An Old School Catholic Message Board

Second Retreat (dc's Updates)

DiscerningCatholic

DiscerningCatholic

Yes; applying to colleges. Yes; visited campuses. No; can't go to Aquinas (too expensive and out of state). 

And yes, one of the reasons I want to visit the Nashies is because I know they're different from the DSMME and I'd like to "experience" that difference. At this point, I can say with a lot of certainty that I AM called to a Dominican community and I feel very strongly that it's meant to be a teaching community. And traveling to visit various communities is limited for me, so I'm trying to stick to ones that I feel drawn to. Sr. Rita Marie (SsEW) made a good point when I emailed her a while back that it's usually better to only visit communities that you think you could possibly be called to in order to keep from getting confused, especially if you're seriously discerning with a specific community. (At least, that's what I understood her to say.)

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Nashies. I guess I'm used to Sr. Joseph Andrew's answer-every-email-within-30-seconds deal. :hehe:

domenica_therese

I'm still waiting to hear back from the Nashies. I guess I'm used to Sr. Joseph Andrew's answer-every-email-within-30-seconds deal. :hehe:

Yeah, Nashies can take a bit to respond, esp. since Sr. Peter Marie is currently on the road visiting different places. :)

Still think you might want to try going to visit a few other communties.   If you are right, it will only become more clear.  But sometimes seeing things through a different set of lenses can be a very powerful thing.   I'm a much better member of my Secular Order because I discerned with several other religious families... I know why I am called to my family, but I have also learned to value things that are important to the other traditions.  For example, I've really learned to love and value the LOTH and study from the Dominicans, even though I am not called to be one of them -- if God has asked ME it would have been my preference! -- but God had other ideas!

God has given you this year for a reason... take advantage of it!

DiscerningCatholic

Still think you might want to try going to visit a few other communties.   If you are right, it will only become more clear.  But sometimes seeing things through a different set of lenses can be a very powerful thing.   I'm a much better member of my Secular Order because I discerned with several other religious families... I know why I am called to my family, but I have also learned to value things that are important to the other traditions.  For example, I've really learned to love and value the LOTH and study from the Dominicans, even though I am not called to be one of them -- if God has asked ME it would have been my preference! -- but God had other ideas!

God has given you this year for a reason... take advantage of it!

Like I said, I would if I could, but I probably won't be able to visit many other communities because of A.) the cost and B.) I'll be at college. I'll do as well as I can do.

IgnatiusofLoyola

My heart is ready to break. :cry:

#DCProblems

I'm so sorry. If it would help to talk about it, just PM me.

• 2 weeks later...
DiscerningCatholic

Working on applying to Benedictine! :) There are a few things that might get in my way, but my dad was so impressed with their theology department that despite the fact that it's out of state and a private college, it's now his top pick. Keep praying! 

:blowkiss:

DiscerningCatholic

Today during Communion, I had this image in my head of a toddler Jesus pulling back the tabernacle veil to peek out and wave at everyone

:love:

IgnatiusofLoyola

Working on applying to Benedictine! :) There are a few things that might get in my way, but my dad was so impressed with their theology department that despite the fact that it's out of state and a private college, it's now his top pick. Keep praying! 

:blowkiss:

That is great news!!! So exciting!!!