An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

From Divine Office (General Calendar)   

Wednesday 19th April 2023  

SECOND WEEK EASTER            

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230419/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer  https://universalis.com/20230419/vespers.htm                                                                                                                                                                   Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230419/compline.htm

Office Readings - Second Reading

From a sermon of Saint Leo the Great, pope

Christ lives in his Church

My dear brethren, there is no doubt that the Son of God took our human nature into so close a union with himself that one and the same Christ is present, not only in the firstborn of all creation, but in all his saints as well. The head cannot be separated from the members, nor the members from the head. Not in this life, it is true, but only in eternity will God be all in all, yet even now he dwells, whole and undivided, in his temple the Church. Such was his promise to us when he said: See, I am with you always, even to the end of the world.

And so all that the Son of God did and taught for the world’s reconciliation is not for us simply a matter of past history. Here and now we experience his power at work among us. Born of a virgin mother by the action of the Holy Spirit, Christ keeps his Church spotless and makes her fruitful by the inspiration of the same Spirit. In baptismal regeneration she brings forth children for God beyond all numbering. These are the sons of whom it is written: They are born not of blood, nor of the desire of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

In Christ Abraham’s posterity is blessed, because in him the whole world receives the adoption of sons, and in him the patriarch becomes the father of all nations through the birth, not from human stock but by faith, of the descendants that were promised to him. From every nation on earth, without exception, Christ forms a single flock of those he has sanctified, daily fulfilling the promise he once made: I have other sheep, not of this fold, whom it is also ordained that I shall lead; and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

Although it was primarily to Peter that he said: Feed my sheep, yet the one Lord guides all the pastors in the discharge of their office and leads to rich and fertile pastures all those who come to the rock. There is no counting the sheep who are nourished with his abundant love, and who are prepared to lay down their lives for the sake of the good shepherd who died for them.

But it is not only the martyrs who share in his passion by their glorious courage; the same is true, by faith, of all who are reborn through baptism. That is why we are to celebrate the Lord’s paschal sacrifice with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth. The leaven of our former malice is thrown out, and a new creature is filled and inebriated with the Lord himself. For the effect of our sharing in the body and blood of Christ is to change us into what we receive. As we have died with him, and have been buried and raised to life with him, so we bear him within us, both in body and in spirit, in everything we do.

20230316_200830.jpg?v=1678958048                                            

ALL MYSTERIES OF THE ROSARY

The 20 Mysteries and their “Fruits”

The Joyful Mysteries focus on the joyful events related to the Incarnation of Jesus.

1. The Annunciation of Gabriel to the Virgin Mary (Fruit: Humility)
2. The Visitation of Virgin Mary to Elizabeth (Fruit: Love of Neighbor)
3. The Birth of Jesus (Fruit: Poverty of Spirit)
4. The Presentation of Our Lord in the Temple at Jerusalem (Fruit: Purity of Mind and Body)
5. The Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple at Jerusalem (Fruit: Obedience)

The Luminous Mysteries focus on the life and ministry of Jesus.

1. The Baptism of Our Lord in the Jordan (Fruit: Gratitude For the Gift of Faith)
2. The Wedding Feast at Cana (Fruit: Fidelity)
3. The Proclamation of the Kingdom of Heaven (Fruit: Desire for Holiness)
4. The Transfiguration of Our Lord (Fruit: Spiritual Courage)
5. The Institution of the Eucharist at the Last Supper (Fruit: Love of Our Eucharistic Lord)

The Sorrowful Mysteries focus on the sorrowful events related to the passion and death of Jesus.

1. The Agony of Our Lord in the Garden of Gethsemane (Fruit: God's Will Be Done)
2. Our Lord is Scourged at the Pillar (Fruit: Mortification of the Senses)
3. Our Lord is Crowned with Thorns (Fruit: Reign of Christ in Our Heart)
4. Our Lord Carries the Cross to Calvary (Fruit: Patient Bearing of Trials)
5. The Crucifixion of Our Lord (Fruit: Pardoning of Injuries)

The Glorious Mysteries focus on the glorious events related to the Resurrection and the reigning of Jesus in heaven with the Virgin Mary.

