Jump to content

Is It A Must For Nuns To Cut Their Hair


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • dominicansoul

    8

  • vee

    7

  • Spem in alium

    5

  • sr.christinaosf

    5

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If I never had to color or style my hair again, I would be a happy woman :p . I would probably have bad veil days, but would never have a bad hair day again! :hehe:

There is much historical and religious significance to the ceremony of cutting the hair!  And yes, the practice does depend on the community.  During my own investiture (as a veiled novice), the hair

That's actually one part of religious life I will majorly look forward to, if I persevere so long. I hope they buzz it all off right down to the skin. It's such a pain in the tuchus as it is!

Posted Images

For the community Im interested in, if Im not mistaken, I think nightgowns are preferred but i can wear pajamas too especially in winter to keep warm.  Id have to bring a robe as well, and although I didnt see anyone in their PJs Im guessing they wear some kind of head covering as well as a night scapular.  

As for hair mine is long, about half way down my back, and it'll stay long under the postulant veil.  It will probably be in a ponytail or bun or whatever works.  If I make it to receiving the habit then they cut it off and how it looks after is between me and God, and Sr barber!   I think the hair cutting and such is private but seeing how things go Im kind of hoping to ask permission for my own sister to make that symbolic cut...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Benedictus said:

I actually wear a themed onesie sometimes, just saying. I think I was the first in my community house, but maybe someone else is out there :smile4:

My superior once thought seriously about buying us all (eight of us) animal onesies. Unfortunately we didn't go there but I'm very tempted to get one for myself. My mum actually used to sleep in an elephant onesie but I think my dad asked her to stop --- too many times he'd wake up and see this giant elephant head. 

Edited by Spem in alium
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2016, 2:07:23, dominicansoul said:

It was pretty necessary for me to shave my head.  I've got the thickest hair in the entire universe.  My veil kept popping off and could NOT have stayed on my head had I not cut it all off....

You've talked a couple of times about shaving your hair off. However, as far as I know, the Communities you were a part of wore veils that showed a bit of hair at the front. What did you do about that?

Now I have an odd picture in my head of you having a shaved head except for some longer hair at the very front, so that when you wore your veil, your hair would look like the other Sisters. Knowing you, you would have called it "the Secret Dominican Tonsure." ;)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, IgnatiusofLoyola said:

You've talked a couple of times about shaving your hair off. However, as far as I know, the Communities you were a part of wore veils that showed a bit of hair at the front. What did you do about that?

Now I have an odd picture in my head of you having a shaved head except for some longer hair at the very front, so that when you wore your veil, your hair would look like the other Sisters. Knowing you, you would have called it "the Secret Dominican Tonsure." ;)

I received a tonsure, without realizing i needed permission to do something like that.  The others in the novitiate who witnessed me getting a tonsure told others in the novitiate (cos they thought it was pretty cool i did that.)  St. Dominic is my spiritual father so I wanted a tonsure like his.  So I shaved my hair but the top, and put a little tonsure in there in his honor.  

When Sr. JA got a whiff of what happened, she and Mother approached me and asked if i had received a tonsure at my head shaving, and I said yes.  Their reactions were quite different than what I expected.  lol.  >.<

 

7 hours ago, John Paul said:

After the hair is cut during the novitate ceremony do you still get it cut every couple months?

in our community, we had a private bathroom just for hair cutting.  I'd shave mine with a bic razor every week, cos mine grew out pretty fast...

 

I can't believe I'm spilling all this out, I'm breaking the Dominican code!

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

I received a tonsure, without realizing i needed permission to do something like that.  The others in the novitiate who witnessed me getting a tonsure told others in the novitiate (cos they thought it was pretty cool i did that.)  St. Dominic is my spiritual father so I wanted a tonsure like his.  So I shaved my hair but the top, and put a little tonsure in there in his honor.  

When Sr. JA got a whiff of what happened, she and Mother approached me and asked if i had received a tonsure at my head shaving, and I said yes.  Their reactions were quite different than what I expected.  lol.  >.<

 

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but why did you need permission for a tonsure...?  Since your hair had to be cut anyway, why did you need permission for the way it was done?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coralieprincess said:

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but why did you need permission for a tonsure...?  Since your hair had to be cut anyway, why did you need permission for the way it was done?

It's kinda a big deal to get one's hair shaved after receiving the veil, and there's a specific way they asked me to have mine done and I didn't follow the specifics and went with what I wanted.  I could have it, I just needed to ask permission first.  I was always doing things without asking permission first....like the time I dragged a life-sized statue of Mary into my cell without telling anybody... lolololol but that's another story!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

not only that but I'm forever scarred by that tonsure!

 

My hair has never been the same since...i have so many problems with the way it grew back in that area.... I hope St. Dominic is pleased! :P

he is only pleased if you dye it red

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



It costs about $850 a year for Phatmass.com to survive–and we barely make it. If you’d like to help keep the Phorum alive, please consider a monthly gift.



×
×
  • Create New...