An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

4 minutes ago, Pax17 said:

:Prayers:

Wishing you a blessed Easter.

Thank you so much, Pax.  Very much appreciated and a blessed Easter to you also.  I am all out of touch this year.  At one point in the past, it was decided to put me in to hospital the week before Easter because of the affect of Good Friday on me which would last for weeks after - but that is long past thankfully.  But juggling with this depression and keeping life running normally is proving to be a real challenge for me.  I did remember Good Friday yesterday and Jesus in the tomb today and for this I am very thankful.  What I am experiencing is a different type of depression to what I would experience in the long ago during and after Good Friday.  I am, with this depression, experiencing real problems with memory.  My psychiatrist did the dementia and Alzheimer test on me and again, very thankfully, I came through easily.

Keep safe and keep well and thank you very much again..............regards..........Barb

retro-distressed-sticker-cartoon-diary-c

After I discovered that my then husband was having an affair with my girlfriend, I began taking slimming tablets then unaware it contained a now banned substance, an illegal drug popular now on the streets, not that it would have made any difference I don't think. I was desperate for an escape and the pills and alcohol provided what proved to be an illusory and deceptive one. Around the same time, I began to drink alcohol too  (memories can come back fragmented more often than not, and at times without chronological detail as to what came when).  Our family doctor, a general practitioner, had been my doctor since I was a child and was aware of the affair, but not of my taking tablets and drinking.  I didn't tell him that.   I asked him to refer me to a psychiatrist.  When he asked me why, I stated that I did not really know, I just knew something wasn't right.  He would not refer me, stating that I did not need a psychiatrist and that time heals.

I did and do tell myself that I was a drug addict and an alcoholic.  I gave them up cold turkey both at the same time.  I don't think I would have been able to do that if I was truly fixed into addiction to both.  Perhaps I was on the brink of true addiction.  Again, no way of knowing. 

I now know that it is not at all unusual for a sufferer of mental illness to take to drugs and alcohol in an attempt to deal with symptoms of the underlying psychiatric problem - most often before they are aware they have a psychiatric condition.  That is a reason possibly, but certainly, it is not an excuse.  I have also wondered that if I had seen a psychiatrist when I asked to do so, would my bipolar condition developed as seriously as it did.  No way of knowing of course.  One can only play the actual cards one is dealt, not any kind of imaginary cards. It was another four years at least before I had a serious and overt psychotic experience, and then another six years before I was diagnosed bipolar (between times, I think I must have been diagnosed with most every psychiatric problem in the book!)  How I lived those four years until I finally broke right down into psychosis, I don't know in a sense - they were years in a terrible mental, emotional and spiritual hell.  I was still going to Mass - if I was well enough.  I was not only going to Mass, I was active in my parish and to a lesser degree at diocesan level.   I had tried too to talk to a priest - the result being that his advice made my situation worse sadly.

My son (my biological son, not my foster son) and his wife rang me last night and his Dad and my ex husband and his 'wife' of probably 15 years or so were living in another state.  My son has told me they are now living in my state.  I retain a friendly relationship with my ex and his 'wife', although we are not close, just friendly.....or perhaps acquaintance is a better word.  Somewhere in-between those two nouns I think.

Filling in gaps

fill-the-gap.jpg?w=1100

Edit:  The priest theologian who later became my spiritual director was a family friend both prior to and after the onset of my serious psychotic break.  It was after the break that I began seeing him as my spiritual director.  He was the priest who confirmed for me re private vows.  He also corrected for me the bad advice a priest had given me.  I had been on a discernment journey for a couple of years post illness.......but back then "discernment" and "private vows" were nouns I had never heard of before - not until many years later indeed my son gave me a computer.  He set up an email address and showed me Google type searching - and that back then was all I knew about computers.  Not that I am all that more enlightened today!

Edit again:  My discernment journey per se only really began after my then husband divorced me.  I was in a mess:  What did God want of me? Did He want the likes of me in the first place?  Yep, for sure I was in a muddled mess in most every way I think.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

animals-cow-diary-dairy-journal-diary_en

I have Package 4, which is the highest amount the government provides the elderly disabled.  The problem has been that I was granted Package 4 but I had to wait (i.e. can't use the money) over 14months for it to "be assigned" meaning that I can use the money the government makes available to me in the Package.  The money is now assigned to me, but I can only use it to purchase what the government approves.  Be all that as it may, I do think we have a wonderful welfare system here in Australia.

