An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

On 11/22/2021 at 3:40 AM, Yvonne said:

Hi Barbara Therese,

I am Yvonne and I have a private vow of chastity. I know that we could add other vows. I am thinking of vowing not to look up my old Community and see what they are doing. Is that something legitimate.  Do you know if I could vow something like that?

Thank you an God bless.

Hi Yvonne -  I am having problems with my Phatmass Profile after a rather lengthy physical disability problem.  I don't know if I have responded to you or not - apologies if not.

Questions on Private Vows, which are personal, are best addressed to a spiritual director.  I am sorry, but  I cannot answer your query, other than private vow or vows can remain a perfectly confidential matter between you and God - no one else whatsoever no matter rank in The Church.  Canon Law has a section on Vows.  Be that  as it may, the best way  in prudence, to my mind, is to confer with a spiritual director.

God bless on you and your query .........Barb

The anchor man and the ads on THE CHOSEN drive me batty, but to me the video proper is worth the watching.  One needs to remember that it is imaginary BASED ON The Gospel.  Take on board whatever you choose, discard the rest.   To my mind, one needs to have a good understanding or working familiarity with The Gospel before taking on board and/or discarding.

The following appeared at the end of the previous post, it should have been a new Post. 

"The anchor man and the ads on THE CHOSEN drive me batty, but to me the video proper is worth the watching.  One needs to remember that it is imaginary BASED ON The Gospel.  Take on board whatever you choose, discard the rest.   To my mind, one needs to have a good understanding or working familiarity with The Gospel before taking on board and/or discarding."

The following is a video about the unfolding of the comedy acts of Billy Connolly.    There are swear words now and then and some over the top to some, perhaps the many.  If we cannot laugh at ourselves and evangelize with some humour, then we might as well pack and go home with our Good News, which can sound to a hearer as anything but Good News.  Of course, we do not have to use extreme language, although Aussies are noted for it in casual conversation, not always, but sometimes is not uncommon.  Personally, I find it sad that the shocking swear words have become a norm in Australia and in the USA.   But when in Rome, we need to speak and/or hear as the Romans do.

The challenge of our times, to me, is to get The Gospel into the vernacular ........... present something really new to the hearer(s) that is yet the Truth of The Gospel.  I had much success in my previous suburb, especially teenagers, and one ex bikie president, some others, who wanted to hear me rave-on to them with laughter, but not derogatory laughter at me, rather the Gift I have to preach The Gospel, with words if necessary - rather by walking the talk.  A seed thrown willynilly - just  a pebble in a massive pool of humanity, if limited humanity......though I hope not.......internet being what it is........

Audiences do not flock to Billy Connolly for the shocking language at times, but for the humour in his stories.  If one cannot stand the dreadful swear words at times peppered in his stories, don't be a part of his audience.....live or online - best pack up your troubles - minus the smiling - in your old kit bag, some Church Militants, and go home.....wherever that is here on earth ....

When I am feeling down and depressed, I turn to the comedians on YouTube and if that doesn't help raise my soured emotions, then half an Oxazepam will.......as a last resort since down times in me, bipolar, can trigger much anxiety.  Not always....but too often nevertheless.....Deo Gratius Laudate Dominum.

............merely an attempt to shake up in order to do some, I hope, a triggering into waking up.....posting with a prayer always........

If Tipperary = Heaven and "the sweetest girl I know" = Our Blessed Mother  ........then.............listen you that have ears to hear............

Quote with link below: "Let’s break on through to the other side and find out what influenced The Doors to name their band. It was Jim Morrison who proposed the name The Doors to his band mates. He was inspired by William Blake via Aldous Huxley’s book on mescaline, The Doors of Perception.

Morrison chose the band’s name after reading Aldous Huxley’s The Doors of Perception, which got its title from a quote in a book written by William Blake, “The Marriage of Heaven and Hell.” The quote is as follows, “If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro’ narrow chinks of his cavern.” Quote from article HERE and spot on insofar as my research has revealed anyway.

