An Old School Catholic Message Board

Prayers Recited While Donning A Nun's Habit

Swami Mommy

I am interested in learning what prayers are recited as each piece of a nun's full habit is put on. I would also like to know the symbolism behind each habit piece.

Ancilla Domini

The different habits have different symbolisms, unique to the order.

The habit who's symbolism I happen to know off the top of my head is the Dominican Habit.

The Dominican habit consists of a white tunic, a scapular, a rosary, and a leather belt. The tunic is a long habit reaching to the ankles, with very long sleeves. The Scapular is a long piece of white cloth, with a hole in the middle. It is placed over the head, and hangs down the front and back of the tunic, to about 6 inches from the bottom.

At the day of  a novice's reception of the habit, the Mother Superior addresses her for the first time by her religious name, and piece by piece clothes her in her Dominican Habit, which she will proudly wear for the rest of her life. As she presents each garment, the Mother Superior says: “Receive this tunic, emblem of innocence…Receive this scapular, Mary’s maternal pledge of protection…Receive this veil, a sign of humility…Receive this rosary, emblem of prayer by which your soul is united to God…”

I'm not sure what prayers one says when donning the habit, but when the habit is give to the novice, the Superior explains their symbolism. This post is mainly an answer to the second sentence of your question.

Hopes this helps!

– Cilla

Edited by Ancilla Domini

graciandelamadrededios

PRAYERS OF THE DISCALCED CARMELITE NUNS

O my God, I wake on this break of Day to think of Thee, to love Thee and to serve Thee.  Behold me, O my God, Thy holy will shall be mine, I will observe it with all my heart the whole of this day.    

WHILE DRESSING     

Lord, prepare my soul interiorly while I prepare my body to go to Choir.  Clothe me, O my God, with the fervor of Thy Divine Spirit and with the precious gifts of Thy grace

PUTTING ON THE HABIT                                    

Clothe me, O my God, with Thy holy religious practices so that I may appear before Thee such as our habit and profession require.                                       

THE GIRDLE                                                           

Unite me to Thee, O my God in an     intimate union and attach me to Thee in the bonds of charity the links of which may never break   

THE TOQUE                                                                                  

Conside, O my soul, the whiteness of this toque represents the purity of conscience you should have in order to please God.  O Lord, grant me this grace, to die rather than to defile my soul by any sin. Purify it in Thy Precious Blood and grant me perfect contrition for my sins.       

THE VEIL                                                                                                        

This veil should teach me, Lord, that I should die to the world and to myself so as to live no longer but for Thee.  Grant me, therefore, the grace that nothing of this miserable life may remain in me, which prevents my union with Thee. 

THE SCAPULAR                                                                                                                       

Lord, grant me the grace to carry with joy and love Thy yoke and burden all the days of my life.

THE MANTLE

O spotless Lamb of God, adorn Me with the purity with which all those are adorned who follow Thee.

MORNING PRAYER

Live, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, now and at each hour! Into the wounds of Jesus and in the sweet hearts of Mary and Joseph I commend myself.  O my God, I offer Thee all the movements, my life, my work and my death.  In the name of Jesus and in the hearts of Mary and Saint Joseph I wish this day to commence, offer and terminate everything.  Lord I unite myself to all the Holy Communions, to all the holy Sacrifices of the Mass, to all the good works, and to all the indulgences of the Catholic Church in which I wish to participate and apply to the souls in Purgatory.

GOING OUT OF THE CELL

Do me the favor, my Lord and my God, that my heart remain in solitude, never losing Thy divine presence, but that I may ever remain united to Thee, my Way, my Truth and my Life.  All for Jesus and Mary! Judge me not, O my God according to the purity of Thy Eternal Son, but consult rather Thy mercy in my judgment and place the blood and death of Jesus Christ between Thee and Thy poor creature. Amen, sweet Jesus, Amen.

Source:

Carmel of St. Joseph

Seattle, Washington, USA

***Important Note - Not all Discalced Carmelite Nuns say these prayers nowadays sinc each community has the power to create their own custom books / house statutues / communit directory.