I have been assessed and I need my garage automated so that I can purchase an electric gopher or scooter.  I am also assessed in need of an electric recliner and electric bed.  But I have to pay for them out of any rollover accumulation.  I have not been out of this house since before Christmas 2020 - only to doctor's appointments and the hairdresser.  My physical situation has degenerated and I can only go very short distances indeed with my wheeler and walking stick.  With a gopher I can go out on my own.  Problem is that the government do not approve garage automation out of the package.  Very fortunately, a (non Catholic) charity has come to my aid and will automate the garage for me ($1500).  However, I have to wait until my community housing landlord approves the automation.

So here I sit still.  It rather reminds me of the play "Waiting for Godot".  That does give me a giggle.  Today it occurred to me that if I had a wheelchair, I could go out and about with the help of a carer (paid for out the package) and also go to Mass.  Father was bringing me Holy Communion, but with our dire shortage of priests, parishes being joined into the one parish, and then COVID, I told Father I would be ok until things worked out for me re transport to Mass. An NDIS approved wheelchair costs $650.  So I had a look on EBay and I can pick one up for $184 plus $40 delivery and I could buy it out my savings.  Problem might prove to be, I dont know at this point, that a carer can only push an NDIS approved wheelchair.   Tomorrow is Divine Mercy Sunday for us in Australia.  I will find out about a carer for an EBay purchased wheelchair on Monday.

So here I sit still and I have been sitting still and waiting now since before Christmas 2020.  Be all that as it may, I am far better off than the many.  What am I waiting for?  In truth, I have no idea, I only know I will know it when it happens.

I feel deeply for Queen Elizabeth in the loss of her husband and support, Prince Philip.  I grieve.

Deo Gratius Laudate Dominum.

220px-Divine_Mercy_Sanctuary_in_Vilnius4

With Divine Mercy Sunday, I have been totally undeservedly blest ........Deo Gratius Laudate Dominum..................... more later

Heartfelt prayer for all who suffer physically, mentally, emotionally and/or spiritually in any way at all - be suffering small or great.  At this time, I am especially conscious of the many.......

0412-624x468.png

1222-624x468.png

Edited by BarbaraTherese

4489868_101518-cc-royal-family-tree-new.

Prayer for Harry and Meghan and a happy reconciliation back in to the royal family.

For a happy reconciliation too with Meghan's family.

rs_634x1024-171118143803-634.queen-princ

May the soul of Prince Philip and that of all departed souls rest in the Peace and Mercy of The Lord.  And may The Lord's Peace and Mercy be with Queen Elizabeth especially at this time of very deep loss and as she moves into her now's alone, without her beloved consort.

1211-624x468.png

queen-elizabeth-ii-and-hrh-prince-philip

Prince Harry has reached out to his family, including cousins, in an effort to reconciliation in the family.

Uniforms will not be worn at Prince Philip's funeral since Andrew, his son, has problems with the investigation into his relationship with pedophile, Jeffrey Epstein.  Also Prince Harry has been formally stripped of his titles.  All will be wearing civvies.

Prayer for Prince Philip and his eternal rest in Peace and in Joy - also for full reconciliation within the royal family and Prince Harry.  Prayer for the Queen and the family's grief at this time of sad loss - to us all really.

Prayer for all suffering and grieving

0415-es-624x468.png

Edited by BarbaraTherese

two-girls-gossiping-vector-illustration-

GOSSIP

Good reputation taken from another

Once taken

Gone forever

0416-624x468.png

depositphotos_13951404-stock-illustratio

I just had to laugh.  I was just checking on my subscription inbox for anything interesting - and came across the following:..........https://www.catholic.com/encyclopedia/simony  I think that if I am ever asked in the future "What is simony?" - I might need to reply:

"I'm not too sure about that one" :lol4:I did try to internalize paragraphs one and two before giving up on the endeavour after taking a glance only at the paragraphs that followed.

