An Old School Catholic Message Board

Second Retreat (dc's Updates)

DiscerningCatholic

Almost Christmas!

Hoping the present I sent to da sistas made it there okay...

If this is the same community as that of the nun pictured in your profile, I know that they sure do like their Christmases. They advertised this at a vocation retreat...  :dance:

DiscerningCatholic

So this will kind of be my babble thread for now. 

Some of you probably don't know that I occasionally write (bad) poetry. The first stanza of this poem popped into my head during Mass today and I decided to finish it. 

To a town called Nazareth
The angel Gabriel came
He visited a virgin young
And Mary was her name

"Fear not," said he, "O full of grace
Most highly honored of your race
You shall conceive and bear a Son - 
The Savior He shall be.”

The girl, surprised at what she heard
Replied, “How could this be?”
"The Spirit of the living God
Shall overshadow thee.”

And all creation held its breath
To see if Mary gave her yes; 
To see if she’d give her consent
And bear the Prince of peace.

She bowed her head and meekly said
"May it be done to me.
I am the handmaid of the Lord;
What He requests shall be.”

And so because she gave her yes
She is among all others blest
For born to us through her was Christ,
Our Savior and our Lord.

Edited by DiscerningCatholic

Hi DC....Thank you for sharing that BEAUTIFUL poem with us,  You do have a gift for writing.  Perhaps you could spend your time in "waiting" to write more.  Then, someday, when you become a saint (with a capitol S) they will have a collection of your work!!!  I know its hard to postpone a vocation and I have really been praying for you,  I actually admire how you have shared your trials with everyone,  Use this time to write and to learn things that would be useful to your future Congregation.  (Take writing classes in college, learn a new musical instrument, take art classes and READ lots.)

ChristinaTherese

A random thing about college: it's a really good time to take classes in totally random things that you're kind of interested in but wouldn't normally pursue. If I could start college over and know I wasn't going to stick in the hard sciences I think I'd like to do that... There are fields I've never even thought I could care about that I've found out are fascinating.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so tired of feeling sad. :pinch:

BUT I'm March for Life on Sunday! :bounce:

Hugs to you. Maybe you could do something fun and creative to celebrate the state of life that you're in right now. Repaint your room or find some interesting "new" stuff at a thrift store...that's just me talking, I don't know what might be fun for you.

I'm so tired of feeling sad. :pinch:

BUT I'm March for Life on Sunday! :bounce:

DC, have you ever read the book Discernment of Spirits: An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living by Father Gallagher?  It's a.wesomely good.  I'm thinking it might help you out of the sad.  One of the big Ignatian things are the times of consolation and of desolation.  I read the book about four years ago and it's been helping me a lot with discerning (both religious vocation and just daily life.)

IgnatiusofLoyola

DC, have you ever read the book Discernment of Spirits: An Ignatian Guide for Everyday Living by Father Gallagher?  It's a.wesomely good.  I'm thinking it might help you out of the sad.  One of the big Ignatian things are the times of consolation and of desolation.  I read the book about four years ago and it's been helping me a lot with discerning (both religious vocation and just daily life.)

I second this suggestion! I have read several books on Ignatian spirituality, and this book is my favorite. I have read it more than once. It's actually the kind of book to have close by so you can refer back to certain chapters. 

Note to those of you who don't know me: My screen name came about NOT because I was interested in Ignatian spirituality. It worked the other way around. After I discovered Phatmass, I had a question I wanted to ask, so I needed to quickly come up with a "Catholic" screen name. My birthday is July 31, the feast day of St. Ignatius of Loyola, so I picked that name, knowing very little about him or Ignatian spirituality.

I only discovered later that I am quite Ignatian in my spirituality, although, if I were called to be a Religious, I suspect I would join a Dominican Community. The story that I tell people (which, I confess, part of me believes) is that I was born several dates before my due date not because I am impatient (although unfortunately I often am), but because my "fetal self" chose to be born on St. Ignatius' feast day. Make of it what you will.

Feel free to call me Iggy. Everyone else here does. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
DiscerningCatholic

Hung out with the Nashies at the March for Life! :smile3:

I also couldn't find my sisters (DSMME) while waiting for the march to start and I sent up a prayer asking St. Anthony to "help me find my sisters"...and like...20 seconds later, the Nashies showed up. :|

Hung out with the Nashies at the March for Life! :smile3:

I also couldn't find my sisters (DSMME) while waiting for the march to start and I sent up a prayer asking St. Anthony to "help me find my sisters"...and like...20 seconds later, the Nashies showed up. :|

That's the Holy Spirit for ya!  ;)

DiscerningCatholic

Fr. Benedict did say that the Nashies always march with the friars (who we were walking with) and that the DSMME sometimes do and sometimes don't. I just found it quite amusing. xD