Edited by graciandelamadrededios

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful research!  The prayers listed that the Discalced Carmelite nuns recite are so, so beautiful and inspirational.  And it's been very helpful to learn what the different pieces of the habit symbolize.  I am a lay person but in retirement after I leave government employment I would like to wear a 'habit' of sorts--a long, midcalf gored skirt (fullness at the bottom and fitted over the hips) and a plain overtop like a tailored jacket in the same color with a mandarin color and a placket front (the buttons hidden except for the top covered button) and an 18 inch long pendant with some sort of religious icon on it.  I'm not sure yet what color I will choose, although I like the idea of a deep blue violet (the color of the third eye chakra and the seat of intuitive wisdom) or black.  Reciting a prayer of recollection with each item I put on as a way of consecrating my intentions for the day would be a wonderful practice to adopt.  The prayers listed above made my heart feel tender and humble and surrendered, and I can see how they would inspire me to keep my awareness uplifted throughout the day.  It would be meaningful to me to write my own, I think, just as I have written my own morning and evening prayers to offer my day to God.

and an 18 inch long pendant with some sort of religious icon on it.  I'm not sure yet what color I will choose, although I like the idea of a deep blue violet (the color of the third eye chakra and the seat of intuitive wisdom) or black. 

DISCLAIMER:  I DON'T MEAN TO BE RUDE OR ANYTHING OF THE SORT

Okay, is it me or........ I'm having trouble reconciling the donning and praying for each item of a religious habit to the donning of a New Age icon.  Vowed religious vs. New Ageers?

Help me out here, please!

brandelynmarie

She's Hindu ;) & is looking to incorporate prayers of her faith into donning her clothes....

At least I think that is the intention, please correct me if I'm wrong :blush:

Edited by brandelynmarie

Chummy Commoner, Yes, I am Hindu and to be honest, I would have a pendant with the Om symbol on it (I didn't want to jar anyone with a different religious perspective who sees this as a strictly Catholic forum, though I am listed as Hindu under my avatar name). Regardless of my demonination, I believe that living a life with intention, gratitude, humility, surrender, and trust in God's presence in my life is a worthy endeavor. I have great respect for nuns, sisters, monks and priests of the Catholic faith (as well as Hindu swamis and Buddhist monks) who make that wholehearted commitment in their lives, and had I not married I could easily see myself immersed in a monastic setting. I have a strong contemplative nature and prefer meditation, prayer and selfless service over more secular pursuits of conventional pleasures. I always wondered what consecratory prayers were used when wearing a nun's habit because I believe the practice to be so beautiful and meaningful if done with an open heart and full focus and intent. I'm sorry if my comments offended you because I was not clear in my declaring my own background. I am in no way a "New Age" person--I'm 62 and well past that era!!! Thank you to all who answered my question so willingly. As I enter my 'forest-dweller' years of retirement, I hope to more fully embrace my spiritual life without distraction and make it the centering focus of my days. And, from my own journey, I have come to realize and accept that no one spiritual tradition (and here I'm thinking of institutional religion) is a 'one size fits all'. What speaks to one heart may not resonate with another's, and there are as many ways to God as there are people who yearn for Him. There is much that is beautiful and good and true and sacred in any tradition that seeks to merge with the Divine, and I see no problem with culling the best of each to inform and inspire my own spiritual devlopment. Much love, Pam (Sundari)

Deusluxmea, I own the series Brides of Christ on DVD and LOVE it! I must have watched it at least six times already. Ialso love The Nun Story with Audrey Hepburn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...
IsaBitterSea
On 1/13/2014 at 9:16 PM, graciandelamadrededios said:

O my God, I wake on this break of Day to think of Thee, to love Thee and to serve Thee.  Behold me, O my God, Thy holy will shall be mine, I will observe it with all my heart the whole of this day.    

WHILE DRESSING     

Lord, prepare my soul interiorly while I prepare my body to go to Choir.  Clothe me, O my God, with the fervor of Thy Divine Spirit and with the precious gifts of Thy grace

PUTTING ON THE HABIT                                    

Clothe me, O my God, with Thy holy religious practices so that I may appear before Thee such as our habit and profession require.                                       

THE GIRDLE                                                           

Unite me to Thee, O my God in an     intimate union and attach me to Thee in the bonds of charity the links of which may never break   

THE TOQUE                                                                                  

Conside, O my soul, the whiteness of this toque represents the purity of conscience you should have in order to please God.  O Lord, grant me this grace, to die rather than to defile my soul by any sin. Purify it in Thy Precious Blood and grant me perfect contrition for my sins.       