I laughed and laughed when I saw the following video, thinking of The Doors of Perception - to Morrison's belief anyway............ and when films were innocent.........

Lyrics are here: https://www.bobdylan.com/songs/stuck-inside-mobile-memphis-blues-again/

"Rain" can either mean nuclear fallout .......or..........suffering of any kind......

Performed by Patti Smith when Dylan was presented with the Nobel Peace Prize for Literature:

WARNING!    WARNING!    WARNING!   Swear words are frequent and over the top for some, perhaps many..........please be warned...........

Billy Connolly now has Parkinson's Disease.  In this video he talks about PD......from Australian 60 Minutes:

In the video below, Bob Dylan talks about his life and wellspring of creativity.....and life after......I really heard what he had to say about destiny...............I read somewhere a great description of art.  Whatever the hearer or viewer of art interprets an artwork as being, that has validity.  I hold that if one is prayerful in life, The Holy Spirit is always at work in that person.  What they interpret has meaning for that person.  The proviso always is providing it is in line with The Gospel and the Teaching of The Church .   Think about The Our Father "lead us not into temptation".......think about it........

An example of just how intelligent Dylan actually is.  Have you noticed how much God/Jesus comes into his music - his later stuff anyway:popcorn2: and that Dylan never swears i.e. uses cuss words.  What sort of alerted me to Dylan from the first, almost accidentally. was through his music and lyrics.  This is a guy, I thought, searching for Truth and will no settle for less.....and so wrote to him C/- Columbia Records................eventually (funny story in the interim) he 'wrote' back to me in the lyrics of his songs and very much in his guitar or mouth organ.......and that is how we speak to each other today even............defies even imagination.  Remember that all things are possible to God..........

You just might find the lecture by Dylan too much to grasp.............

In a previous email , I quoted these words:  "Morrison chose the band’s name after reading Aldous Huxley’s The Doors of Perception, which got its title from a quote in a book written by William Blake, “The Marriage of Heaven and Hell.” The quote is as follows, “If the doors of perception were cleansed, everything would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro’ narrow chinks of his cavern.” 

HERE

I am referring in the link below to an allegory of Plato and Socrates, picking up on or referring to the word "cavern", which I have highlighted with bold above.

https://www.masterclass.com/articles/allegory-of-the-cave-explained#what-is-the-allegory-of-the-cave :  "Plato uses the cave as a symbolic representation of how human beings live in the world, contrasting reality versus our interpretation of it. These two ideas reflect the two worlds in the story: the world inside the cave, and the world outside. For the prisoners in the cave, the shadows on the wall created by firelight are all they know to be real. If one of the prisoners breaks free and witnesses the outside world, they will come to understand that as the true reality. However, when the freed prisoner returns to the darkness of the cave, their eyes will have now been blinded by the light of the sun, and their fellow prisoners still inside the cave will believe that it is the outside world that is harmful; to them, that truth is not worth seeking.

The allegory delves into the philosophical thought of truth, and how those with different experiences or backgrounds may perceive it. The shadows on the wall of the cave are constantly changing, so there is no stability or consistency offered for those who bear witness to them—only a false reality. They have no knowledge that the real world exists outside of their dark cave, or even that there is a real world other than their own. Meanwhile, the person who has left the cave will not be able to exist as they once did. In fact, they may even come to pity or feel superior to those who remain in the cave. The allegory essentially demonstrates the conflicts between knowledge and belief and what happens to a person once they’ve been enlightened. It is an examination on the nature of humanity, and fear of the unknown". 

Re the video below, The Unknown Soldier by The Doors, see article re what  the video is about https://alphahistory.com/vietnamwar/the-doors-the-unknown-soldier-1968/

The video is disturbing and to me, disturbingly graphic - the three figures walking away at the end of the video are the three members of The Doors including Jim Morrison.  Prayer for those military who have died in war including those whose bodies never found i.e. the unknown soldier - as well as for all family and friends.  Prayer too for all returned veterans and their family and friends.  Prayer for our returned vets who have taken their own lives unable to deal with personal post war trauma.  Prayer for all military.  Prayer for all who grieve.  May all, with us all, through The Infinite Mercy of God, immediately rest in Peace in Heaven.  Not our will, Father, but may Thy Will ever be done on earth as it is in Heaven.

