An Old School Catholic Message Board

Random Vocation Conversation

ThereseMaria

TheresaThoma

AL: I'm pretty sure there are some religious community service sites with AmeriCorps I would have to look at the list though to see which ones. As far as the money side of things, I get room, board, health insurance and a VERY generous stipend. On top of that I get the AmeriCorps award. So it is a really good deal. In fact I will be completely debt free at the end of this year of service.

CT: Do it! Nobody in my program has said that they regretted doing it. 

Marigold: Yup! I'm excited!

Yup!  And as a person who used to run a college job and internship listing web-based 'board' for job listings, if a community was open to getting 'certified' I would think they almost definitely could get the AmeriCorps money for a worker.  It's not that hard to qualify, unless things have changed.   

I would think that a situation with room, board, a reasonable stipnd, health ensurance and the ending AmericCorps grant (for past or future schooling) would be totally do-able.  I wonder if anyone has ever really sat down and set this up as an option to present to potential discerners trying to get their bills paid off.... Hmmmmm..... because that stipend could be used to pay of some of the non-college debt.... if someone were open to living frugally.   Hmmmmmmmm.

Hmmmmm... yup, faith-based SERVICE works.... serving the poor, etc. is just fine...working in a Church sponsored ministry mostly would work....

http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-state-and-national

What wouldn't be possible is a job in direct ministry or religious instruction (so you can't teach religion or build a church, for example): 

(Among the things that are prohibited....)

"Engaging in religious instruction, conducting worship services, providing instruction as part of a 
program that includes mandatory religious instruction or worship, constructing or operating facilities devoted to religious instruction or worship, maintaining facilities primarily or inherently devoted to religious instruction or worship, or engaging in any form of religious proselytization"  

http://www.nationalservice.gov/sites/default/files/documents/acprohibited_activities.pdf

But yes, I bet an AmeriCorps year serving with a religious community (or other service op) COULD be a good solution for a lot of people!

Edited by AnneLine

TheresaThoma

The stipend is a big help and honestly most of my monthly stipend just goes into savings. I'm hoping by the time I am done to have my debts paid off and some savings built up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
TheresaThoma

Ok since I kind of killed this thread I figure I should ressurect it.

I don't want to say too much on here right now but I could really use some prayers for my discernment. I think things are going to start progressing with my discernment here soon. Though I think right now the Holy Spirit is asking me to take some "desert" time. Some time to retreat and pray.

petitpèlerin

Ok since I kind of killed this thread I figure I should ressurect it.

I don't want to say too much on here right now but I could really use some prayers for my discernment. I think things are going to start progressing with my discernment here soon. Though I think right now the Holy Spirit is asking me to take some "desert" time. Some time to retreat and pray.

That's good news. You've got my prayers. Pray for me, too, right now is a time for me to wait and listen. PM me if you want to talk about anything.

MargaretTeresa

I'm praying for you, TT. Pray for me too. My religious life discernment has been resurrected.  :w00t:

ChristinaTherese

News: I'm going to visit Emma's old community on my way to Spain. I just need to find out when and if I need to find a way to deal with a few extra days in the middle.... (I mean, I could visit my brother. I'll ask him after he gets home from Mass and calls me. I might have misled him by saying that it had something to do with him acting as a forwarding address while my location is varied or unknown... which it totally does, but I want to ask for more than that.)

ChristinaTherese

I just talked to my brother, and I can go visit him for the two days I'll have in between. And we can go to NYC for a day and enjoy before I fly out in the evening. (In the evening because basically all trans-Atlantic flights are red-eyes, and I'm going to Madrid.) I think it's liable to cost all of the money that I had extra and wanted to use to visit Rome... but oh well. I also want to visit nuns, and that's more pertinent and I guess it's more worth my money.

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend I drove 8 hours by train (twice, that means together 16 h) just to stay two days. And it's a great community. There are some things which I didn't expect (e. g. the choir sounds rather weak) but I think they could be my future. Everything is so new and unfamiliar still. Oh, after such a long time of searching and waiting. I can't believe it - can this be true?

Well I think I shall go for a longer visit and then we'll see.

MargaretTeresa

Less than three weeks until a week long retreat with the FSP in NOLA. So excited! :)  :nun2:

It's always exciting for me to guess and research which community is meant by the various acronyms here on phatmass :hehe2: