An Old School Catholic Message Board

Countdown To Entering Carmel

VeniJesuAmorMi

VeniJesuAmorMi

Praised be Jesus Christ! Now and forever. :)

It is only 34 days now until my entrance into Carmel. I am so thrilled and thankful! I thought I would make this thread to share thoughts and reflections, and also quotes from the Carmelite Saints and about Carmelite spirituality. Please pray for my faithfulness and perseverance in my vocation. I haven't decided if I am going to say which Carmel yet, but please share any questions and thoughts about Carmel if you would like. :)

To start, today is the memorial of Blessed Mary of The Angels OCD. She was born in Turin, Italy, in 1661, she died, after spending her whole life there, in 1717. In 1675 she entered the Discalced Carmelite Convent of St. Christina, and several times filled the offices of Prioress and Novice Mistress. She underwent continual spiritual trials, but was constant in her ardent love of God. She was outstandingly faithful to prayer and particularly devoted to St. Joseph, in whose honor a convent was founded through her good offices at Moncalieri.

Here is a good meditation from "The Way of Perfection.": Do you think anyone who really and truly loves God could love anything worthless? Of course not--things like money or worldly trinkets or pleasures or honors: they are not going to fight about things like that, or be envious over them! Why? Because all they bother about is pleasing their Beloved. They are dying for His love, so their whole lives are devoted to finding out how to please Him more. And as for concealing the fact--why, if it's genuine, love for God is impossible to hide! All you need to do is to look at St. Paul, or the Magdalen. One of them, St. Paul, only took three days to realize he was ill with love; the Magdalen knew the first day. And how well they understood it!

But there's this about it: there can be more, or less love. And the way to tell how strong it is, is this: if there is not much it will not be very obvious, but it will if there is a lot. But however much there is, the love of God will always show itself. How could such a strong, right, ever-increasing love ever be hidden.. a love that will admit no reason for not loving, a love based on the fact that it has been repaid with another love which is beyond all doubt because it has been openly proved by such great pain and suffering and blood- shed, and the loss of life itself so as not to leave the slightest doubt about its reality?

May God be pleased to give us love like that before He takes us from this life! What a wonderful thing it will be, when we die, to know we are going to be judged by the One we have loved above all else! We won't have to worry about being charged with our sins, and we won't be going to a foreign country, but home, because it belongs to the One we have loved so much, and Who loves us.

I am so thrilled and excited for you! The Carmelites will always hold the first place in my heart; I have a special love for this Order. Be assured of my prayers for you as you follow God's will! And please keep us in your prayers, as well!

How wonderful!  Do you have a list of things to take when you enter?  Is it L O N G ?  Praying for you as you try to be patient until your Entrance Day.

VeniJesuAmorMi

Thank you all so dearly for your prayers and kind words. I am happy that I can share my joy with you all! This vocation isn't just for me it is for so many others. This is certainly part of the beauty of this grace.

How wonderful!  Do you have a list of things to take when you enter?  Is it L O N G ?  Praying for you as you try to be patient until your Entrance Day.

About the list, it is one of the most simple I have seen or heard of. I had asked Reverend Mother when she had called me if what was on the list that came with the application was all that I needed and she had said everything else will be provided for. Here is the list:

A pair of soft black shoes

Garden boots

Snow boots

Underwear

Black knee-high stockings

Black or brown knee socks

A plain Rosary (brown, black, or white beads.)

All photo identification you may have

Optional to bring a few personal books such as the Holy Bible, the Imitation of Christ, and the works of Our Holy Mother Saint Teresa, Our Holy Father Saint John of the Cross and Saint Therese. It isn't necessary to bring books because they will be provided there but I plan on bringing my Bible. All the items make up my Christmas list and have been given to my parents. I told them I'll act surprised! :nun:

Indwelling Trinity

May God Grant you the grace of Holy Perseverence and Joy in his service even amidst trials. For to be a true Carmelite is to hang on the other side of the Cross with Jesus offering oneself with him to the Father for the salvation of souls especially those of priests.

Only grace and great love can accomplish that. I pray God may provide you with every grace you need. and if it does not happen all at once, remember, it takes a lifetime to make a true Carmelite!

Veni Jesu Amor Mi,

Praying hard for your remaining days here, and for all the graces you will need after you leap over the wall!