Hail to thee Mary! Mary our mother and Queen of Peace, Mother of God, pray for us all.

Jesus, Lord of Peace, Truly God, truly man, have Mercy on us all.

Glory be to The Father, and to The Son and to The Holy Spirit - as it was in the beginning, is now, and forever will be - Amen.

I have felt so sad in posting.  I felt as if I was watching a young man, Jim Morrison, vocalist for The Doors group, destroying himself.  I have deleted all the videos.  Like every single person on earth, he had a mission here and a message.....sadly, very sadly to me, his message is lost to most viewers and listeners in all likelihood.  That message is wrapped up, disguised, in music and lyrics created and sung by a person off centre, off his foundation, out of touch with his identity and therefore his reality..........."the messenger is gone and with him his message".  The man is the message or "to walk the talk", which is also the essence of The Gospel. I felt as if I was watching a young man destroying himself.  It is understandable, if not excusable, but who am I to judge, and largely because I am familiar with his journey to fame and the results of that fame.  Fame/notoriety in Jim's case, costs dearly, exacts a heavy price.

The Doors with Jim Morrison, vocalist, is not for all.  Watching and listening to the videos can potentially exact a heavy price too on one's psyche and/or psychology.  This Post has left me with a heavy heart and sad.  I really wanted to delete this Post, but truth of the matter is that it took me such a long time and with some researching here and there, that I could not bring myself to delete.  That is my story and I plan to stick to it!  :mad3:.... :lol4:...........

I have prayed about it - a short prayer of trust and now I am deleting the videos of The Doors with Jim Morrison, vocalist.  I remain concerned about the under age on the internet and the videos are not for them.

I love the late nights and then early morning hours.  I can switch off my mobile to DO NOT DISTURB so it will not ring.  No one will be ringing my doorbell.  When I go to bed I sleep 7.5 hours around that.  I can listen and view musicians in the main on YouTube.  I know if I want to post into Pham, my train of thought wont be interrupted.

Tonight, I have not slept at all.  Been awake all night but not always in prayer.  Most of it was in writing.  I can't go off to sleep during the day or I will get my days and nights mixed up.....up through the night and needing to sleep for the majority of the day.  I am long experienced with the latter.

I learnt the piano for 4 years before studying pianoforte (classical piano) for another 5 years, theory and practice (graded "Honors" for both theory and practice for 5 years).  I come from a musical history going way back i.e. pianoforte or classical musicians - one was., way back, a child prodigy.   He toured the world playing classical piano at 9 years of age is the family tale.  Phillip Hargraves:  https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/resource/B+69033 

I wanted back then to continue my studies in ballet under Ms. Joanna Priest but my parents wanted me to study pianoforte as it was a subject in the curriculum i.e. all the exams to go on through to Fifth Year or as it was known during my College days, Leaving Honors.  (Then to university if one wanted to go further and on to university - I didn't.  Not all that long after leaving College, I entered monastic life.  What a very long story with those years, harrowing years to me as a summary.  They were years of mixed up confusion, but then I was only just  16 years of age.  

Luke Chapter 12 Verse 10.........."I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!" https://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PWV.HTM 

Another important Chapter to read.  Reading the whole Chapter will most often give context to the verse being  quoted.  Prayer to the Holy Spirit first is the best of moves.

From the notes at the bottom of the Chapter, link as in quotation box above:  ...."5 [10-12] The sayings about the holy Spirit are set in the context of fearlessness in the face of persecution (⇒ Luke 12:2-9; cf ⇒ Matthew 12:31-32). The holy Spirit will be presented in Luke's second volume, the Acts of the Apostles, as the power responsible for the guidance of the Christian mission and the source of courage in the face of persecution.