1. The Resurrection of Our Lord (Fruit: Faith)
2. The Ascension of Our Lord into Heaven (Fruit: Christian Hope)
3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit on the Virgin Mary and the Apostles at Pentecost (Fruit: Gifts of the Holy Spirit)
4. The Assumption of the Virgin Mary into Heaven (Fruit: To Jesus Through Mary)
5. The Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth (Fruit: Grace of Final Perseverance)

PRACTICE OF THE PRESENCE OF GOD

SEVENTH LETTER

At the age of nearly fourscore exhorts his correspondent, who is sixty-four, to live and die with God and promises and asks for prayer.

I PITY you much. It will be of great importance if you can leave the care of your affairs to, and spend the remainder of your life only in worshiping GOD. He requires no great matters of us; a little remembrance of Him from time to time, a little adoration: sometimes to pray for His grace, sometimes to offer Him your sufferings, and sometimes to return Him thanks for the favours He has given you, and still gives you, in the midst of your troubles, and to console yourself with Him the oftenest you can. Lift up your heart to Him, sometimes even at your meals, and when you are in company: the least little remembrance will always be acceptable to Him. You need not cry very loud; He is nearer to us than we are aware of.

It is not necessary for being with GOD to be always at church; we may make an oratory of our heart, wherein to retire from time to time, to converse with Him in meekness, humility, and love. Every one is capable of such familiar conversation with GOD, some more, some less: He knows what we can do. Let us begin then; perhaps He expects but one generous resolution on our part. Have courage. We have but little time to live; you are near sixty-four, and I am almost eighty. Let us live and die with GOD: sufferings will be sweet and pleasant to us, while we are with Him: and the greatest pleasures will be, without Him, a cruel punishment to us. May He be blessed for all. Amen.

Use yourself then by degrees thus to worship Him, to beg His grace, to offer Him your heart from time to time, in the midst of your business, even every moment if you can. Do not always scrupulously confine yourself to certain rules, or particular forms of devotion; but act with a general confidence in GOD, with love and humility. You may assure - of my poor prayers, and that I am their servant, and yours particularly.

mary-help-of-christians-new.jpg

LITANY IN HONOR OF OUR LADY 

https://www.catholicdoors.com/prayers/english/p00233.htm

BarbTherese

laughing-on-joke-old-woman-cartoon-clipa

The Senility Prayer
God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones that I do like, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

A woman was driving down the street in a sweat because she had an important meeting and couldn’t find a parking space. Looking up toward heaven, she said, “Lord, take pity on me. If you find me a parking place I’ll go to Mass every Sunday for the rest of my life and give up drinking wine.”Miraculously, a parking space opened up right in front of her destination.The woman looked up to heaven and said, “Never mind, Lord; I found one on my own.”

https://jokesoftheday.net/

BarbTherese

81oRTxpXHcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I don't have time just now, due in the main to this thread, but if I get the time, I would like to take up drawing and painting again.  Desk easels are quite cheap on some sites and I am looking forward to experimenting with Double-Ended Watercolor Brush Pens.  I have never used them before and they would not be as messy as paint.  I am still researching the process/how to, for these pens.

Also, I worked on, in my previous home, adult coloring books for nurseries in the main, which could pass hours and was quite enjoyable.  Framed, they can make nice donations to charity. My brother would frame for me.  

I have had SNS artificial nails put on.  They are going to last me 6 weeks$55AU, but desperately need to be cut back.  They are miles too long.  My own nails are very weak and split very easily.  SNS nails protects them - and they look quite good, neat and tidy.  I have them manicured into French nails.

The-Basic-French-Tip.png

BarbTherese

Very late to bed and very early to rise..............

A MORNING WITH:

BarbTherese

From Divine Office (General Calendar)   

Thursday 20th April 2023  

SECOND WEEK EASTER            

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230420/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer   https://universalis.com/20230420/vespers.htm                                                                                                                                                               Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230420/compline.htm

Office Readings - Second Reading

From a sermon by Saint Gaudentius of Brescia, bishop

The inheritance of the new Covenant

The heavenly sacrifice, instituted by Christ, is the most gracious legacy of his new covenant. On the night he was delivered up to be crucified he left us this gift as a pledge of his abiding presence.

