An Old School Catholic Message Board

Private Vows in The Laity/Spirituality

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

Devotion to Our Lady

Daily: Three Hail Mary's. "Mary Queen of Heaven, conceived without sin, pray for we who have recourse to thee, please (mention your intention)"

The Power of God and the Miraculous Medal

Why Devotion to Mary is so Important

BarbTherese

From Divine Office (General Calendar)   

Thursday 6th April 2023 - HOLY WEEK 

HOLY THURSDAY

( The summit of the Liturgical Year is the Easter Triduum—from the evening of Holy Thursday to the evening of Easter Sunday. Though chronologically three days, they are liturgically one day unfolding for us the unity of Christ's Paschal Mystery. USCCB HERE )                                           

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230406/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer https://universalis.com/20230406/vespers.htm

Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230406/compline.htm

OFFICE OF READINGS

Second Reading

From an Easter homily by Saint Melito of Sardis, bishop

The Lamb that was slain has delivered us from death and given us life

There was much proclaimed by the prophets about the mystery of the Passover: that mystery is Christ, and to him be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

For the sake of suffering humanity he came down from heaven to earth, clothed himself in that humanity in the Virgin’s womb, and was born a man. Having then a body capable of suffering, he took the pain of fallen man upon himself; he triumphed over the diseases of soul and body that were its cause, and by his Spirit, which was incapable of dying, he dealt man’s destroyer, death, a fatal blow.

He was led forth like a lamb; he was slaughtered like a sheep. He ransomed us from our servitude to the world, as he had ransomed Israel from the hand of Egypt; he freed us from our slavery to the devil, as he had freed Israel from the hand of Pharaoh. He sealed our souls with his own Spirit, and the members of our body with his own blood.

He is the One who covered death with shame and cast the devil into mourning, as Moses cast Pharaoh into mourning. He is the One who smote sin and robbed iniquity of offspring, as Moses robbed the Egyptians of their offspring. He is the One who brought us out of slavery into freedom, out of darkness into light, out of death into life, out of tyranny into an eternal kingdom; who made us a new priesthood, a people chosen to be his own for ever. He is the Passover that is our salvation.

It is he who endured every kind of suffering in all those who foreshadowed him. In Abel he was slain, in Isaac bound, in Jacob exiled, in Joseph sold, in Moses exposed to die. He was sacrificed in the Passover lamb, persecuted in David, dishonoured in the prophets.

It is he who was made man of the Virgin, he who was hung on the tree; it is he who was buried in the earth, raised from the dead, and taken up to the heights of heaven. He is the mute lamb, the slain lamb, the lamb born of Mary, the fair ewe. He was seized from the flock, dragged off to be slaughtered, sacrificed in the evening, and buried at night. On the tree no bone of his was broken; in the earth his body knew no decay. He is the One who rose from the dead, and who raised man from the depths of the tomb.

Responsory

℟. All men have sinned and are far away from God’s saving presence, but by the free gift of God’s grace they are all redeemed through Christ Jesus, who sets them free.* God offered him so that by his death he should become the means by which men’s sins are forgiven, through their faith in him.

℣. Look, there is the Lamb of God: it is he who takes away the sin of the world.* God offered him so that by his death he should become the means by which men’s sins are forgiven, through their faith in him.

Let us pray.

Love of you with our whole heart, Lord God, is holiness.

Increase, then, your gifts of divine grace in us,

so that, as in your Son’s death

you made us hope for what we believe,

you may likewise, in his resurrection,

make us come to you, our final end.

Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,

who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,

God, for ever and ever.

Amen.

Let us praise the Lord.

– Thanks be to God.

A HOLY HOUR

Thursday 6th April 2023

If one takes what appears below slowly, pausing reflectively where something might strike one, with pauses for silent prayer, this entire Post will take up far more than an hour. 

Simply take out of this post what attracts and one considers will cover one hour.  Leave room for Silent Prayer. 

What one gives emphasis to will continue; hence, with distractions don't try to fight them or ignore them, don't give any attention/focus to them at all and they just pass.   

Virtual Sorrowful Mysteries of The Rosary (One can pray the prayers with the video, simply listen quietly contemplating or meditating on the particular mystery........or simply attend or listen in Peaceful Quiet.)

Entire Office of Readings

https://universalis.com/20230406/readings.htm

BarbTherese

English translation of
Pange Lingua

Of the glorious Body telling,
O my tongue, its mysteries sing,
And the Blood, all price excelling,
Which the world's eternal King,
In a noble womb once dwelling
Shed for the world's ransoming.

