An Old School Catholic Message Board

Joan Of Arc Song

Anastasia13

Oh my gosh, I was freaking out for a moment because I thought you had posted the latest Epic Rap Battle of History, which was totally outrageous.

WHEW!

http://youtu.be/KHjnjIbwvGI

The real Joan of Arc was cool.

I've heard a lot of Leonard Cohen's songs. Just because they have religious references doesn't mean they're religious - at least not in the Catholic sense of the word.

First of all, his lyrics are often obtuse (or confusing, or vague, or layered, or rich, or however you want to say it) so they're often hard to figure out.

Secondly, he often sexualizes religious references. Listen to his songs "Priests," "Sisters of Mercy," "Hallelujah," or look at the cover art on his album New Skin for the Old Ceremony - you can find many other examples.

My point is that Cohen - among many other artists - use Catholic/Christian symbolism as a ready-made symbolic system onto which they can lay their own meanings. I consider it a form of cultural imperialsm - they co-opt religion and subvert it to their own purposes, whether they understand the symbolism accurately or not, well or poorly, and whether they come by it honestly or simply find it in books somewhere.  

To me, it's about the same as misquoting Pope Francis (or any other Catholic leader) to support one's own foregone conclusion.