This sacrifice is our sustenance on life’s journey; by it we are nourished and supported along the road of life until we depart from this world and make our way to the Lord. For this reason he addressed these words to us: Unless you eat my flesh and drink my blood, you will not have life in you.

It was the Lord’s will that his gifts should remain with us, and that we who have been redeemed by his precious blood should constantly be sanctified according to the pattern of his own passion. And so he commanded those faithful disciples of his whom he made the first priests of his Church to enact these mysteries of eternal life continuously. All priests throughout the churches of the world must celebrate these mysteries until Christ comes again from heaven. Therefore let us all, priests and people alike, be faithful to this everlasting memorial of our redemption. Daily it is before our eyes as a representation of the passion of Christ. We hold it in our hands, we receive it in our mouths, and we accept it in our hearts.

It is appropriate that we should receive the body of Christ in the form of bread, because, as there are many grains of wheat in the flour from which bread is made by mixing it with water and baking it with fire, so also we know that many members make up the one body of Christ which is brought to maturity by the fire of the Holy Spirit. Christ was born of the Holy Spirit, and since it was fitting that he should fulfil all justice, he entered into the waters of baptism to sanctify them. When he left the Jordan he was filled with the Holy Spirit who had descended upon him in the form of a dove. As the evangelist tells us: Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan.

Similarly, the wine of Christ’s blood, drawn from the many grapes of the vineyard that he had planted, is extracted in the wine-press of the cross. When men receive it with believing hearts, like capacious wineskins, it ferments within them by its own power.

And so, now that you have escaped from the power of Egypt and of Pharaoh, who is the devil, join with us, all of you, in receiving this sacrifice of the saving passover with the eagerness of dedicated hearts. Then in our inmost being we shall be wholly sanctified by the very Lord Jesus Christ whom we believe to be present in his sacraments, and whose boundless power abides for ever.

____________________________________________________\\

rosary.png?format=1000w

The 20 Mysteries and their “Fruits”

The Joyful Mysteries focus on the joyful events related to the Incarnation of Jesus.

1. The Annunciation of Gabriel to the Virgin Mary (Fruit: Humility)
2. The Visitation of Virgin Mary to Elizabeth (Fruit: Love of Neighbor)
3. The Birth of Jesus (Fruit: Poverty of Spirit)
4. The Presentation of Our Lord in the Temple at Jerusalem (Fruit: Purity of Mind and Body)
5. The Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple at Jerusalem (Fruit: Obedience)

The Luminous Mysteries focus on the life and ministry of Jesus.

1. The Baptism of Our Lord in the Jordan (Fruit: Gratitude For the Gift of Faith)
2. The Wedding Feast at Cana (Fruit: Fidelity)
3. The Proclamation of the Kingdom of Heaven (Fruit: Desire for Holiness)
4. The Transfiguration of Our Lord (Fruit: Spiritual Courage)
5. The Institution of the Eucharist at the Last Supper (Fruit: Love of Our Eucharistic Lord)

The Sorrowful Mysteries focus on the sorrowful events related to the passion and death of Jesus.

1. The Agony of Our Lord in the Garden of Gethsemane (Fruit: God's Will Be Done)
2. Our Lord is Scourged at the Pillar (Fruit: Mortification of the Senses)
3. Our Lord is Crowned with Thorns (Fruit: Reign of Christ in Our Heart)
4. Our Lord Carries the Cross to Calvary (Fruit: Patient Bearing of Trials)
5. The Crucifixion of Our Lord (Fruit: Pardoning of Injuries)

The Glorious Mysteries focus on the glorious events related to the Resurrection and the reigning of Jesus in heaven with the Virgin Mary.

1. The Resurrection of Our Lord (Fruit: Faith)
2. The Ascension of Our Lord into Heaven (Fruit: Christian Hope)
3. The Descent of the Holy Spirit on the Virgin Mary and the Apostles at Pentecost (Fruit: Gifts of the Holy Spirit)
4. The Assumption of the Virgin Mary into Heaven (Fruit: To Jesus Through Mary)
5. The Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth (Fruit: Grace of Final Perseve

PRACTICE OF THE PRESENCE OF GOD

498641.jpg

Concerning wandering thoughts in prayer.