Given for us, descending,
Of a Virgin to proceed,
Man with man in converse blending,
Scattered he the Gospel seed,
Till his sojourn drew to ending,
Which he closed in wondrous deed.

At the last great Supper lying
Circled by his brethren's band,
Meekly with the law complying,
First he finished its command
Then, immortal Food supplying,
Gave himself with his own hand.

Word made Flesh, by word he maketh
Very bread his Flesh to be;
Man in wine Christ's Blood partaketh:
And if senses fail to see,
Faith alone the true heart waketh
To behold the mystery.

Therefore we, before him bending,
This great Sacrament revere;
Types and shadows have their ending,
For the newer rite is here;
Faith, our outward sense befriending,
Makes the inward vision clear.

Glory let us give, and blessing
To the Father and the Son;
Honour, might, and praise addressing,
While eternal ages run;
Ever too his love confessing,
Who, from both, with both is one.

Amen.

il_1588xN.2338078871_qitj.jpg

Heart of Jesus, burning with Love for man

Inflame my heart, inflame my heart

With Love for You, and in You

Let me Love all

Let me embrace Your Lessons Speaking in all creation

The Slow Years (Fruitful v Productive) HERE

MARCH 15, 2023

CLAIRE DWYER

We were wrapping up the Q&A session after my talk at an online writer’s conference. The recording had already stopped and I relaxed and stretched my legs under my desk as the moderator asked me to field a final question.

It was one I’m asked frequently: How do you find time to write? 

I paused.

Normally I would have talked about schedules, or making appointments with myself, or finding pockets of time.  Normally I would have stressed how important it was to make space for what’s important.

But for some reason that day I heard myself say something different.

“For fifteen years,” I said, “I didn’t write anything for the public.” 

I let that sink in for a moment and then described how the first decade and a half of marriage found me raising a houseful of young children and trying to keep my head above water.  But—I was reading a lot. I was praying. I was loving. I was living my vocation.

“It was a fruitful time, but it was not productive. Some seasons are like that.” I didn’t plan on saying more. Suddenly, there was a flurry of activity in the comment thread, asking me to elaborate on the difference between productivity and fruitfulness in the writing life.

“Productivity,” I mused, “is getting things done. It is checking the boxes; it is finishing the article or essay or chapter. It is submitting the book proposal or making the pitch or meeting with the editor.”

I leaned forward on my desk. “Fruitfulness is slow and unseen work. It is absorbing and growing. It is healing. It is learning. It is becoming the woman who will write the book someday.”

The moderator sighed. “I wish we were still recording,” she lamented.

I felt it too – the sense that the Holy Spirit was driving home something incredibly important in that moment. Maybe, I thought, everything else I’ve said today was actually for the sake of this point.

It is a distinction important not just for writers but for all of us who have wondered if we are doing enough—especially in a culture which celebrates accomplishments, wins, and time management geared toward “getting things done.’ Let’s face it. Growing up and going deep rarely includes crossing things off a list.

And I do love a to-do list with lots of lines through it! The seasons that are ultimately the most fruitful often feel in the moment to be the most frustrating. I’ve certainly experienced that sense of futility.

But those seasons of becoming—those cannot be sped-up or skipped over. They are the most important seasons.

Those seasons are transformative times of deep, thick grace. They are dripping with slowness.

Those seasons are transformative times of deep, thick grace. They are dripping with slowness.

I’ll say this for all the frustrated writers out there, or anyone whose creativity feels stifled and stagnant in a life with lots of limitations: Leaning into the lessons of the present moment—of suffering, and sacrificing, of putting yourself last in order to give life to others, of staying put where God has you and letting the roots go deep—those will make you the person who will have something to say when the time comes to say it, the person who will have a story to tell and the perspective to tell it with wisdom and healthy detachment.

Timing really is everything.  

And the Lord who “has set eternity in the human heart” (Ecclesiastes 3:11) invites us to a posture of patient expectance and to keep our eyes on eternal rewards.

“Be who God meant you to be and you will set the world on fire,” said St. Catherine of Siena. The part we often miss, though, is that ‘being’ that person necessitates knowing who God meant us to be.  It means becoming that person, being healed and whole and wholly ourselves.  That’s not a quick process.

And it is definitely not a productive one.

So here’s to the slow years, the years that feel barren when we want life to feel flourishing. When others are crushing goals and breaking ceilings, we will find solace in the fact that our ‘becoming’ years are making it possible for us to bear fruit that will last.