An artistic perspective is not, of necessity, what the artist believes personally himself or herself, it can be reflecting something back to any viewer or listener as if the viewer and/or listener were looking at a mirror of themselves.  Jimmy Morrison is a poet writing song lyrics i.e. it is meant to  be sung not written down as a poem and two entirely different genres.  I like to think that I understand what the message of Morrison in poetical lyricism is about.....not all, if any, will I think...........I think Jim, in many of the videos, is drunk and probably on a drug or concoction of drugs ...... this usually denotes a person who cannot handle their reality, environment - some such thing.....the same thing can apply to some only sufferers of mental illness.  Unable to handle their personal reality which induces anxiety, the brain becomes overloaded and the brain just logs off and logs in to an entirely different reality ....my brother calls me when 'unwell' simply "on another planet, Planet X" ............:whistle:........therefore the problem is at core psychological, rather than physiological where it is centered in some kind of brain  'misfunctioning'....... I read in Time Magazine probably now around 50 years ago "psychiatry is the invention of society to keep its' more creative members in line".  Psychiatry and psychology have their primary focus getting their patient back into a frame of mind to where they can find a place in "the herd" - or fit into general community without overwhelming problems of adjustment, which can lead to return and return again, perhaps many times, to a psychiatric hospital/ward.....known as the revolving door.  The psychologist and psychiatrist have their responsibility and accountability primarily to patient and to society.  Now therein can be a paradox and sometimes irreconcilably so.  Either patient or society is going to be upset, sort of short changed as it were - and most often, the patient will draw the short straw.

I have had it said to me by a psychiatrist that patients come into hospital and can be 'cured'.  The problem is that they have  to send him or her back into the same environment, situation etc., that triggered them into illness in the first place (an opting out of the herd presenting to the herd a most unwelcome challenge often) in the first place. He can treat the patient, but not the environment, situation etc. and so very often the patient becomes 'unwell' again and must return to a hospital/ward.  Psychiatry and psychology cannot treat the sickness in the herd, in the general community, or wherever the foundational problem (for patient) exists.  For some patients, he or she just cannot adjust into the craziness of their personal environment.  Another psychiatrist  (I have had many ) said that it is not the patient who seeks treatment that they are concerned about.  It is all the crazies who walk around in the herd, the general community, thinking they are 'sane and normal'.  There is no such thing!  In fact, I would venture to state, that one just has to be a bit crazy to survive out in this madness.

Very strange story around the following video (now deleted with all the rest of The Doors with Jim Morrison, which I had intended to post).  I am not ready to write about it i :popcorn2:..........and truth can be stranger than fiction where all things are possible to God.

Matthew Verse 25 and 25: ..........."When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and said, "Who then can be saved?"

Jesus looked at them and said, "For human beings this is impossible, but for God all things are possible." https://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PVS.HTM

..............and now to lift the mood heaps and haps - a very whole lot indeedy.........

........and now to get things back into Reality from Catholic Productions on YouTube:.................

I am still around.  I've had days of doorbell and phone driving me round that familiar bend, up a hill, down a dale, then round the next bend again.  I have matters going down for a few more days........I think!

When people ask me "How are you?" I reply:

"Tar!.....gettin' There wherever There is!"

"Today's troubles are enough for today, let tomorrow look after itself."  Jesus has told us.  So I just get through to There one day at a time...........wherever the f**?^ There is, of course!  To date, when you get to There, you just know that There is indeed there.

MV5BMjA1ODM1NjI0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTU1

VERSUS

The man is The Message wrapped in sound and words + band and                                                   vocalist choreography....+ watch audience clips, Steve.

(Bikie War declared Sunday 4.9.22 Adelaide South Australia)

My brother, Robert Paul Garnaut (aka Bobby Bul***it - President of THE NORSEMEN Adelaide Chapter, in early 1980's was murdered but declared accidental, arranged by CCops, Hell's Angels and SB*ss.  Was married to Suzie X - maiden name unknown, after funeral she shot through to Queensland after ripping off my Mum and Dad. 