YOU tell me nothing new: you are not the only one that is troubled with wandering thoughts. Our mind is extremely roving; but as the will is mistress of all our faculties, she must recall them, and carry them to GOD, as their last end.

When the mind, for want of being sufficiently reduced by recollection, at our first engaging in devotion, has contracted certain bad habits of wandering and dissipation, they are difficult to overcome, and commonly draw us, even against our wills, to the things of the earth.

I believe one remedy for this is, to confess our faults, and to humble ourselves before GOD. I do not advise you to use multiplicity of words in prayer; many words and long discourses being often the occasions of wandering: hold yourself in prayer before GOD, like a dumb or paralytic beggar at a rich man’s gate: let it be your business to keep your mind in the presence of the LORD. If it sometimes wander, and withdraw itself from Him, do not much disquiet yourself for that; trouble and disquiet serve rather to distract the mind, than to re-collect it; the will must bring it back in tranquillity; if you persevere in this manner, GOD will have pity on you.

One way to re-collect the mind easily in the time of prayer, and preserve it more in tranquillity, is not to let it wander too far at other times: you should keep it strictly in the presence of GOD; and being accustomed to think of Him often, you will find it easy to keep your mind calm in the time of prayer, or at least to recall it from its wanderings.

I have told you already at large, in my former letters, of the advantages we may draw from this practice of the presence of GOD: let us set about it seriously and pray for one another.

At the age of nearly fourscore exhorts his correspondent, who is sixty-four, to live and die with God and promises and asks for prayer.

I PITY you much. It will be of great importance if you can leave the care of your affairs to, and spend the remainder of your life only in worshiping GOD. He requires no great matters of us; a little remembrance of Him from time to time, a little adoration: sometimes to pray for His grace, sometimes to offer Him your sufferings, and sometimes to return Him thanks for the favours He has given you, and still gives you, in the midst of your troubles, and to console yourself with Him the oftenest you can. Lift up your heart to Him, sometimes even at your meals, and when you are in company: the least little remembrance will always be acceptable to Him. You need not cry very loud; He is nearer to us than we are aware of.

It is not necessary for being with GOD to be always at church; we may make an oratory of our heart, wherein to retire from time to time, to converse with Him in meekness, humility, and love. Every one is capable of such familiar conversation with GOD, some more, some less: He knows what we can do. Let us begin then; perhaps He expects but one generous resolution on our part. Have courage. We have but little time to live; you are near sixty-four, and I am almost eighty. Let us live and die with GOD: sufferings will be sweet and pleasant to us, while we are with Him: and the greatest pleasures will be, without Him, a cruel punishment to us. May He be blessed for all. Amen.

Use yourself then by degrees thus to worship Him, to beg His grace, to offer Him your heart from time to time, in the midst of your business, even every moment if you can. Do not always scrupulously confine yourself to certain rules, or particular forms of devotion; but act with a general confidence in GOD, with love and humility. You may assure - of my poor prayers, and that I am their servant, and yours particularly.

Litany of the Most Blessed Sacrament

Lord, have mercy,
Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy,
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy,
Lord, have mercy.
Christ, hear us,
Christ, hear us.
Christ, graciously hear us,
Christ, graciously hear us.
God the Father of Heaven,
have mercy on us.
God the Son, Redeemer of the world,
have mercy on us.
God, the Holy Spirit,
have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, One God,
have mercy on us.

O Living Bread, Who from Heaven descended,
have mercy on us.
Hidden God and Savior,
have mercy on us.
Grain of the elect,
have mercy on us.
Vine sprouting forth virgins,
have mercy on us.
Wholesome Bread and delicacy of kings,
have mercy on us.
Perpetual sacrifice,
have mercy on us.
Clean oblation,
have mercy on us.
Lamb without spot,
have mercy on us.
Most pure feast,
have mercy on us.
Food of Angels,
have mercy on us.
Hidden manna,
have mercy on us.
Memorial of God's wonders,
have mercy on us.
Supersubstantial Bread,
have mercy on us.
Word made flesh, dwelling in us,
have mercy on us.
Holy Victim,
have mercy on us.