BarbTherese

BokFHSmq2K6PL6jIuKKFogDhay6ewU0rtItdjJcf

18082021-Barefoot-Priest_-4-scaled-e1630

I know the above priest.  Fr. Tom Gleeson.  He was parish priest in a parish to which I belonged many years ago now.  It was Tom who approved my making final and life private vows .  He is also the only priest I have called by his Christian name. Gosh! He sure was and I am sure still is, quite the character.  I might give him a ring after Easter.  Tom is now in his low eighties and decades now separate us with so much water under the bridge - he may not recall me, but I will never forget him.  He was a major influence on my spirituality.  To simply be myself with all my problems and weaknesses without despair, out of which will flow naturally who I am in reality, fulfilled only in Heaven.......it is a journey of up a few creeks and down again, of fair winds and foul, the doldrums too - it is simply a journey through any life here,.....

..........I saw the Pain Clinic last Monday and, since I do not want surgery, the physio gave me exercises to do twice daily, plus to walk outside twice daily.  Gosh! There goes my day while already it is 5pm before I know it.  5pm usually is my switch off time; firstly, to watch The News locally.  6.30pm is International News.

I have another appointment with the Pain Clinic early May to see their Clinical Nurse with Psychologist.  The podiatrist in this Home is free of charge, which means I can fit in a physiotherapist in my Medical Care Plan with Anna, my GP, by deleting podiatry.  Deo Gratius Laudate Dominum

I am still settling in here in my Aged Care Home - still dealing with the sudden and dramatic change of environment.  If I were more attached to The Master's Will i.e. what He has permitted, than my own will, I would not feel the wrench as suffering, which I do.  (I really like a title for Jesus being "The Master")

Straight to Heaven or – Is Purgatory Our Destiny? https://www.setonmagazine.com/dad/straight-to-heaven-or-is-purgatory-our-destiny

our-lord-does-not-come-from-heaven-st-t-

Psalm 37:4 - Delight yourself in the Lord;And He will give you the desires of your heart.

Fear stunts growth, love will give it wings.

BarbTherese

Friday 7th April 2023

GOOD FRIDAY 

( The summit of the Liturgical Year is the Easter Triduum—from the evening of Holy Thursday to the evening of Easter Sunday. Though chronologically three days, they are liturgically one day unfolding for us the unity of Christ's Paschal Mystery. USCCB HERE )                                           

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230407/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer https://universalis.com/20230407/vespers.htm

Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230407/compline.htm

OFFICE OF READINGS

Second Reading

From the Catecheses by Saint John Chrysostom, bishop

The power of Christ's blood

If we wish to understand the power of Christ’s blood, we should go back to the ancient account of its prefiguration in Egypt. “Sacrifice a lamb without blemish,” commanded Moses, “and sprinkle its blood on your doors.” If we were to ask him what he meant, and how the blood of an irrational beast could possibly save men endowed with reason, his answer would be that the saving power lies not in the blood itself, but in the fact that it is a sign of the Lord’s blood. In those days, when the destroying angel saw the blood on the doors he did not dare to enter, so how much less will the devil approach now when he sees, not that figurative blood on the doors, but the true blood on the lips of believers, the doors of the temple of Christ.

If you desire further proof of the power of this blood, remember where it came from, how it ran down from the cross, flowing from the Master’s side. The gospel records that when Christ was dead, but still hung on the cross, a soldier came and pierced his side with a lance and immediately there poured out water and blood. Now the water was a symbol of baptism and the blood, of the holy Eucharist. The soldier pierced the Lord’s side, he breached the wall of the sacred temple, and I have found the treasure and made it my own. So also with the lamb: the Jews sacrificed the victim and I have been saved by it.

“There flowed from his side water and blood.” Beloved, do not pass over this mystery without thought; it has yet another hidden meaning, which I will explain to you. I said that water and blood symbolised baptism and the holy Eucharist. From these two sacraments the Church is born: from baptism, “the cleansing water that gives rebirth and renewal through the Holy Spirit,” and from the holy Eucharist. Since the symbols of baptism and the Eucharist flowed from his side, it was from his side that Christ fashioned the Church, as he had fashioned Eve from the side of Adam. Moses gives a hint of this when he tells the story of the first man and makes him exclaim: “Bone from my bones and flesh from my flesh!” As God then took a rib from Adam’s side to fashion a woman, so Christ has given us blood and water from his side to fashion the Church. God took the rib when Adam was in a deep sleep, and in the same way Christ gave us the blood and the water after his own death.

Do you understand, then, how Christ has united his bride to himself and what food he gives us all to eat? By one and the same food we are both brought into being and nourished. As a woman nourishes her child with her own blood and milk, so does Christ unceasingly nourish with his own blood those to whom he himself has given life.

