An Old School Catholic Message Board

Second Retreat (dc's Updates)

DiscerningCatholic

:doh:  :doh:  :doh:  :doh: Long test, doe.

I need prayers for tomorrow; I'm gonna go talk to my confessor tomorrow about getting a letter of recommendation. I wouldn't normally be nervous about talking to a priest, but I'm not registered at his parish and I've never formally introduced myself, so it might be weird. 

Story: I never go to confession face-to-face. The priest never sees who I am. I've never introduced myself to my confessor (the opportunity just hasn't arisen). About two months ago, I was in confession once (behind the screen) and after talking about my prayer life, Fr. K. said, "This is just out of curiosity. I'm not trying to imply anything. But have you ever considered a vocation to the religious life?" I chuckled and said, "Yes, I actually am hoping to enter a religious community next year." He said, "Ah...well, you see, I just had a feeling when you came in that whoever came through that door had a religious vocation. I suppose there's something about your spirit. Whatever it is, I do think that you have a religious vocation." 

He doesn't know me beyond hearing my voice from behind the confessional screen. 

But that's the reason I'm going to him for my LOR. 

Hmmm. Is there another priest who might be able to also write a letter? the reason I suggest, is that your confessor will not be able to write about anything that was discussed in the confessional, and therefore if that is the only setting in which he has ever "met" you, he might find it difficult to write.

Yeah if the only things he knows about you are under the seal of confession it would be really hard for him to write a letter of rec for you. I would go with a priest that you have a bit more background with.

DiscerningCatholic

There aren't really any, unfortunately. I'm not close to any of the priests I know in "real life." I have talked about things that weren't part of my confession. Fr. K. probably doesn't remember, though, especially since he doesn't know me.

This is a problem... :|

Edited by DiscerningCatholic

DiscerningCatholic

Well, the pastor of my parish yelled at me (I don't know him at all, but the slip said letters from pastor or confessor), I'm not close with the other priest (he does know me a bit), I don't know any of the other local priests any better... :wall:

My own GODFATHER is a priest but I've only seen him once in the last 6 years. So...yah.

Well, the pastor of my parish yelled at me (I don't know him at all, but the slip said letters from pastor or confessor), I'm not close with the other priest (he does know me a bit), I don't know any of the other local priests any better... :wall:
My own GODFATHER is a priest but I've only seen him once in the last 6 years. So...yah.

...what...exactly...goes in a LOR, anyway? :blink: I don't even know that much! :doh:

I would say work with what you've got? You can't magically get a close priest friend at this stage, but the ones you see regularly can vouch that you're an upstanding member of the parish, not given to fits of screaming in the aisles, etc... And if your confessor thought you might have a vocation, he can write that! He doesn't need to break the seal of confession to say that.

I think the letter is supposed to be a sort of 'reference' from someone else in an official capacity in the Church. Doesn't have to/shouldn't be super-personal but pretty much confirming that you are who you say you are and they think it's ok that you try religious life.

DiscerningCatholic

That's what I figured, but some of the girls from my "group" said that their letters were more personal and whatnot. I'm gonna have to set up an appointment with Fr. K. at some point soon... :think:

ToJesusMyHeart

...what...exactly...goes in a LOR, anyway? :blink: I don't even know that much! :doh:

Sr. A told me that all they were looking for in the letters of reference was a glimpse into "who that person knows you to be." It's not necessarily a letter of 'recommendation'; rather, it's more a way for them to see how different people think of you. It's "okay...from your point of reference, who is this person?" They are interested in seeing what personality traits and what characteristics define you in other's eyes. So my spiritual director wrote a letter saying "this is who I know Katie to be, based on our relationship, etc." It wasn't so much a letter like you'd get for a job interview, where the letter writer says "oh, so-and-so is the greatest thing ever and they are so wonderful and hard-working and organized and a perfect fit for xyz position at your company..." 

It's simply a way for them to see how other people in your life view you. It doesn't have to be a gushing river of compliments and cliche phrases that build you up to seem like the perfect candidate. Because we're not perfect. We're weird and quirky and flawed. And vocations directors know that full well. 

So don't fret. :) Give it to Jesus. 

Edited by ToJesusMyHeart

Can you make an appt with the priest that is your confessor? If you tell him about your situation, maybe he would have a suggestion. It wouldn't have the whole seal of the confessional thing either.

AveMariaPurissima

Prayers, DC!

As an aside note, it's interesting reading about all the different documentation and such that's required for entrance.  When I entered I didn't have to do any of that, and I'm not really sure why...

DiscerningCatholic

I got my SAT scores today...up a full 208 points from last year!!!!!

SUCH A LOAD OFF MY MIND!!!!

AveMariaPurissima

I got my SAT scores today...up a full 208 points from last year!!!!!

SUCH A LOAD OFF MY MIND!!!!

Congrats! :)

SAT's were the bane of my high school existence - all the pressure. Then came the GRE's, and on and on.  I'm not a good test taker at all unless it's an essay.  Test anxiety, I guess.

I'm glad your scores went up significantly although IMHO I don't think they are a "be all to end all" predictor of how one will do in college/university as each person learns differently (e.g . I'm  kinesthetic learner).  My grades tended to fluctuate a bit depending on the teaching philosophy/methodology of the professor. Good luck on the remainder of your paperwork!

DiscerningCatholic

SAT's were the bane of my high school existence - all the pressure. Then came the GRE's, and on and on.  I'm not a good test taker at all unless it's an essay.  Test anxiety, I guess.

I'm glad your scores went up significantly although IMHO I don't think they are a "be all to end all" predictor of how one will do in college/university as each person learns differently (e.g . I'm  kinesthetic learner).  My grades tended to fluctuate a bit depending on the teaching philosophy/methodology of the professor. Good luck on the remainder of your paperwork!

Yeah, I don't think like the SAT AT ALL. I have a friend who scored ridiculously high but that was because she knew how to work her way through the system. I'm homeschooled and wasn't exposed to the public school test-taking system, so it took me longer to figure out how they wanted me to answer the questions. :pinch: The knowledge is there, though.