O Cup of blessing,
have mercy on us.
O Mystery of faith,
have mercy on us.
O Most high and venerable Sacrament,
have mercy on us.
O Most holy of all sacrifices,
have mercy on us.
O True propitiatory Sacrifice for the living and the dead,
have mercy on us.
O Heavenly antidote, by which we are preserved from sin,
have mercy on us.
O stupendous miracle above all others,
have mercy on us.
O most holy Commemoration of the Passison of Christ,
have mercy on us.
O Gift transcending all abundance,
have mercy on us.
O extraordinary memorial of Divine love,
have mercy on us.
O affluence of Divine largess,
have mercy on us.
O most holy and august mystery,
have mercy on us.

Medicine of immortality,
have mercy on us.
amesome and life-giving Sacrament,
have mercy on us.
Unbloody Sacrifice,
have mercy on us.
Food and guest,
have mercy on us.
Sweetest banquet at which the Angels serve,
have mercy on us.
Bond of love,
have mercy on us.
Offering and oblation,
have mercy on us.
Spiritual sweetness tasted in its own foutain,
have mercy on us.
Refreshment of holy souls,
have mercy on us.
Viaticum of those dying in the Lord,
have mercy on us.
Pledge of future glory,
have mercy on us.

Be merciful,
spare us, O Lord.
Be merciful,
graciously hear us, O Lord.

From the unworthy reception of Thy Body and Blood,
deliver us, O Lord.
From passions of the flesh,
deliver us, O Lord.
From the concupiscence of the eyes,
deliver us, O Lord.
From pride,
deliver us, O Lord.
From every occasion of sin,
deliver us, O Lord.
Through that desire, with which Thou desiredst to eat the Passover with Thy disciples,
deliver us, O Lord.
Through that profound humility with which Thou didst wash Thy disciples' feet,
deliver us, O Lord.
Through that most ardent love, with which Thou instituted this Divine Sacrament,
deliver us, O Lord.
Through the most precious Blood, which Thou hast left for us upon the altar,
deliver us, O Lord.
Through those Five Wounds of Thy most holy Body, which was given up for us,
deliver us, O Lord.

Sinners we are,
we beseech Thee, hear us.
That Thou wouldst graciously preserve and augment the faith,
reverence, and devotion in us towards this admirable Sacrament,
That Thou wouldst graciously lead us through the true confession of
our sins to a frequent reception of the Eucharist,
That Thou wouldst graciously free us from every heresy, falsehood,
and blindness of the heart,
That Thou wouldst graciously impart to us the Heavenly and
precious fruits of this most Holy Sacrament,
That Thou wouldst graciously protect and strengthen us in
our hour of death with this Heavenly Viaticum,

O Son of God,
 Lamb of God, Who taketh away the sins of the world,
spare us, O Lord.
graciously hear us, O Lord.
have mercy on us, O Lord.
Christ, hear us,
Christ, hear us.
Christ, graciously hear us,
Christ, graciously hear us.
Lord, have mercy,
Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy,
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy,
Lord, have mercy.
Our Father . . .
Hail Mary . . .

V. Thou didst furnish them with Bread from Heaven, Alleluia.
R. Having in it every delight.

Let us pray.

O God, Who under a marvelous Sacrament has left us a memorial of Thy Passion; grant us; we beseech Thee; so to venerate the sacred mysteries of Thy Body and Blood, that we may ever perceive within us the fruit of Thy Redemption. Thou, Who livest and reignest forever and ever. Amen.

BarbTherese

Rembrandt_Christ_in_the_Storm-300.jpg

https://psychcentral.com/bipolar/bipolar-and-spirituality

Spirituality in Bipolar Disorder: Calm in the Storm?

History and stigma

Links with enlightenment

Spirituality as a tool

Summary

Hyper-religiosity is often a feature of mania in bipolar disorder. But for many, religion and spirituality are tools to support medication and talk therapy when living with bipolar disorder.

Bipolar disorder is a complicated group of conditions, with diagnosis in part based on at least one episode of mania or hypomania.

