An Old School Catholic Message Board

Questionable Catholic Identity Of Seton Home Study School

dells_of_bittersweet

I happen to think it quite good - certainly immensely better than the pc drivel that passes for most high school history texts.  (It's essentially a condensed version of Dr. Warren Carroll's works written for young readers. 

You know, rigor in a world history textbook is not about content. High school is sometimes the last formal education people get. At that level school is no longer about piling in facts, figures, events into a teenaged brain-- its about showing students how to be independent, critical thinkers.  A good textbook would train students to be skeptical of history, work with primary and secondary documents as much as possible, and construct an argument for or against the prevailing historical narrative using evidence. There's no space to do that in the narrative of this book. Its got a dogmatic "this is how it was" tone and sticks with spoon-feeding.

It's also written at a 5th grade reading level. I like to think I had a good vocabulary back in high school - I got a perfect score on that section of the SAT. But when I read what was assigned in my history class I always had to do it with a dictionary in my lap. I went to a nothing special public school.

I think the book is entertaining and easy to read. Which means its good for the beach.

If this book is the foundation of the world history curriculum in grades 9/10 a good teacher will have to supplement heavily.

It's very likely a Phatmass poo storm would have rained down upon you.

Only this time we get a slightly more pedantic poo flinging. ;)

Seton Home Study School curriculum is based on the Baltimore Catechism.
The Baltimore Catechism was the de facto standard Catholic school text in the United States from 1885 to the late 1960s.
My elementary education was based on the Baltimore Catechism as was my parents and my grand parents before them.
I don’t see anything wrong or bad with it.
My kids all aced there SAT’s, it was no accident
All my children where homeschooled, all when on to complete a college education of their choice.
The only think I see wrong here is: The OP appears to be unappreciative of love and devotion of her parents give their children to provide one on one teaching and special undivided attention in there upbringing…

we used seton homeschool for our 3 children, we did the best we could to raise our own.

the Baltimore catechism was good enough for our mom and dads, it was good enough for us too.

After all its only elementary education' the 4 r's reading, righting, rithmtic and religion

forgive me

With all due respect, you're taking what the OP says way too personally. Your last post is also passive aggressive. I honestly doubt that the OP is saying that anyone who uses the Baltimore Catechism is a terrible Catholic.

The OP has said nothing disrespectful about her parents. I imagine that the OP would say that her parents were doing their best in educating her and providing for her. That doesn't mean that their best is perfect. That's nothing against them, because only God is perfect. Edited by tinytherese

With all due respect, you're taking what the OP says way too personally. Your last post is also passive aggressive. I honestly doubt that the OP is saying that anyone who uses the Baltimore Catechism is a terrible Catholic.

The OP has said nothing disrespectful about her parents. I imagine that the OP would say that her parents were doing their best in educating her and providing for her. That doesn't mean that their best is perfect. That's nothing against them, because only God is perfect.

I didn’t mean to suggest that the OP had anything against the Baltimore Catechism.  I do however dislike the harsh criticism of the Seton program.

I'm disturbed that there are those on here who are extremely protective of Seton and or the Baltimore Catechism. Neither are evil, but they are not beyond criticism.

Just because there are those of us who don't like certain aspects about them doesn't mean that we are condemning you or those who wrote their materials to Hell. We are merely saying that these materials could be improved.

I could be wrong, but this might be a Catholic vs. Catholic Debate which is against the regulations of Phatmass.

Edited by tinytherese

I'm disturbed that there are those on here who are extremely protective of Seton and or the Baltimore Catechism. Neither are evil, but they are not beyond criticism.

Just because there are those of us who don't like certain aspects about them doesn't mean that we are condemning you or those who wrote their materials to Hell. We are merely saying that these materials could be improved.

I could be wrong, but this might be a Catholic vs. Catholic Debate which is against the regulations of Phatmass.

If they aren't beyond criticism, then it seems to follow that it's fair to debate the merit of that criticism, in which case I don't see any reason to be disturbed. 

If anybody's statements here are over the top, I'd say it's dells, because he/she keeps posting very pointed opinions in such a way that they are presented as objective facts....  Maybe it's just how he/she writes, because those opinions are quite valid if taken as opinions and by themselves don't seem extreme, just pointed.   In that light, IMO, other people are just responding in kind to Dell's criticism. 

I've found the whole thread interesting, fwiw, and hope it's not violating anything.

My issue is not that people are criticizing the Seton curriculum (I could offer criticisms of my own, albeit for different reasons).  

My issue is with Dells calling Seton "questionably Catholic," along with repeated accusations and insinuations that the people at Seton, as well as Anne Carroll, are somehow heretical or schismatic (when in fact they are not, but are quite orthodox).  I also found some of her other comments regarding Mrs. Carroll to be out of line.

Not liking Seton's material is a perfectly legitimate opinion (whether you agree with it or not), but falsely accusing the people behind it of being un-Catholic is wrong.

If defending them against such accusations disturbs you, too bad.

• 6 years later...
flowersofmary

I am currently 7 months pregnant with our first child and have been looking into Catholic homeschooling programs because my husband and I are united on the fact that we will not send our kids to public schools or even Catholic schools, which teach liberalism, modernism, and heresy.

The person who made the original post actually greatly encouraged me to use Seton Home Study, and I wanted to offer a conservative and traditional voice for those faithful Catholics who adhere to doctrine and breathe a sigh of relief to see Seton's denial of modernist secular culture.

