An Old School Catholic Message Board

Random Vocation Conversation

ThereseMaria

• 3 weeks later...

Um... I am chickening out of the meeting. It just doesn't feel right.

Prior to the intial meeting you do feel mixed emotions, and anxiety. But once you've done it you'll feel more sure about whether it's right or not. You won't kick yourself and instead you'll be glad you went, even if it then goes nowhere much else. If you decide not to go though I'd make sure you let the sister know, and in good time.

I just read something about Benedictines to discern a particular community, and I know I don't like the community of Sr. Cathy. I just don't want to waste her time.

Their ministry isn't what I would be good at, and it wouldn't fulfill my gifts God has given me. I think I might just sit back and pra right now and not actually go and talk to communities.

I just read something about Benedictines to discern a particular community, and I know I don't like the community of Sr. Cathy. I just don't want to waste her time.

Their ministry isn't what I would be good at, and it wouldn't fulfill my gifts God has given me. I think I might just sit back and pra right now and not actually go and talk to communities.

I hate to be that person, but -  consider going anyway? All these experiences add up so valuably, the positive, the negative, the ones we think we're not going to get anything out of, the ones with people we think we don't like... Maybe it's just me being in a really 'try everything!' phase, but I think you'd be the richer for it.

I have already sent the email saying I am not able to go and I am sorry. Now I feel a little weight off my back. (I wasn't telling my parents and I was meeting with her at my school.)

TheresaThoma

Random thought:

I think I have posted about this in the past but the more I think about it the more I want others to know. If you are discerning a religious vocation consider doing a year of service where you live in community. I have learned so much about myself living in community. Its really forced me to grow and I'm so thankful that I am going through this now while still discerning. It has also shown me strengths and passions that I didn't know I had. 

For those of you with student loans if you go with an organization that partners with AmeriCorps you can get around $5,500 dollars to use for further schooling or to pay off loans.

The Catholic Volunteer Network would be a good place to start if you are interested in this. 

You know, TT, I never thought about using the AmeriCorps $$$ as a way of paying off at least part of the student loans prior to entrance.... REALLY GOOD IDEA!!!!!

I have a good friend who is currently an OFM Franciscan novice.  He spent a year with the Franciscan Friars serving at one of the Calfornia missions, and he said it was the best prepartion for entering and 'getting real' with what it was like to live with the friars day-in-day-out.  Because... you really learn what it is like to be in community in general AND in THAT community with THOSE people.  I think it is only human that when the sisters or friars know there is a visitor among them, they are especially determined to live their vocations to the fullest... but no one can keep up a 'special behavior for the visitors' that long.... you see what it would REALLY like to be part of the community that way.  They paid for his insurance and room & board, and he got a stipend of $100 per month.   (I don't know if something like that could be combined with the AmeriCorps $$ but I bet it could be if they got 'approved' as a site....)   

I think LittleSister mentioned at one point that sometimes they let women who are discerning work in their homes for pay so they can pay off the loans.  Talk about everyone benefitting....

I have already sent the email saying I am not able to go and I am sorry. Now I feel a little weight off my back. (I wasn't telling my parents and I was meeting with her at my school.)

Ok, fair enough. :)

ChristinaTherese

Random thought:

I think I have posted about this in the past but the more I think about it the more I want others to know. If you are discerning a religious vocation consider doing a year of service where you live in community. I have learned so much about myself living in community. Its really forced me to grow and I'm so thankful that I am going through this now while still discerning. It has also shown me strengths and passions that I didn't know I had. 

For those of you with student loans if you go with an organization that partners with AmeriCorps you can get around $5,500 dollars to use for further schooling or to pay off loans.

The Catholic Volunteer Network would be a good place to start if you are interested in this. 

I'm seriously considering that for after I graduate next June (2015). (Unless my honors project kills me first. (Prayers for my class are appreciated. It's kind of stressful that we need to have proposals and at least one reader to turn in in two weeks. Kind of really stressful.))

OnlySunshine

Random thought:

This is something I seriously considered before I was accepted to attend the university I am enrolled at now.  I strongly encourage anyone with an interest in volunteer work to consider either LAMP in NYC or Christ in the City in Denver, CO.  I've heard nothing but good things about both programs.  I was in the application process with LAMP when I got accepted for school so I had to back out because my degree is something that I really want to complete before I turn 35 in less than 5 years!  I also had a friend (who is now a postulant with the FSI) who volunteered with CiC for a few months and LOVED it.  The great thing is that, during my search for programs, I found that several of them are looking for professionals so it is something I may consider again when I graduate.  :)

domenica_therese

Random thought:

Teaching Totus Tuus is also really good for these purposes.