THE NORSEMEN Adelaide Chapter, where Bob had sent cream of crop from Adelaide to Queensland to found Queensland Chapter of THE NORSEMEN.

Still in shock and grieving for Bob.  Three guys knocked on my door one day, introducing themselves as Bob's mates.  Looked bikie to me and knew bikie non verbal language i.e. suspected from Queensland Chapter THE NORSEMEN.  The three guys came inside my then rented house in EVA STREET, ENFIELD SOUTH AUSTRALIA.  Great guys those three riders.  They asked me for a few things related to Bob and said they would contact me when I had them.  They gave me no contact details for them, "best not to do so". they had said.  Subsequently, once I had what they wanted, one of the riders called on me to pick up what  I had gathered.  One of those items was an accident report on Bob's 'accident', but when it arrived and after some cops anyway had given me the run around to collect the report, it arrived in the post but was unsigned.  I was confused but decided to leave it until the guys called back to pick up what they wanted.  I put the unsigned accident report away in my paperwork drawer.  When one of the riders called to pick up what they needed, I went to my files, but was shocked to find the accident report was missing.  I gave him the rest of material I had gathered.

Part One above.....Part two later.

Lyrics to SAXON THE PILGRIMAGE ... HERE

For SAXON Adelaide Chapter and THE NORSEMEN wherever establishedI am a 'deceased' Bikie President's sister - and married a bikie, M.O'N, aka Highway Gypsy, after Bob had 'died' but many years after his 'death'.  Mick was Catholic, but not practising.  We married in a bikie ceremony with valid celebrant - my first marriage to DDH and second to Highway Gypsy were both annulled by Catholic Church as I had been advised (SD and Confessor, priest religious) to have marriages annulled to allow me to be completely free in every way to make Private Vows.  That was effected but took a few years before Tribunal sent me a letter advising that my application for both marriages had been approved.

SAXON :  Ready ... Set ... + :

FLICK.................. SAXON Lieutenant Adelaide Chapter : ..........\

Leave the past to God's Mercy

The future to His Divine Providence

and faithful care live in THE NOW within God's Constant Care and Love

HIS GUIDANCE and HIS DIRECTION

The Catholic Church  is MISSIONARY in the footsteps of St Paul, our greatest missionary evangelist:

Mark Ch16 https://biblehub.com/nasb_/mark/16.htm "After this he appeared in another form to two of them walking along on their way to the country.  They returned and told the others; but they did not believe them either.

(But) later, as the eleven were at table, he appeared to them and rebuked them for their unbelief and hardness of heart because they had not believed those who saw him after he had been raised.

He said to them, "Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel to every creature. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved; whoever does not believe will be condemned.

These signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will drive out demons, they will speak new languages. They will pick up serpents (with their hands), and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm them. They will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

So then the Lord Jesus, after he spoke to them, was taken up into heaven and took his seat at the right hand of God.

But they went forth and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them and confirmed the word through accompanying signs."

"You are the salt of the earth. But if salt loses its taste, with what can it be seasoned? It is no longer good for anything but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden.

Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house.  Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.

MATTHEW CHAPTER 5

https://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PVE.HTM

Whole Chapter 5 is an invaluable read to think about.  Prayer to The Holy Spirit first.............

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.

Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.

Sunday 4th September 2022

Happy Fathers' Day to all Dads!

Bit down today - my own Dad is dec'd.  I miss him.

79a7d2107ec567a53df360a09fc7dd83.jpg

and

..... just found out that Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters has died......so many gone along The Way....feeling weepy.......reminded me of my own mortality.......

6 hours ago, BarbTherese said:

..... just found out that Taylor Hawkins of Foo Fighters has died......so many gone along The Way....feeling weepy.......reminded me of my own mortality.......

he died from a drug overdose, what a tragic waste. 

God rest his soul.

Luke Chapter 9 https://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__PWS.HTM  "And to another he said, "Follow me." But he replied, "(Lord,) let me go first and bury my father." But he answered him, "Let the dead bury their dead. 28 But you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God."