Responsory

℟. Your ransom was not paid in anything corruptible, neither in silver nor gold, but in the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish.* Through him we all have access to the Father in the one Spirit.

℣. The blood of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, purifies us from all sin.* Through him we all have access to the Father in the one Spirit.

Let us pray.

Be mindful, Lord, of this your family,

for whose sake our Lord Jesus Christ, when betrayed,

did not hesitate to yield himself into his enemies’ hands

and undergo the agony of the cross.

Who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,

God, for ever and ever.

Amen.

Let us praise the Lord.

– Thanks be to God.

crucifixion_art_lds.jpeg 

GOOD FRIDAY - Friday 7th April 2023

The Roman Missal and the Celebration of

the Lord's Passion on Good Friday

https://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/liturgical-year-and-calendar/triduum/roman-missal-and-the-good-friday-liturgy

GoodFriday_120417.jpg

BarbTherese

I think too that I do have a vocation to a consecrated way of life, just not as it is lived now.  Although if the single privately vowed had the opportunity to be embraced into consecrated life per se, it is not my vocation, which is specifically to the Laity - as per the foundation of Christianity and then vowed living. Over 40 years living this life through the ups and downs of it all, bipolar episodes too, tells me that Grace supports me or I would have married many years back.  My very first director and confessor living and working in our seminary then, priest religious theologian, Fr Robert Duggan CM, called me a new type of religious sister.  But I identify with Laity, not Consecrated Life.  A previous Archbishop of ours, Archbishop Faulkner, expressed much interest in my way of life and I wrote to him quite extensively about it.  He had been a priest when I was in college. We became pen pals while he was our Archbishop through Our God of The Surprise.  A strong feature of religious life is living in community, although many religious now live at times on their own due to environmental factors but they do still ideally maintain strong contacts with their particular  religious community.  My community are the people around me wherever I happen to be including couch surfing as in the past - a mark of the particular lifestyle I have lived i.e. my community identification.  There 'would be' formation in community however......very long story.  Must quit.  I am so tempted to fill in gaps. :) 

I did try secular institutes incidentally, but every one rejected me due to bipolar except for The Leaven OCDS (Carmelite) but they wanted me to visit them in Ireland.  No way could I afford that kind of financial output, financially supporting the poorer than I, as I was.  I took in ironing for 17 years,6 days weekly, to keep Bethany (name of my lifestyle) going.  Other than that, my income was a disabiliity pension due to bipolar.  The Lord provides for His Works. :)   

MQC02044.jpg?v=1487362346

Our Lady of The Way, patron of Bethany.  For me, the child is a child of the streets with Our Lady looking to Heaven prayerfully asking for help.

For the interested - The Leaven OCDS :   https://www.carmelite.org/communities/directory/leaven-carmelite-secular-institute

Edited by BarbTherese

BarbTherese

The commercials in the above are very short but rather frequent.

This graffito dates to the period of Hadrian or possible a little later… making it possibly the earliest such image of crucifixion. Several features are worth brief mention— it appears clear that in this case we are talking about a woman being crucified, which surely was exceptional and rare. Possibly she was a slave woman, but with graffiti like this, and the fact that it was found on the west wall of a taberna this could be a sick joke about someone who thought that woman should be executed.  In other words, a fictional reference.  More importantly, like the more famous graffito found in the catacombs in Rome (see my Invitation to the NT for the picture and discussion) we note that again this is not the same thing as someone tied to a stake. There is clearly a cross piece in this picture as in the one in the catacombs.   Here below is the archaeologist’s rendering of the image on the taberna wall. Finally, kudos to my colleague and friend Mark Wilson for pointing out a fine article that deals with this and other examples and mentions of crucifixion.  “Crucifixion as Spectacle in Roman Campania” Author(s): John Granger Cook Source: Novum Testamentum , 2012, Vol. 54, Fasc. 1 (2012), pp. 68-100                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

alkimilla.jpg                                                                                                                                                                          https://www.patheos.com/blogs/geneveith/2021/04/roman-drawings-of-crucifixions-and-what-they-tell-us/     

Settling in to my aged care home, I am now attempting to set up a routine.  Usually, it can take up a couple of attempts before something can feel 'the right fit'............my take...........