THE VEIL                                                                                                        

This veil should teach me, Lord, that I should die to the world and to myself so as to live no longer but for Thee.  Grant me, therefore, the grace that nothing of this miserable life may remain in me, which prevents my union with Thee. 

THE SCAPULAR                                                                                                                       

Lord, grant me the grace to carry with joy and love Thy yoke and burden all the days of my life.

THE MANTLE

O spotless Lamb of God, adorn Me with the purity with which all those are adorned who follow Thee.

MORNING PRAYER

Live, Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, now and at each hour! Into the wounds of Jesus and in the sweet hearts of Mary and Joseph I commend myself.  O my God, I offer Thee all the movements, my life, my work and my death.  In the name of Jesus and in the hearts of Mary and Saint Joseph I wish this day to commence, offer and terminate everything.  Lord I unite myself to all the Holy Communions, to all the holy Sacrifices of the Mass, to all the good works, and to all the indulgences of the Catholic Church in which I wish to participate and apply to the souls in Purgatory.

GOING OUT OF THE CELL

Do me the favor, my Lord and my God, that my heart remain in solitude, never losing Thy divine presence, but that I may ever remain united to Thee, my Way, my Truth and my Life.  All for Jesus and Mary! Judge me not, O my God according to the purity of Thy Eternal Son, but consult rather Thy mercy in my judgment and place the blood and death of Jesus Christ between Thee and Thy poor creature. Amen, sweet Jesus, Amen.

Source:

Carmel of St. Joseph

Seattle, Washington, USA

***Important Note - Not all Discalced Carmelite Nuns say these prayers nowadays sinc each community has the power to create their own custom books / house statutues / communit directory.

I know this is an old post, but are their prayers said when undressing at the end of the day?

On 1/13/2014 at 6:16 PM, graciandelamadrededios said:

WHILE DRESSING     

PUTTING ON THE HABIT                                    

THE GIRDLE                                                           

THE TOQUE                                                                                  

THE VEIL                                                                                                        

THE SCAPULAR                                                                                                                       

THE MANTLE

MORNING PRAYER

GOING OUT OF THE CELL

Source:

Carmel of St. Joseph

Seattle, Washington, USA

I l

I love not to far North from St.Joseph Monastery! I have a photo of a nun doing a craft while wasting a Seattle Seahawks apron on!! I thought that was so cool!!

Lily May Gath

Habit Prayers - when putting on the Habit each morning - Dominican

Tunic: Clothe me, O Lord, with the nuptial robe of charity, that pure and undefiled I may go before Thy judgment seat.

Belt: O my divine Lord, gird me with the girdle of purity, that I may be crowned with Thee in paradise.

Cross: O Lord Jesus Christ, grant me the grace to take up my cross and follow Thee.

Scapular: O Lord, Jesus Christ who was obedient even unto the death of the Cross, give me the spirit of true religious Obedience.

Cape: Create a clean heart within me, O Lord, and renew a right spirit within me.

Cap: Place Thyself, O Lord, as a seal upon my forehead, that I may be among the number who follow the Lamb.

Veil: O Divine Lord, place upon my forehead the veil of salvation, and give me power over my enemies, the world, the flesh, and the devil. O Mother of Mercy, and my Holy Father, Saint Dominic, protect me now and at the hour of my death, Amen.

Rite of Reception to the Habit - Dominican

Superior: Sister, what do you desire?

Postulants: The mercy of God and yours and to be received to the Holy Habit of Saint Dominic.

Tunic: Receive this white robe, the emblem of innocence. May you preserve it unsullied that you may deserve to be clothed in white in the Kingdom of God.

Belt: Receive this belt, emblem of purity with which the holy angels girded the blessed Saint Thomas, “Blessed are the clean of heart, for they shall see God.”

Rosary: Receive this rosary, presented by the Blessed Virgin to Saint Dominic; the emblem of prayer by which your soul will be united to God.

Scapular: Receive this scapular, the most distinguished part of the Dominican Habit; the maternal pledge of protection of the Blessed Mother of God to the children of Saint Dominic.

Veil: Receive this veil, the emblem of humility, the cornerstone of the spiritual edifice.

Mantle: Receive this black mantle, the emblem of penance and mortification, by which you are to be crucified to the world, and the world to you.

Edited by Lily May Gath