An Old School Catholic Message Board

Convents With The Latin Mass

Ancilla Domini

Sister Leticia

Nada - it wasn't immediately obvious from the website. However, when I saw the site I looked at the history page - which was headed by a quote from Archbishop Lefebvre. Also, there was no "history" on that page - no, how, who, why... and I'm always a bit suspicious of any group which doesn't say up-front how it came to be. I was going to dig around a bit more, but Beatitude beat me to it!

Does anyone know if the Carmel in Ada Parnell, MI has the Latin Mass?  I'm pretty sure that they chant the Liturgical Office in Latin but was unaware if the Mass was in Latin.  I think the Carmelites in Traverese City switched over to Latin (if I'm not mistaken).  I was also wondering how large/small their community is. 

8 hours ago, ArenaNaheim said:

Does anyone know if the Carmel in Ada Parnell, MI has the Latin Mass?  I'm pretty sure that they chant the Liturgical Office in Latin but was unaware if the Mass was in Latin.  I think the Carmelites in Traverese City switched over to Latin (if I'm not mistaken).  I was also wondering how large/small their community is. 

As far as I know, they do not (possibly never or very rarely) have the Traditional Mass/Extraordinary Form, but use Latin in the Ordinary Form a lot (according to here on Sundays it is "Hybrid" (which they define as the Ordinary Form with Latin & the vernacular) http://www.latinliturgy.com/id6.htm

Traverse City has mostly the Ordinary Form as well, but it looks like they use a lot more Latin, and have the full (new) Divine Office (Liturgia Horarium, not pre-VII office) in Latin as well, https://carmeloftraversecity.org/liturgy-parent/foretaste-of-heaven-sacred-liturgy/  It says some Mondays they have the Extraordinary Form though, https://carmeloftraversecity.org/liturgy-parent/mass-schedule-and-other-events/

Besides the JMJ Carmels (Valparaiso, Elysburg & Kensington) Littleton has the majority of their Masses in the Extraordinary Form now. It says here on Mondays, http://carmelites.denverparish.com  but this is more up to date, Mon - Sat. 6:30 am http://www.olmcfssp.org/cms/

edit to above Mon - Fri 6:30 am

I was also wondering how large/small their community is. 

this site updates their numbers each year in the Fall, http://www.religiousministries.com/  It says 4 solemn professed and one in formation

16 hours ago, CountrySteve21 said:

If they have not been mentioned yet, the Franciscans of the Immaculate would have it. I know the Friars do. 

Yes they do but it varies from place to place.  When I visited the Sisters in Massachusetts they attended both forms of the mass.  They do pray all eight hours of the Divine Office in Latin though which was great.

CountrySteve21
3 hours ago, Kateri89 said:

Yes they do but it varies from place to place.  When I visited the Sisters in Massachusetts they attended both forms of the mass.  They do pray all eight hours of the Divine Office in Latin though which was great.

So they use the E.F. Breviary then? I wonder if the Friars do too?

Edited by CountrySteve21

19 hours ago, CountrySteve21 said:

So they use the E.F. Breviary then? I wonder if the Friars do too?

The Breviarium Romanum has nine hours, whereas the Liturgia Horarum (new office) has eight (no Prime) - so if you hear of a community praying all eight hours of the office, it's the new one. The Liturgia Horarum is originally in Latin, and then translated to the vernacular for the various countries (there are two English editions, one for UK, etc. the other USA, Canada, etc.)

Regarding the Friars and what version of the office they use, this was part of the whole reason for the difficulties in their Institute over the past several years. Some of them used the old Seraphic (Franciscan, many orders had their own versions) breviary, some the Liturgia Horarum. You can read/post/ask about these difficulties in other old threads here or online elsewhere (rather than this thread turning into a discussion on that). I'm not sure if there are still FI Friars using the old breviary, probably in Italy, but I believe the main part of the Institute has decided to use the new one - probably the same for the Sisters as well. 

The Poor Clares of the Immaculate however are another story, as they are not a part of the Institute of the Franciscans of the Immaculate. Each monastery of Poor Clares of the Immaculate is autonomous. The one is Acquapendente prays all nine hours of the Seraphic Breviary, although they only have the Traditional Mass when it is available. They would like to have it always, as of a few years ago at least. The Abbess speaks English, although a young woman needs to be fairly fluent in Italian before entering there.

p.s. it is written here that the Poor Clares of the Immaculate are a part of a single family of the Franciscans of the Immaculate with the Friars and Sisters, however the Abbess in Acquapendente informed me that actually that is not correct. They share in their spirituality and charism, but they are not a part of the Institute, and each monastery remains autonomous and follows the Rule and Constitutions of the Poor Clares - specifically they are Urbanist Poor Clares. Each monastery is juridically directly under the Holy See - which is similar to the Carmels under the 1990 Constitutions.

• 2 years later...

I was a postulant at Valley of Our Lady; they do not have the Traditional Latin Mass as they rely on diocesan priests to say their mass. So, they get what they get. They do, however, chant the office and the propers for the Mass in Latin. Sometimes they have the NO in latin.