Simony

Exchange of spiritual things for temporal things

Listen to the audio version of this content (go to above link)

Simony (from Simon Magus; Acts, 8:18-24) is usually defined “a deliberate intention of buying or selling for a temporal price such things as are spiritual or annexed unto spirituals”. While this definition only speaks of purchase and sale, any exchange of spiritual for temporal things is simoniacal. Nor is the giving of the temporal as the price of the spiritual required for the existence of simony; according to a proposition condemned by Innocent XI (Denzinger-Bannwart, no. 1195) it suffices that the determining motive of the action of one party be the obtaining of compensation from the other. The various temporal advantages which may be offered for a spiritual favor are, after Gregory the Great, usually divided into three classes. These are:

the munus a manu (material advantage), which comprises money, all movable and immovable property, and all rights appreciable in pecuniary value; the munus a lingua (oral advantage) which includes oral commendation, public expressions of approval, moral support in high places; (3) the munus ab obsequio (homage) which consists in subserviency, the rendering of undue services, etc. The spiritual object includes whatever is conducive to the eternal welfare of the soul, i.e. all supernatural things: sanctifying grace, the sacraments, sacramentals, etc. While according to the natural and Divine laws the term simony is applicable only to the exchange of supernatural treasures for temporal advantages, its meaning has been further extended through ecclesiastical legislation. In order to preclude all danger of simony the Church has forbidden certain dealings which did not fall under Divine prohibition. It is thus unlawful to exchange ecclesiastical benefices by private authority, to accept any payment whatever for holy oils, to sell blessed rosaries or crucifixes. Such objects lose, if sold, all the indulgences previously attached to them (S. Cong. of Indulg., July 12, 1847). Simony of ecclesiastical law is, of course, a variable element, since the prohibitions of the Church may be abrogated or fall into disuse. Simony whether it be of ecclesiastical or Divine law, may be divided into mental, conventional, and real (simonia mentalis, conventionalis, et realis). In mental simony there is lacking the outward manifestation, or, according to others, the approval on the part of the person to whom a proposal is made. In conventional simony an expressed or tacit agreement is entered upon. It is subdivided into merely conventional, when neither party has fulfilled any of the terms of the agreement, and mixed conventional, when one of the parties has at least partly complied with the assumed obligations. To the latter subdivision may be referred what has been aptly termed “confidential simony”, in which an ecclesiastical benefice is procured for a certain person with the understanding that later he will either resign in favor of the one through whom he obtained the position or divide with him the revenues. Simony is called real when the stipulations of the mutual agreement have been either partly or completely carried out by both parties.

To estimate accurately the gravity of simony, which some medieval ecclesiastical writers denounced as the most abominable of crimes, a distinction must be made between the violations of the Divine law, and the dealings contrary to ecclesiastical legislation. Any transgression of the law of God in this matter is, objectively considered, grievous in every instance (mortalis ex toto genere suo). For this kind of simony places on a par things supernatural and things natural, things eternal and things temporal, and constitutes a sacrilegious depreciation of Divine treasures. The sin can become venial only through the absence of the subjective dispositions required for the commission of a grievous offense. The merely ecclesiastical prohibitions, however, do not all and under all circumstances impose a grave obligation. The presumption is that the church authority, which, in this connection, sometimes prohibits actions in themselves indifferent, did not intend the law to be grievously binding in minor details. As he who preaches the gospel “should live by the gospel” (I Cor., ix, 14) but should also avoid even the appearance of receiving temporal payment for spiritual services, difficulties may arise concerning the propriety or sinfulness of remuneration in certain circumstances. The ecclesiastic may certainly receive what is offered to him on the occasion of spiritual ministrations, but he cannot accept any payment for the same. The celebration of Mass for money would, consequently, be sinful; but it is perfectly legitimate to accept a stipend offered on such occasion for the support of the celebrant. The amount of the stipend, varying for different times and countries, is usually fixed by ecclesiastical authority (see Stipend). It is allowed to accept it even should the priest be otherwise well-to-do; for he has a right to live from the altar and should avoid becoming obnoxious to other members of the clergy. It is simoniacal to accept payment for the exercise of ecclesiastical jurisdiction, e.g., the granting of dispensations; but there is nothing improper in demanding from the applicants for matrimonial dispensations a contribution intended partly as a chancery fee and partly as a salutary fine calculated to prevent the too frequent recurrence of such requests. It is likewise simony to accept temporal compensation for admission into a religious order; but contributions made by candidates to defray the expenses of their novitiate as well as the dowry required by some female orders are not included in this prohibition.