Mania sometimes involves an intense religious experience, which could be delusion or false beliefs. For an individual, such experiences can hold great spiritual meaning, but can also result in confusion about their significance.

Recent research has analyzed in-depth interviews with folks who have bipolar disorder and report religious experiences.

They reveal that most understand them as a combination of bipolar disorder symptoms and genuine spiritual experiences. For many people, having a faith-based or spiritual practice can be a helpful tool in managing bipolar disorder, along with medication and conventional therapy.

Long history of bipolar disorder mania and spiritual overlap

For a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, individuals must experience at least one episode of mania or hypomania. This is a period of high energy or irritability accompanied by specific changes in behavior.

Some people experiencing mania may also experience false beliefs or hallucinations. These are known as psychotic features. If someone with bipolar disorder reports hearing the voice of God, or believing they’re God’s messenger, a mental health professional could determine this as a psychotic feature.

For the person undergoing this experience, the situation may be more layered.

Some folks describe such episodes of mania as profoundly meaningful spiritual experiences. They may do significant personal work to find a balance between their faith and management of the symptoms of bipolar disorder.

There is some evidence that this balance may be an important one. A 2018 study of 168 people with bipolar disorder found that positive religious coping was associated with better quality of life, even when individuals were not experiencing a mood episode.

Mania, religion, and lack of support

For some people, it can be challenging to find support from their faith communities during their journey with bipolar disorder. Some folks report silence about mental health within families and congregations, while they say physical health is commonly given up to God for healing.

Mental health challenges are sometimes dismissed as the result of “demons,” lack of self-control, or “personality problems.” Such invalidation of individual experiences can be hard for someone trying to remain part of their spiritual community, while actively managing a mental health condition.

What is hyper-religiosity?

Hyper-religiosity is when a person engages more frequently in religious practices or has religious-themed delusions during a period of mania.

Research from 2019 notes that people with bipolar disorder who experience mania with religious aspects often want to know whether their experiences are genuine or a symptom of illness. The same paper notes that mental health professionals are not always able to offer a clear answer.

The study looked at 196 people with bipolar disorder — two-thirds of whom reported religious experience. It found that 50% believed religiosity was important to talk about in conventional treatment.

Of those who had religious experiences, almost half spoke about it with a mental health professional.

Another paper from 2020 notes that, although hyper-religiosity is a well-known part of some mania experiences, there is little research on how religious beliefs may affect the course of bipolar disorder.

The paper suggests it’s possible that religion could help prevent future episodes of mania or depression, although it does not suggest a person with bipolar disorder should reject medication or stop adhering to treatment.

Mania, as a path to enlightenment

Hyper-religiosity during mania can give some people a profound sense of spiritual connection and lead some to pursue a spiritual quest. However, some research shows this feeling can change over time.

In a 2019 study of 34 people with bipolar disorder who had spiritual experiences, people tried to distinguish what was genuine enlightenment and what was a symptom of bipolar disorder. Most of the interviewees interpreted their experience with a mixture of medical and religious explanations.

In the study, those who had experiences while younger reported less significance as time passed. Religious affiliation and the course of bipolar disorder also influenced how people came to understand those experiences.

Symptoms of mania reported similar to spiritual awakening

As the research demonstrates, both people with bipolar disorder and mental health professionals may labor to distinguish between genuine religious experience and a symptom of mania.

Hallucinations, delusions, and false beliefs are defined as psychotic features, which may or may not form part of an episode of mania. When someone experiences a new and unsupported religious belief, like they’re God’s special messenger, this could be seen as a psychotic feature of a manic episode.

Genuine spiritual or religious experiences, on the other hand, are much more challenging to define. One scholar notes that the objective view of the psychiatric community is to view all such experiences as stemming from the illness.

The subjective view of the individual, on the other hand, is that the experience may have both spiritual and medical causes.

