An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

To love means loving the unlovable.

To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.

Faith means believing the unbelievable.

Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless
(G.K. Chesterton)

A sense of humour is a gift from God.

Laughter unites us.

Funny things help us get through the humdrum of life.  Without humor this would be a lot harder.

http://epicpew.com/good-clean-catholic-jokes/

"A Jesuit, a Dominican, and a Franciscan were walking along an old road, debating the greatness of their orders. Suddenly, an apparition of the Holy Family appeared in front of them, with Jesus in a manger and Mary and Joseph praying over him. The Franciscan fell on his face, overcome with awe at the sight of God born in such poverty. The Dominican fell to his knees, adoring the beautiful reflection of the Trinity and the Holy Family. The Jesuit walked up to Joseph, put his arm around his shoulder, and said, “So, have you thought about where to send him to school?”

http://epicpew.com/good-clean-catholic-jokes/

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Today's Saint Quote

ST VINCENT DE PAUL SOCIETY

Vincent's Quote of the Day

Apr 01, 2017

God has riches in abundance; until now, you have lacked nothing; why are you fearful for the future? (VII:171).

Daily Reflection

Apr 01, 2017

“Your health is a gift of God; use it therefore with pleasure and joy for this life in the service of the poor.”
– St. Louise de Marillac

COURAGE or FORTITUDE (Strength of Soul)

Daily Reflection - St Vincent de Paul Society

Apr 06, 2017

“Condescension in evil or dangerous matters is not a virtue; it is a weakness and a disorder.”
– St. Vincent de Paul

– Be present, Lord, when my desire to be thought well of tempts me to take the easy way out and not challenge what I know is a wrong course of action. Give me the courage to do what is right.

Today's Saint Quote

AN UNEXPECTED SAINT

http://catholicexchange.com/st-mary-egypt-unexpected-saint?mc_cid=318781627e&mc_eid=419cf29043

Excerpts only: "For things are often not what they seem. A person who seems to us to be a great sinner may, in fact, be awash in the holy grace of forgiveness through repentance.

This was the case with Mary of Egypt. She seemed to be still a great sinner, but in truth, her glorification by grace, by the life of God, had already begun. She went immediately after her eyes were opened to the holy mystery of repentance, was absolved of her sins, and received holy communion. This is the proper, ordinary, and churchly way to begin again the life in Christ after we have sinned. When we fall, we get up again."

....."Here is a woman who defies all of our churchly expectations. Living apart from church services, even apart from frequent reception of holy communion, and yet living a life somehow filled with grace and faith. I do not recommend that we all imitate Mary of Egypt in her way of life. St. John Climacus (who we remembered on the Fourth Sunday of the Great Fast), warns us, after all, that the avoidance of church services is a sure sign of the deadening of the soul.

But I think we can hold up Mary as demonstration that God can and does act as he will. He is not confined by us or by our expectations.

We do not limit his grace."

FROM SOCRATES

"The greatest way to live with honour in this world, is to be what we pretend to be"

"He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature"

"Death may well be the greatest of all human blessings"

"To know is to know that you know nothing.  That is the meaning of true knowledge"

"I decided that it was not wisdom that enabled poets to write their poetry,

but a kind of instinct or inspiration such as you find in seers and prophets

who deliver all their sublime messages

without knowing in the least what they mean"

Socrates

Edited by BarbaraTherese

"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine

that I might wet my mind

and say something clever"

Aristophanes

Edited by BarbaraTherese

The Donkey
When fishes flew and forests walked
  And figs grew upon thorn,
  Some moment when the moon was blood
  Then surely I was born.

With monstrous head and sickening cry
  And ears like errant wings,
  The devil’s walking parody
  On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
  Of ancient crooked will;
  Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
  I keep my secret still.

Fools! For I also had my hour;
  One far fierce hour and sweet:
  There was a shout about my ears,
  And palms before my feet.
G.K. Chesterton

Today's Saint Quote

ASK A CARMELITE SISTER

LONELINESS

http://www.integratedcatholiclife.org/2012/04/ask-a-carmelite-a-lonely-faith-walk/

Q: Why does my faith walk seem so lonely to me at times?  

Excerpts only (read full text on above link):

We believe in God and in His revelation, His revealed truths, and because we believe Him, we have faith in Him and in what He says. We are secure in following His lead. Carmelite spirituality, especially the writings of St. John of the Cross, describes a night of faith during what he calls the dark night of the soul. Those who are serious in their spiritual journey will come to this point. It is then that each soul must walk alone in faith. Those who are called to Carmel, to its prayerful way of life, are also called to this walk in total faith.

It will come. Sooner or later, it will come, and not only to Carmelites but to all who steadfastly walk their faith-journey.God creates, God reveals, God calls to relationship – and promises a blessing (or blessings) in return for our faith-filled response; we respond in faith using our intellect and our will.

This is what St. John of the Cross writes about, i.e. the role of the intellect and the will in our faith-journey, especially during the dark night. John of the Cross says that God wants us to give Him everything – to surrender all that we are and all that we have to Him alone. John goes on to say that God will keep us in the dark night until we make this surrender.

When times grow hard and the light grows dim, in times of testing and trial, it is then that the virtue of faith comes into action. Belief can be a powerful motivator, and a deep faith keeps us moving through the darkness. Into each life, sooner or later, comes this time of testing. It takes many forms, probably as many different forms as there are people in the world. Faith tells us, “Hang in there. Hold on. Look ahead.

The only way out of it is through it.” Because of supernatural faith, we cling to the hope that God has a plan.

Edited by BarbaraTherese