An Old School Catholic Message Board

Seclusion

nikita92

Greetings! I have some questions regarding going into "seclusion" prior to taking first vows. What is the purpose (for those that might not be aware of it) and what takes place/expectations or just becoming comfortable and open one's self and being receptive to our inner voice.. Our Lord.. and where does it usually take place I.e. Inside or outside of the monastery/convent grounds/property and how long does it last for, and is it a requirement/standard practice before doing so? What sort of communities is this standard protocol for? (Obviously monastic/contemplative is) I know about St. Therese of Lisieux's experiance during her's. For those of you who did experiance "seclusion" what if any insight would you care to offer/share (if any) on this important step. If this topic has been discussed in past posts I am unaware of it, nor did I research it to find out. I figure since there are always new members and or lurkers.. "Every thing old is new again"and it wouldn't hurt to touch on it again. Thank you and bless you all ;)

My friend is in seclusion right now as she prepares for first vows.  Basically, in her order (and I believe in most other orders), it's like another 6 months of canonical novitiate where you are cloistered in the convent.  Her order is active but she won't be involved in any active apostolate until after her first vows in July.  She is intensively studying the vows and constitutions of the order and in prayer most of the time.  Right before she makes vows, she will go on a week-long retreat with a priest who will give spiritual direction and conferences to prepare her.  First vows will take place on July 2nd, 2014, God-willing!  I'm trying to get some money together to attend but I'm not sure if that will be possible since money is tight and I might have to take classes this summer.  I hope this helps answer your question.

I can't speak about 'seclusion', in fact this is the first time I have heard the term.

As a once cloistered nun we always had a period of 'retirement' (same thing by a different name I think) before any major change in our status.

This was two weeks before Clothing (0ne of which was deep retreat) and one month before temporary vows, and three months before final vows.

The retirement was that we did minimal common work, using the time for an in depth study of our rule and constitutions (prior to first vows) and again with a deep study of the vows before final profession. We ate with the others in refectory and went to recreation, except in the final eight days of deep retreat when we ate separately and didn't attend rec.

It was to permit more prayer time and free us from daily concerns and occupation so we devoted the time to study. We also had a thrice weekly conference with our NM, which swapped to a daily conference in deep retreat.

So for us, more prayer, reflection, study and guidance.