An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

Hi Pax - The video at the end of this post is is a favourite of mine that I do identify with - but only the chorus, which is far too repetitive. Don't think much of the verses either.  But the chorus speaks to me loudly. I will get around to reading Maya Angelou's poem........doing it a bit rough at this point:

On 5/25/2021 at 5:47 AM, Pax17 said:

I learned to speak up, and to "give as good as I got."

Good upon you:winner: - do keep up the good work and I feel you will.:winner:  I can speak up too, Pax - but have to admit only when I am manic, which is a bit of a concern.  I have well and truly put my foot in the pie when manic.  I have learnt to hold off and if I still want to do so, to speak up but only after the episode, if I can hold off that is.  So many times I have spoken up when manic, and I very largely have lost my good Catholic reputation.  Outside an episode I am in command of myself and try very hard to be credible - not that it gets me anywhere nowadays.  Phatmass has been a pure Gift to me - in many ways, so many ways!!!   Our previous last two Archbishops too have been a real blessing to me, pure Gift, and totally out of the blue, not expected even slightly.  Don't know at all our new current Archbishop.

My religious and priest spiritual director and confessor - many many years ago now, said to me:

"Girl, be credible"

I replied: "Father, if I am not credible does that mean I am incredible?"

He was not amused but angry but kept it inside.  It was written all over him.  He was the most holy priest religious I have ever met.  But man oh man, Father could not tolerate one little bit, the fool - and well known for it.  I used to say that I was his penance.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

One thing really struck me more than ever before and lingered in my mind watching the movie above.  Nah! I would need formation in the religious life to final vows and after to ever be that good - short of the miraculous always.  AND a miracle it would be - no two ways about it.

Cause for Sr Clare sainthood to open on fifth anniversary of death https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2021/02/01/news/cause-forsr-clare-sainthood-to-open-on-fifth-anniversary-of-death-2205134/

Sr Clare, please pray for us.

tired-old-cartoon-granny-vector-illustra

Can't sleep.  This pain medication doesn't put me to sleep like Tramadol would. Not as good a pain-killer as Tramadol either.  I see my GP next Tuesday.  He wants me to give him feedback after two weeks of taking Palexia (new anti-pain medication).  I think I just might be better on an increased milligram Palexia.

I am going out for a smoke and decaf coffee.   3 mins off 2 am here.  The real blessing is that tomorrow and Sunday I won't have visitors and any phone calls are minimal. Problems, big problems, with my last episode, my older persons' mental health have asked me if I would see someone specifically in the PTSD expertise.  I agreed but she wanted to speak to my psychiatrist first and I can understand and appreciate that.

Something tipped my balance and I got extremely anxious and panicky.  I decided to take up the cigs again rather than added stress trying to stay off them.  I had not smoked for 10 years until shifted here.  So have done it a couple of times, i.e. take to the smokes and then decided to give them up.  It is quite difficult for me for probably 3 days, but after that, I have given them up again again.  I really have to give them up due to financial situation.

That last episode in latter part of 2019 has knocked me all over the place and continues to do so every day. After 14 years free of all that.  Even my psychiatrist said she cannot understand it either.  It was totally different to an episode requiring hospitalization in the past.  Totally different and far more severe too.  But my senior Older Persons' Mental Health worker called earlier today.  She assessed that I was have a real struggle - but that I was nowhere near needing hospitalization.  Deo Gratius and Laudate Dominum.  It is The Lord working through her.

woman-bathrobe-illustration-depicts-tire

Edited by BarbaraTherese

232-2327448_anger-clipart-teacher-angry-

I wanted to say the following before going to bed and hopefully, to fall asleep.  When I am in the early stages, as now.  Going to bed can raise my anxiety right up to the roof because of what I have experienced after lights out and bed.  I am afraid it might happen again - but usually only at some points or stages of my brand of bipolar episode.  Faith is my engine for one only - but at times like now, I just cannot feel it.  Rather, invest in what I know The Church teaches and cling to it like my saving rock from drowning completely - and it is because of what Jesus said to Peter :  "thou art Peter, The Rock, and on this Rock, I will build My Church - and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it".

My eyes fell tonight on dUSt's statement as to what Open Mic was all about.  Ah well, I can try anyway.  If I manage to hit dUSt'S bar now and then and even if only inadvertently - a big consolation....VERY BIG.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47lvxcabbo0xdyerrfuy

Edited by BarbaraTherese

my-get-up-and-go-got-up-and-went-if-2325

I am still around.  Had a fall (nothing serious Deo Gratius Laudate Dominum) and ye olde body is a bit sore and lacking get  up and go ,,,,,,, it just got up and went on me .

This too shall pass.

teresaavilaquote.jpg

Glad to hear that you're OK.  The dear husband and I have both fallen in our new house...I am still looking for fluorescent safety tape to use in the garage so I can see where the heck I'm going!

14 hours ago, Pax17 said:

Glad to hear that you're OK.  The dear husband and I have both fallen in our new house...I am still looking for fluorescent safety tape to use in the garage so I can see where the heck I'm going!

LOL.  I am still trying to get in to the optician and get new glasses (spectacles), because I need to see where the heck I am going.

Do be careful, both of you, a small fall even in a healthy much younger person than I, can attest to that.  She cannot get over that such a little thing could cause so many problems (her knee) - 2 surgeries later and her Hope is that the last surgery will be the last with no guarantee.  Take care.  I hope you will be able to get fluorescent safety tape to use in the garage very soon.

