to qualify or something, as they tend to be very small communities).

I know of several other contemplative Dominican groups that aren't MEMBERS nor AFFILIATED, It may be that they are not technically 'nuns' (i.e., recognized by the Master General as members of the 2nd order) or for other reasons don't want to belong. 

(Mt. Tabor Dominicans in Orton, MI cometo mind) ....

There may also be communities of nuns and/or sisters and/or in process of forming who are NOT in the formal association --  the Community of the Resurrection in Casco, Maine and Caterina Benincasa monastery in Newcastle, DE probably fit this description....

Someone mentioned the very traditional St. Dominic's Monastery of Linden, Virginia on another thread; not sure if they are just not part of an association, or not technically Nuns.  I just don't know....

So.... not so easy to give you a list!

The Discalced Carmelites are represented by several groups -- largely based on tradition and structure, not geography:  

NOTE:  This is NOT intended to promote any kind of debate -- descriptive terms are my own.

And some communities (both traditional and less traditional) have decided NOT to join associations.

These are the major associations:

St. Joseph Association - More Traditional Carmels - 1990 Carmels

http://www.carmelitenunsstjoseph.org/       

St. Teresa Association - More middle-of-road Carmels

http://www.carmelnuns.com/Association/AboutTheAssociation.html        

Mary Queen of Carmel Association - Separate group of middle-of-road Carmels

http://www.mary-queen-of-carmel-assoc.org/page2.php

Carmelite Communities Associated - Less traditional Carmels

http://www.ccacarmels.org/   

I believe the Franciscans/Poor Clares also have some Associations/Federations, including a group that are connected with the Roswell Poor Clare Colettines - Federation of Mary Immaculate?

The Benedictines also are in different observances, and also within the Benedictine order there are different Congregations... again broken down more by spirituality and emphasis on contemplation or teaching or other ministries than by geography I believe.... but I am not sure about those....  Maybe someone knows and can break these down for us?

Anyone else know more info???

Good thread!

Edited by AnneLine

The Benedictines also are in different observances, and also within the Benedictine order there are different Congregations... again broken down more by spirituality and emphasis on contemplation or teaching or other ministries than by geography I believe.... but I am not sure about those....  Maybe someone knows and can break these down for us?

Anyone else know more info???

Good thread!

To expand on Benedictines:

There are some Benedictine congregations that are geographical - e.g. Swiss, Austrian, Bavarian, Cono-Sur.

Other Benedictine congregations are geographic in basis, but connected also by heritage. For example, the English Benedictine Congregation has 10 houses in the UK, and 4 elsewhere in the world - but those not in the UK are foundations of English houses. Another example: Clear Creek in the US is part of the Solesmes Congregation. Clear Creek is a foundation of Fontgombault, which is a foundation of Solesmes. 

Yet another way congregations are broken down is by their spirituality. Olivetans, Vallumbrosians, Camaldolese would be examples of these. 

The Benedictine Confederation has these Congregations as members:

1. Subacio Cassinese
  2. English Congregation
  3. Hungarian Congregation
  4. Swiss Congregation
  5. Austrian Congregation
  6. Bavarian Congregation
  7. Brazilian Congregation
  8. Solesmes Congregation
  9. American-Cassinese Congregation
  10. Beuronese Congregation 
  11. Swiss-American Congregation
  12. Ottilien Congregation
  13. Annunciation Congregation
  14. Slav Congregation
  15. Olivetan Congregation
  16. Vallombrosian Congregation
  17. Camaldolese Congregation
  18. Sylvestrine
  19. Cono-Sur Congregation

Benedictines just like to break the mould. It comes with having such an ancient way of life, they existed before other common practices came about!

Edited by EmilyAnn