IT, in case you have missed her, IgnatiusOfLoyola has been looking for you.... and was going to try to send you a message. 

Julie de Sales

Thank you for the meditation! I have a question: which are your favourite Carmelite saints and why? I guess St Therese of Lisieux is among them (we all like her ;)) but maybe we could share about less known figures of this spirituality. For example, I heard of Venerable Mother Therese of St Augustin, daughter of the french king Louis XV. She lived in the XVII century and was elected prioress a number of times. Her last words were To paradise! Fast! At the great gallop!

VeniJesuAmorMi

Thank you for the meditation! I have a question: which are your favourite Carmelite saints and why? I guess St Therese of Lisieux is among them (we all like her ;)) but maybe we could share about less known figures of this spirituality. For example, I heard of Venerable Mother Therese of St Augustin, daughter of the french king Louis XV. She lived in the XVII century and was elected prioress a number of times. Her last words were To paradise! Fast! At the great gallop!

My favorite Carmelite saint is Our Blessed Mother. She has been there for me in everything since my conversion to the Catholic faith. I really didn't come from anything before than. I believed in God but that was the extent of it. She brought me to Jesus and the graces that I have received I just know came through Her. It is no wonder than that I have this Carmelite vocation since it is Her Order. I go to Her for everything. While I am familiar with the Carmelite saints and their writings that help me to understand the life of a Carmelite more I am not particularly devoted to just one. There are so many Blessed Carmelites that I am just learning about. Hear are a couple to start: :)

Blessed Mary of the Incarnation was born in Paris in 1566. When she was 16 she was married and had six children. In the midst of household duties and hardships she attained the heights of the mystical life. A good example then to those who are married and have children; that they also are called to the mystical life, not just those in the cloister. Under the influence of St. Teresa's writings she spared no efforts to introduce the Discalced Carmelites into France. She also had mystical contact with Saint Teresa. When her husband died she became a lay sister in Carmel taking the name Sister Mary of the Incarnation. She was professed at the Carmel of Amiens in 1615. They say she was esteemed by some of the greatest men of her time including Saint Frances de Sales. She was distinguished by her spirit of prayer and zeal for the propagation of the Catholic faith.

Blessed Josefa Naval Girbes OCDS was a Third Order Carmelite. She was born in Spain, on December 11, 1820. From her early years she learned to love the Blessed Virgin, who was venerated at the Dominican Friars Monastery near her home. Her mother died when she was thirteen. While praying to the Blessed Virgin at the Dominican Friars Monastery, Josefa was assured that Mary would never abandon her. At eighteen years of age, she choose Jesus as her only spouse, and on December 4, 1838, consecrated her virginity to Him forever; keeping her heart undivided. She made continual progress in her union with Christ and dedicated herself with all her strength, to answer the call to holiness and to the service of the Church and her neighbor. She was decribed as being simple and modest in her dress and behavior. Here is to quote,"Josefa was of medium height and build. Her skin was light and delicate, her face was oval. She had bright eyes that gave a sense of depth, but was very modest. She had deep brown hair that later became gray, and a soft caressing voice. She used to smile frequently, but was never seen laughing. Her step was moderate, and she used to dress in dark colors, wearing low shoes and a long veil. Her overall appearance was simple and modest." Even after her death, on February 24, 1893, (at the age of 73) her reputation kept increasing due to her life of holiness and works of charity. Clothed with the habit of the Third Order of Carmel, she was placed in a simple coffin. Her coffin was placed in a temporary acquired niche, and later moved it to find her definitive resting place in 1902. There, she remained, incorrupt, until her transfer to the parish, on October 20, 1946. Here is a quote from her, “My ideal is not to lengthen my life, but to sanctify my life."

I can just imagine the Carmelite saints there are (or hopefully are!), even if not know to us they are known in Heaven. The Carmelite is hidden, but the more she is hidden and the more she puts away herself, forgets herself, then the more Our Lord comes into her and is able to accomplish such beautiful work.

Edited by VeniJesuAmorMi

VeniJesuAmorMi

Here is the edit from the last post, but it wouldn't take. Maybe it will post now:

Blessed Mary of the Incarnation (the one with Saint Teresa drawing, and the black and white is Blessed Josefa Naval Girbes OCDS.)

Josepha_naval_Girbes.jpeg

marie_of_incarnation.jpg