Evolution is a heresy. It was condemned by the Church in her wisdom because it directly opposes Divine Revelation and the account of creation history in Genesis. It also teaches people that since we are constantly evolving, it is okay for morals also to change. This undermines the wisdom of two thousand years of Church teaching and basically says that the early saints, apostles, and Christians got it all wrong. But Jesus is eternal and never-changing or evolving, and since He made the Church, He cannot be wrong. If you want more details about how the scam of evolution entered into schools and into modern thinking even for Catholics, there is a great interview on the John Henry Weston show on YouTube with Hugh Owen. Here is the link: 

I am greatly encouraged to see that Seton does not use texts that were written after Vatican II. If you want more information about all of the radical changes to liturgy that Vatican II introduced to the Church, the incredibly corrupt Bishops and Cardinals behind these changes, and how all of that is linked to the horrific decline in Mass attendance and disbelief in the real presence of the Eucharist, check out Infiltration by Dr. Taylor Marshall. 

From what I can tell, Seton is traditionally oriented, meaning it is simply authentic Catholicism. It appears that many naysayers are in line with the nouveau theologie modernists, which, by the way, is considered the ultimate heresy of the Church. It is so upsetting that since Vatican II, so many people have been led astray from true faith by the lies, distortions, and alterations made to the liturgy as well as the compromises so many Catholic leaders have made with modern secular culture.

Doctrine cannot change. If Seton is promoting a return to orthodoxy in Catholic teaching, I am so encouraged to see this and excited to use the program.

I hope these resources are helpful to others. God bless. 

More than 240 primary schools in the UK have introduced [the] lessons as part of the All About Me sex education programme.”

“A teaching manual issued as part of the programme instructs children aged six to ten about ‘the rules of self-stimulation”

Public school can be very bad for children

LINK: https://www.thenewamerican.com/culture/education/item/33508-sick-schools-six-year-olds-to-be-given-compulsory-self-stimulation-lessons 

• 3 weeks later...
tinytherese
On 2/19/2020 at 5:36 PM, flowersofmary said:

I am currently 7 months pregnant with our first child and have been looking into Catholic homeschooling programs because my husband and I are united on the fact that we will not send our kids to public schools or even Catholic schools, which teach liberalism, modernism, and heresy.

The person who made the original post actually greatly encouraged me to use Seton Home Study, and I wanted to offer a conservative and traditional voice for those faithful Catholics who adhere to doctrine and breathe a sigh of relief to see Seton's denial of modernist secular culture.

Evolution is a heresy. It was condemned by the Church in her wisdom because it directly opposes Divine Revelation and the account of creation history in Genesis. It also teaches people that since we are constantly evolving, it is okay for morals also to change. This undermines the wisdom of two thousand years of Church teaching and basically says that the early saints, apostles, and Christians got it all wrong. But Jesus is eternal and never-changing or evolving, and since He made the Church, He cannot be wrong. If you want more details about how the scam of evolution entered into schools and into modern thinking even for Catholics, there is a great interview on the John Henry Weston show on YouTube with Hugh Owen. Here is the link: 

I am greatly encouraged to see that Seton does not use texts that were written after Vatican II. If you want more information about all of the radical changes to liturgy that Vatican II introduced to the Church, the incredibly corrupt Bishops and Cardinals behind these changes, and how all of that is linked to the horrific decline in Mass attendance and disbelief in the real presence of the Eucharist, check out Infiltration by Dr. Taylor Marshall. 

From what I can tell, Seton is traditionally oriented, meaning it is simply authentic Catholicism. It appears that many naysayers are in line with the nouveau theologie modernists, which, by the way, is considered the ultimate heresy of the Church. It is so upsetting that since Vatican II, so many people have been led astray from true faith by the lies, distortions, and alterations made to the liturgy as well as the compromises so many Catholic leaders have made with modern secular culture.

Doctrine cannot change. If Seton is promoting a return to orthodoxy in Catholic teaching, I am so encouraged to see this and excited to use the program.

I hope these resources are helpful to others. God bless. 

Catholics are permitted to believe in evolution without cutting God out of creation. Pope Pius XII taught this in the 50s, before Vatican II even happened.

https://www.catholic.com/tract/adam-eve-and-evolution

Vatican II is not the problem. The problem is how it's been implemented by certain individuals. 

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/the-unfinished-business-of-vatican-ii

https://www.catholic.com/video/defending-vatican-ii 

• 5 months later...

At this point, I believe it's sinful to send your kids to public school.  I realize in California there's a new law that says you can't homeschool unless you're grandfathered in...  How terrible...  For those in CA, time to move.  Better to find a low-paying job and live in poverty somewhere else than to keep your high-paying job in CA and keep your kids in school.

I don't trust the "catechetical" materials generally used in the Episcopal Church and am suspicious of just handing my kids over to people from "my tradition" to be taught God knows what. Our priest is good, but a lot of clergy in my denomination are thoroughgoing heretics (yeah I know you think we all are, but I mean heavy duty denial of basic doctrines of Mr. Lewis' Mere Christianity). 

Catholics have no idea how good they have it in terms of faith formation. My Catholic childhood taught me that God is Triune, Christ is fully divine and human, the Bible is the Word of God, and the Holy Spirit resides in the baptized Christian soul. My husband grew up in a church that claimed to be Trinitarian, but accidentally taught a kind of modalism regarding the Godhead, and that we as men and women are "trinities" (body, soul, and spirit vs the orthodox Christian understanding that we are a body and a spiritual soul) based on an overly literal reading of St Paul and being completely divorced from Church history.

I, a gay apostate Protestant heretic, know of no better tool for transmitting basic truths of the Christian faith to children than the Baltimore catechism; having said that, if you are using this or any other book exclusively to carry out the work of evangelizing/catechizing your children, you are doing them a radical disservice.