Thank you so much, Pax.  It is always a Joy to see you make a contribution every now and then either in this thread or elsewhere on Phatmass Forum.  A real Joy!...........warm regards.........Barb

"There is no success like failure, and failure is no success at all" (Bob Dylan:  "Love Minus Zero/No Limit")

Bob Dylan's website - lyrics to "Dont Think Twice Its All Right"

Following put out by Bob after he became Christian - later decided to dig into his Jewish Roots.  Nowadays, your guess is as good as mine....like.....um, err.......nix!  (Lyrics to "You Gotta Serve Somebody"

After that, I came across de Mello's "Awareness" - I read it taking out what I thought was meaningful, forgetting the rest.  He does need to be read with awareness of what The Church teaches.  I believe that in his later years, de Mello 'got into' eastern type religions, something like that.  The Vatican does issue a rather detailed warning https://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_19980624_demello_en.html (Cardinal Josef Ratzinger - later Pope Benedict XVI).  It was approved by Pope John Paul II.)

There were things in his above mentioned book that I found were gems of wisdom and valuable to me personally - but not all he wrote for sure, and certainly nothing contrary to Church Teaching.  If there were (as in places), The Church and Her Teaching would have trumped by a long shot.

Duty calls.

• 1 month later...

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e478gu18vlswig9rc9jz2

https://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/153655-prayer-please/

I have been writing on and off lately into the above thread, titled "Prayer Please", in Open Mic, while  nothing in this thread on Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality.  I will pick up the latter at some point or other unknown to me.

Ecclesiastes

Chapter 3 - another valuable and important guiding Chapter, not lengthy either https://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PKY.HTM

"There is an appointed time for everything, and a time for every affair under the heavens.............A time to scatter stones, and a time to gather them; a time to embrace, and a time to be far from embraces. A time to seek, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away. A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to be silent, and a time to speak...............

............And I saw that there is nothing better for a man than to rejoice in his work; for this is his lot. Who will let him see what is to come after him?"

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47tizi7tmi6a5veyp7g2

............seems is operative............I am always a bit stunned when things go my way or as I had hoped if things went my way, which I sincerely doubted  they would - yet, it does speak to the fact that The Lord does not hesitate to stoop to His very least ...........

This morning I could not connect to the internet.  I tweaked here and there before deciding I was probably making the situation worse.  I switched off my computer deciding it would be best to contact my go-to IT expert on Monday (Saturday here today).  It costs, but he has proved himself every bit worth it to this computer dummy, no exaggeration.  I returned about 2 hours later to my computer and decided to switch off and then on again power to the computer for some reason.

Lo and behold, I connected to the internet ok.

Deo Gratius, Laudate Dominum.

july-12-2021.png

Reading from Vespers - Monday 12th July 2021

James 4:11-12 

Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who slanders a brother, or condemns him, is speaking against the Law and condemning the Law. But if you condemn the Law, you have stopped keeping it and become a judge over it. There is only one lawgiver and he is the only judge and has the power to acquit or to sentence.

Who are you to give a verdict on your neighbour?

• 2 weeks later...

Still struggling with health - physically and mentally.  But nothing too dramatic thankfully.

2d7c6bbfbfbc0b87a36d41d519f3b5d1.png

Since my bout of pneumonia triggering the most serious episode of bipolar I have ever experienced, I have had one drama after another (the last one last night) - dramas not caused by illness, rather by human beings.  Hence, I am still not really over that most serious episode of bipolar, which seems to repeat with every drama - a senior mental health workers feels that I could be suffering PTSD.  I see my psychiatrist this coming Thursday.  I am having a lot of trouble with my eyes too and cannot sit on the computer for long before my eyes water followed by headache.  My appointment with my optician had to be cancelled as my transport did not show.

I am writing the above as a reason I am not contributing as much as is my usual habit.  Someone said to me that we never know what the future will bring.  I replied, "Nor can we know what the past could create".

I am hopeful for the future, however.  It is just that I am going through now a difficult and crazy stage in the overall and not on Phatmass as much, nor as I would prefer.  I no sooner seem to work through one drama, than another is on my doorstep ..... in a continual progression for months now.

I am amazed at how people who do not believe in God and/or those who do not grasp our Catholic theology and especially that of suffering and difficulty,  manage to work through life's sh**.......um.........er........idiosyncrasies. 

Machine_Washable
On 8/1/2021 at 2:45 AM, BarbaraTherese said:

2d7c6bbfbfbc0b87a36d41d519f3b5d1.png

Since my bout of pneumonia triggering the most serious episode of bipolar I have ever experienced, I have had one drama after another (the last one last night) - dramas not caused by illness, rather by human beings.  Hence, I am still not really over that most serious episode of bipolar, which seems to repeat with every drama - a senior mental health workers feels that I could be suffering PTSD.  I see my psychiatrist this coming Thursday.  I am having a lot of trouble with my eyes too and cannot sit on the computer for long before my eyes water followed by headache.  My appointment with my optician had to be cancelled as my transport did not show.

I am writing the above as a reason I am not contributing as much as is my usual habit.  Someone said to me that we never know what the future will bring.  I replied, "Nor can we know what the past could create".

I am hopeful for the future, however.  It is just that I am going through now a difficult and crazy stage in the overall and not on Phatmass as much, nor as I would prefer.  I no sooner seem to work through one drama, than another is on my doorstep ..... in a continual progression for months now.

I am amazed at how people who do not believe in God and/or those who do not grasp our Catholic theology and especially that of suffering and difficulty,  manage to work through life's sh**.......um.........er........idiosyncrasies. 

May God make it easier for you.