And another said, "I will follow you, Lord, but first let me say farewell to my family at home." (To him) Jesus said, "No one who sets a hand to the plow and looks to what was left behind is fit for the kingdom of God."

LYRICS to Dead Man: https://www.bobdylan.com/songs/dead-man-dead-man/

My son was in Qatar for the 2006 Asian Games Opening Ceremony.  I watched it on YouTube - and one of the most beautiful Opening Ceremonies for the Games anywhere, I think.  The whole ceremony is beautifully moving - and I am now able to grasp the meaning of their 'mythological' story of the establishment of Qatar in the Middle East but if a bit too long for you, at 

LYRICS TO BROWNSVILLE GIRL :https://www.bobdylan.com/songs/brownsville-girl/

Oscar Piastri is in our family on Mum's side, i.e. Chinese and English.  (The French connection is on Dad's side.   Mum's sister married an aboriginal, her other sister married an Italian; hence Oscar's bloodline).

Oscar is only 21 years of age and is headed for Formula 1 - while barriers are being put up to try to hold him back.  I am really hoping that he will break through the barriers and head Formula 1 side.  I too love speed ... if this is not already obvious :offtopic: ... and still too today at almost 77 years of age.  Rowley Park Speedway, Adelaide Sth Aust., was one of my favourite places when I was a teenager .......and I would often run in to, here and there, The Findon Skid Kids. They attended St Mary's Dominican College (uninvited on their bikes ... in the schoolyard) on the night I was presented with the scholarship..... back in the way back dark ages:harp:

JP2_4857_2021092312228201

Oscar Piastri is within our wide family ambit and is related to me.  At 21 years of age, he is headed into the fast lane of Formula 1.  He is living in Victoria, my next door state.

OSCAR wins Formula 2 Championship - 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

I also know Chris Smerdon, touring car driver, living in Adelaide South Australia:  https://m.facebook.com/V8TouringCars/videos/chris-smerdon-the-enduring-champion/500593570720085/

Flick                  (Click on to link in quote box to see 2022 San Marino Grand Prix bike racing)

Ben Cousins - his Dad was my then boyfriend, Denis - Denny - Sampson's best mate.   (Hey Ben! .......Up The Mighty CROWS - Aussie football)

Steve                 

• 4 months later...

Well, it has been quite a while since I posted.  For most of the past 12 months or thereabouts, I have been in a psychiatric ward of a large South Australian public hospital, the Lyell McEwin in Adelaide, Ward 1H.  I have been in and out that ward in the revolving door and it has been quite a journey.  My son and my brother have now been appointed by The Guardianship Board (oh horrors!) as my guardians and while I was summonsed to appear before The Board and respond to them, together with senior hospital staff and my hospital psychiatrist speaking (against me), I did get what I wanted and my son and brother were appointed as my guardians.  D and G were happy to be my guardians too.  The names of the innocent have been changed to an initial.  It is my experience is that the guilty need no protection from me.  They are experts in protecting themselves, their own backs**es.

I do plan to write in detail about the above journey, but knowing me I waffle all about the place and my apologies for that.  The videos do 'speak' to my post in some way.  Ignore any lyrics on the bottom of videos as they are invariably inaccurate and frequently, in so doing, distort Dylan's meanings.  Best to find Bob Dylan's lyrics online.

The music videos I post, do speak to my post in some way.  Until next time. I have quite a story, my journey in Ward 1H to relate.

"Night" references in Dylan's videos do refer to A Dark Night, or even The Dark Night, of the soul.  I picked up some of the lyrics in his music and wrote to him re The Dark Night, recommending he read The Dark Night of the Soul by St John of The Cross.  It was through his lyrics later that I picked up that he just might have taken on board some of what I had to say in my letters and even that he might have indeed read St John of The Cross.  A few years later, I met him when he was in Adelaide.  It was a very intense meeting, enigmatic and cryptic often and I guess we both were at times.  It is what Dylan calls "fading into his own parade" or meeting his fans, his 'parade' of fans.