Symptoms of mania/psychosisSelf-reports of enlightenment

flood of ideasepiphanies or revelations

hearing voiceshearing the voice of divinity

grandiositya feeling of being “chosen”

elevated moodeuphoria

hallucinationsvisions

sharply increased goal-oriented behaviors (can be many endeavors)goal-oriented behavior (typically single objective)

agitationpeaceful

drive toward high-consequence behaviors e.g. overspending

heightened sexual impulsivity

fidgety, restlessa feeling of centeredness, stillness

operating “full steam” on little-to-no sleepsleep disruptions

Spirituality as a tool for bipolar disorder management

For anyone living with bipolar disorder, medication and talk therapy are the gold standards of treatment. One firsthand report details how an individual with bipolar disorder attempted to manage it through spirituality alone, with nearly devastating results as her symptoms returned.

Nonetheless, having a spiritual practice or belief system can be an invaluable resource for many people. This can take many forms, including participating in a faith community and practicing meditation.

Meditation and bipolar disorder: Research

Meditation is a practice generally designed to help enhance mindfulness and focus on the present moment. There are many forms of meditation that people may use to help with bipolar disorder symptoms.

Research shows meditation for bipolar disorder management may be effective.

A 2019 studyTrusted Source out of India with 311 participants found people with bipolar disorder II who followed a meditation program scored lower on the Bipolar Disorder Rating Scale (BDRS) after engaging in the practice.

A 2017 studyTrusted Source found people with bipolar disorder who participated in mindfulness-based cognitive therapy continued to feel the benefits two years after the therapy. Many said they had an awareness of being able to better their own health.

Recap

Bipolar disorder is a complicated group of conditions. One hallmark of bipolar disorder is mania or hypomania.

When mania has religious features, it can be hard to tell if you’re having a spiritual experience or a bipolar disorder symptom. Many people find a balance between faith and the gold standard bipolar disorder management of meds alongside talk therapy.

If you want to find someone to talk with about your experiences, check out the resources on Psych Central’s Find a Therapist and Mental Health Support page.

BarbTherese

It is good to strive for definitions e.g.for humility and all the virtues; however, we need to ask The Lord in prayer for humility and all virtue for the gift of humility etc. in truth.  That means a deep conversion of heart.  To come to an internalized understanding that all indeed is gift, is Grace.  We have nothing, dust that we are, all is Grace.  We achieve nothing apart from Grace.

BarbTherese

I do disagree with Thomas in the opening statements in the above.  I do not think that the gifts of God to a person should ever be disdained in favor of going directly to the Mystery that is God.

As an example in my case with bipolar.  I should never disdain the gifts of medication and my psychiatrist, common sense tells me, in order to exercise Faith alone, but not trust in the gifts God has given me in the daily struggle with bipolar - gifts of medication and my psychiatrist.  Just now, physical pain and side affects of medication are constant tormentors. This latter is causing bipolar to be restless.  I am truly gifted in the crosses of bipolar.  At the same time, I am called to engage in the struggle against suffering....mine and that of others.  Trusting in God's gifts, is an act of Trust in God Himself.  It is not trusting in secondary causes, but Trust and with thanksgiving in God's gifts.  It is, rather, humble Trust of Him, Primary Cause as it were.  I see my psychiatrist on the 26 April.  She is an excellent doctor and I was blest to find her, led by God to her.  She kept me well for 12 years and has been my psychiatrist for over 25 years now, it must be.  If not longer.  I have kept her as my treating doctor, because I recognize the gift that she is.

Contemplation with Union is a pure gratuitous gift and CANNOT be acquired by any effort nor method. We certainly can, through effort and method predispose ourselves to it, but without guarantees.  No effort nor method can lead to it.  It is bestowed, not acquired by available means.  It can occur in the most unlikely as well as the likely.  The Good Lord does not bestow on the qualified, He qualifies those on whom He bestows.  There are those who have lived a sinful life, suddenly experience a conversion and then stages to Union.  There are those who have lived virtuous lives all their life.  There are those who struggle lifelong with serious temptations.  Each could experience the stages to Union.

We cannot make and enforce rules nor boundaries on The Holy Spirit. "The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it is coming from and where it is going; so is everyone who has been born of the Spirit.'  John Ch3

Well, that is my take anyway, my humbled and humble take.