In regard to the parish clergy, the poorer the church, the more urgent is the obligation incumbent upon the faithful to support them. In the fulfilment of this duty, local law and custom ought to be observed. The Second Plenary Council of Baltimore has framed the following decrees for the United States: (I) The priest may accept what is freely offered after the administration of baptism or matrimony, but should refrain from asking anything (no. 221). (2) The confessor is never allowed to apply to his own use pecuniary penances, nor may he ask or accept anything from the penitent in compensation of his services. Even voluntary gifts must be refused, and the offering of Mass stipends in the sacred tribunal cannot be permitted (no. 289). (3) The poor who cannot be buried at their own expense should receive free burial (no. 393). The Second and Third Plenary Councils of Baltimore also prohibited the exaction of a compulsory contribution at the church entrance from the faithful who wish to hear Mass on Sundays and Holy Days (Conc. Plen. Balt. II, no. 397; Conc. Plen. Bait. III, no. 288). As this practice continued in existence in many churches until very recently, a circular letter addressed September 29, 1911, by the Apostolic Delegate to the archbishops and bishops of the United States, again condemns the custom and requests the ordinaries to suppress it wherever found in existence.

To uproot the evil of simony so prevalent during the Middle Ages, the Church decreed the severest penalties against its perpetrators. Pope Julius II declared simoniacal papal elections invalid, an enactment which has since been rescinded, however, by Pope Pius X (Constitution “Vacante Sede”, December 25, 1904, tit. II, cap. vi, in “Canoniste Contemp.”, XXXII, 1909, 291). The collation of a benefice is void if, in obtaining it, the appointee either committed simony himself, or at least tacitly approved of its commission by a third party. Should he have taken possession, he is bound to resign and restore all the revenues received during his tenure. Excommunication simply reserved to the Apostolic See is pronounced in the Constitution ` Apostolicm Sedis” (October 12, 1869): (I) against persons guilty of real simony in any benefices and against their accomplices; (2) against any persons, whatsoever their dignity, guilty of confidential simony in any benefices; (3) against such as are guilty of simony by purchasing or selling admission into a religious order; (4) against all persons inferior to the bishops, who derive gain (quaestum facientes) from indulgences and other spiritual graces; (5) against those who, collecting stipends for Masses, realize a profit on them by having the Masses celebrated in places where smaller stipends are usually given. The last-mentioned provision was supplemented by subsequent decrees of the Sacred Congregation of the Council. The Decree “Vigilanti” (May 25, 1893) forbade the practice indulged in by some booksellers of receiving stipends and offering exclusively books and subscriptions to periodicals to the celebrant of the Masses. The Decree “Ut Debita” (May 11, 1904) condemned the arrangements according to which the guardians of shrines sometimes devoted the offerings originally intended for Masses partly to other pious purposes. The offenders against the two decrees just mentioned incur suspension ipso facto from their functions if they are in sacred orders; inability to receive higher orders if they are clerics inferior to the priests; excommunication of pronounced sentence (latae sententiae) if they belong to the laity.

N. A. WEBER

bac7d4d7ebcc52851c10269391bbbcf0.jpg

In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
This Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
Here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone! – who took on flesh,
Fullness of God in helpless babe.
This gift of love and righteousness,
Scorned by the ones He came to save:
Till on that cross as Jesus died,
For every sin on Him was laid;
Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay,
Light of the world by darkness slain:
Then bursting forth in glorious day
Up from the grave He rose again!
And as He stands in victory
Sin’s curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine –
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life’s first cry to final breath,
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand:
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I’ll stand.

https://www.stuarttownend.co.uk/song/in-christ-alone/