An Old School Catholic Message Board

Second Retreat (dc's Updates)

DiscerningCatholic

VeniJesuAmorMi

So this is the post where I tell you that I got application papers and am a candidate.

I got application papers and am a candidate.

1451492_465391796911281_2027353669_n.jpg

(P.S. I didn't eat any of the cookies... :| I'm awkward like that.)

I really like this picture. Thank you for sharing it! :) Prayers now as you start with the application stage.

Ummm.... question please? What is required on an application? I know they need your baptismal and confirmation certificates, some references, and often a medical, dental and psychological workup. But what else please? 

DiscerningCatholic

Well, you got most of it right there. They also need a letter of recommendation from your pastor or confessor. There is also a HUGE number of questions that they ask you (Happiest family memories? Favorite pasttimes? etc.) as well as HS transcripts. 

DiscerningCatholic

Sr. Mary Grace and a friend of mine made a game of trying to name the candidates.

Sr. Mary Grace wants me to be "Sr. Reginald Joseph, OP."

:|

ToJesusMyHeart

Ummm.... question please? What is required on an application? I know they need your baptismal and confirmation certificates, some references, and often a medical, dental and psychological workup. But what else please? 

Usually something like this:

-certificates for baptism and confirmation

-cumulative health record

-comprehensive physical exam

-eye exam

-dental exam

-psych evaluation

-letters of reference (pastor/spiritual director, employer/professional associate, and friends/relatives)

-personal history questionnaires

-spiritual autobiography (mine had to be 8-10 pages)

-high school and college transcripts

-other professional licenses/certificates

It varies slightly community-to-community, but I'm pretty sure that is a basic outline for contemplative-active communities. It will probably be a tad different for cloistered communities. 

DiscerningCatholic

-eye exam

-dental exam

-psych evaluation

-letters of reference (pastor/spiritual director, employer/professional associate, and friends/relatives)

It varies slightly community-to-community, but I'm pretty sure that is a basic outline for contemplative-active communities. It will probably be a tad different for cloistered communities. 

That's pretty much it except the DSMME don't ask for a spiritual autobiography (thank God). 

Katiebobatie94

That's pretty much it except the DSMME don't ask for a spiritual autobiography (thank God). 

I had to do an autobiography (it had to be at least 2 pages) -- lets just say that mine was wayy more! lol

Edited by Katiebobatie94

VeniJesuAmorMi

-eye exam

-dental exam

-psych evaluation

Oh my! That is really something. :) I never looked into contemplative-active communities so I wasn't sure about this. Yes, it is different than cloistered communities, well at least for the Carmelite ones I know of. Usually there is a few pages of questions (yes or no answers mostly), an autobiography, recommendation from a priest and a lay person, and a physical. A lot of 1990 Carmelite communities don't require psychological exams. Sometimes its just a mental health assessment if anything.

However, whatever needs to be done is usually just excitement to get it done so that you can enter the community your called to, or so it seems!

I'm sure your excited DC! Continued prayers.

domenica_therese

My essay thingy was supposed to be one page. That was obviously insufficient and mine was 2. Granted, they didn't want an entire spiritual autobiography. It was supposed to be specifically focused on why I wanted to join that community, though to answer that requires a kind of spiritual autobiography. I had already told them all my story several times throughout the process of discerning and asking for papers though, so I didn't feel like I needed to list everything, it was more a chronicle of the ebb and flow and I referenced some things just briefly, but I knew they'd know the backstory.

It might change from year to year though, because I had heard from a member of the community that they had had to write a spiritual autobiography when they joined.

There also weren't random questions about my life; I think that type of stuff got rolled in and covered with the psych eval, which was like 4 hours long. There were a few questions on the paper application, but it was more along the lines of "Are there any crazy people in your family?" and other things looking for red flags rather than a "get to know you!" type of deal. I can't remember if it even asked me about my prayer life. I don't think it did, that might of been one of the things that I was surprised to find was part of the "psych eval."

Edited by domenica_therese

DiscerningCatholic

Dental report done!

Apparently I need the MMPI administered for part of my psych eval...

:ohno:

ToJesusMyHeart

Apparently I need the MMPI administered for part of my psych eval...

:ohno:

Yeah, that sucker is like 450+ questions. It's insane. 

Take a bottle of water and let yourself take breaks every 80 or so questions. It was really a test of endurance for me.

DiscerningCatholic

:doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh: Long test, doe.

I need prayers for tomorrow; I'm gonna go talk to my confessor tomorrow about getting a letter of recommendation. I wouldn't normally be nervous about talking to a priest, but I'm not registered at his parish and I've never formally introduced myself, so it might be weird. 

Story: I never go to confession face-to-face. The priest never sees who I am. I've never introduced myself to my confessor (the opportunity just hasn't arisen). About two months ago, I was in confession once (behind the screen) and after talking about my prayer life, Fr. K. said, "This is just out of curiosity. I'm not trying to imply anything. But have you ever considered a vocation to the religious life?" I chuckled and said, "Yes, I actually am hoping to enter a religious community next year." He said, "Ah...well, you see, I just had a feeling when you came in that whoever came through that door had a religious vocation. I suppose there's something about your spirit. Whatever it is, I do think that you have a religious vocation." 

He doesn't know me beyond hearing my voice from behind the confessional screen. 

But that's the reason I'm going to him for my LOR.