Edit:  Even a sufferer of mental illness in potential could experience the stages up to and including Union.  "Nothing is impossible to God" LukeCh1

Edited by BarbTherese

BarbTherese

contemplation-seaside.jpg

Even if all indications are to abandon active and reflective meditation and prayer.  Passivity is never positive in my book, and at various times during a sort of prayer of quiet or simplicity, one is able and should make short aspirations of love.  This is not forced, it is a gentle and peaceful sort of invitation or inclination that is an invitation from The Lord.  He who is first speaking secretly His words of love to one's soul, one's spirit, one's heart.

Merton's talk of reading a book was excellent, I thought.

When one experiences the Prayer of Quiet or Simplicity, one knows it..........one does not and cannot doubt it, it is different from any other life-consciousness.  The experience is very deep and intense, immediate and unforced, and is actually an experience one is silently 'drawn into'.   The Presence, sense of it, is sweet, Peaceful and full of quiet Joy.  Loving. 

St Therese said that God would not inspire desires He cannot fulfill, will not fulfill.  Faith, trust, humility and......one's own faithfulness to God.  God is forever, only and always, The Faithful One.   

Nothing but God is our desired Giver, who alone can gift such intense, simple and quiet Peace and Joy, never ever experienced before.

We can indeed make mistakes.  Sin, faults, weaknesses mean "to miss the mark".  Our mark is God.  His mark, if you like, is us.  The Good Lord does not ever miss His mark - oneself!  Not ever.  That includes in suffering.

Fill me with Your Love, Your Mercy, Jesus........for I trust in You.

The Dark Night potentially can be lifelong, most often experienced intermittently............or continually. No Christ without His Cross.  Jesus gave His Life for us in a cruel and agonizing, tortured, death.  What am I willing to give?

Spiritual Fullness in Christ

"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."  Colossians Ch2

BarbTherese

We do not go into the desert to leave people, but to TRULY find them and only a secondary end. 
The primary end is the Love of God and people as the Loved in Him :heart:

True solitude is within us.  It leads one to horizons of poverty of spirit and then sets up it's tent there on sacred ground of our being.  One cannot find that country by travelling but by standing still in isolation.  One needs a place or room, corner, of isolation.  Then "go into your secret chamber and close the door, pray to your Father, who is in Heaven" Matthew Ch 6.   Once you find that secret chamber within, treasure it as gift.  Return to it as often as possible, but if called out of it by the need of another, let charity and love of neighbour take you out of it and go out without resentment.

Towards the end if this video, I found the words of Merton a bit arrogant and judgmental.  Even dismissive and unkind.  I have come into the desert of the self to find God and His beloved people in Him.  I have come out of the desert of the secret room of my heart, to cast myself with Him into the whole messiness of life, nothing excluded, to be with His people, His world and creation, creativity, prayerfully in Truth with The Holy 'Spirit, not to disdain or reject anything whatsoever.

There can be a desire to be a contemplative to be other and over and above others.  On the contrary, there are those who desire to plunge unreservedly into God and His creation at creation's heart with all its difficulties, blindness and suffering as well as their joys in order to better know and spread The Gospel............ with His Grace, for "All is Grace" -St Therese of Lisieux

quote-there-is-a-huge-silence-inside-eac

Edited by BarbTherese

BarbTherese

64dcf0756db43c14b78d2b0b7b1ec762.jpg

5 Ways to Love Your Unsaved Friends

https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-study/topical-studies/ways-to-love-your-unsaved-friends.html?utm_source=Pushnami

As believers in Christ, yes, we’re called to remain holy (“separate”) in our conduct and are not to conform to this world. But that isn’t justification to withdraw from the world or from its people. Quite the opposite. Distancing ourselves from the unsaved is not an option, nor is it biblical. Rather, Jesus told his disciples and us to “Go” into the world (“to all nations”) and to make disciples. And many times, that happens when we intentionally and prayerfully build genuine friendships with the unsaved.  MORE ON ABOVE LINK

62a5762b9d5eff66e860fb331da756c7--pagan-

BarbTherese

The following is very deep and intense, even confusing and hidden, dark......NOT FOR everyone.   I found it a real mind bender.......what Merton makes complex, is in reality simplicity per se in the extreme.  Just my lowly uneducated take, which it is........no lie.

meistereckhart1.jpg