I am attempting to leave live Adoration open on this computer so I can return to it during the day.  I mean, living in an aged care home, I have next to nothing at all to do all day, if you had not noticed :)   Gazing on The Blessed Eucharistic online a short time back, it hit home that what I experienced is so often the way I can treat others.  In Eucharistic Adoration I see a simple white host, but I know the reality it hides without really understanding the fullness of it.  And so I see the person, and he or she reveals to me whatever they might  wish about themselves.  But behind all that, simply communicated, person is the possibly known but not really understood.  We are a complete mystery to each other.  I need to hold that thought, God Willing, as this journey continues.  As I gaze on a Crucifix, I need to remember that we are all coming from a somewhere.........and many from a very painful indeed somewhere - a past painful nurturing, without much relief at all.   Mystery!  "The bruised reed, I will not break.  The smoking flax, I will not  quench"(Matthew Ch 12) https://www.gotquestions.org/smoking-flax-not-quench.html............."Come, follow Me"

Venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen gives an excellent talk on Good Friday:

BarbTherese

Saturday 8th Aprill 2023  

HOLY SATURDAY

( The summit of the Liturgical Year is the Easter Triduum—from the evening of Holy Thursday to the evening of Easter Sunday. Though chronologically three days, they are liturgically one day unfolding for us the unity of Christ's Paschal Mystery. )                                           

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230408/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer https://universalis.com/20230408/vespers.htm

Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230408/compline.htm

OFFICE OF READINGS

Second Reading

From an ancient homily for Holy Saturday

The Lord's descent into the underworld

Something strange is happening – there is a great silence on earth today, a great silence and stillness. The whole earth keeps silence because the King is asleep. The earth trembled and is still because God has fallen asleep in the flesh and he has raised up all who have slept ever since the world began. God has died in the flesh and hell trembles with fear.

He has gone to search for our first parent, as for a lost sheep. Greatly desiring to visit those who live in darkness and in the shadow of death, he has gone to free from sorrow the captives Adam and Eve, he who is both God and the son of Eve. The Lord approached them bearing the cross, the weapon that had won him the victory. At the sight of him Adam, the first man he had created, struck his breast in terror and cried out to everyone: “My Lord be with you all.” Christ answered him: “And with your spirit.” He took him by the hand and raised him up, saying: “Awake, O sleeper, and rise from the dead, and Christ will give you light.”

I am your God, who for your sake have become your son. Out of love for you and for your descendants I now by my own authority command all who are held in bondage to come forth, all who are in darkness to be enlightened, all who are sleeping to arise. I order you, O sleeper, to awake. I did not create you to be held a prisoner in hell. Rise from the dead, for I am the life of the dead. Rise up, work of my hands, you who were created in my image.

See on my face the spittle I received in order to restore to you the life I once breathed into you. See there the marks of the blows I received in order to refashion your warped nature in my image. On my back see the marks of the scourging I endured to remove the burden of sin that weighs upon your back. See my hands, nailed firmly to a tree, for you who once wickedly stretched out your hand to a tree.

I slept on the cross and a sword pierced my side for you who slept in paradise and brought forth Eve from your side. My side has healed the pain in yours. My sleep will rouse you from your sleep in hell. The sword that pierced me has sheathed the sword that was turned against you.

Rise, let us leave this place. The enemy led you out of the earthly paradise. I will not restore you to that paradise, but I will enthrone you in heaven. I forbade you the tree that was only a symbol of life, but see, I who am life itself am now one with you. I appointed cherubim to guard you as slaves are guarded, but now I make them worship you as God. The throne formed by cherubim awaits you, its bearers swift and eager. The bridal chamber is adorned, the banquet is ready, the eternal dwelling places are prepared, the treasure houses of all good things lie open. The kingdom of heaven has been prepared for you from all eternity.

Responsory

℟. Our shepherd, the source of living water, has departed. At his passing the sun was darkened, for he who held the first man captive is now taken captive himself.* Today the Saviour has shattered the bars and burst the gates of death.

℣. He has torn down the barricades of hell and overthrown the power of Satan.* Today the Saviour has shattered the bars and burst the gates of death.

Let us pray.

Almighty, ever-living God,

whose Only-Begotten Son descended to the realm of the dead,

and rose from there to glory,

grant that your faithful people,

who were buried with him in baptism,

may, by his resurrection, obtain eternal life.

Who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,

God, for ever and ever.

Amen.

Let us praise the Lord.

– Thanks be to God.

Rise, let us leave this place, for you are in me and I am in you; together we form only one person and we cannot be separated. For your sake I, your God, became your son; I, the Lord, took the form of a slave; I, whose home is above the heavens, descended to the earth and beneath the earth. For your sake, for the sake of man, I became like a man without help, free among the dead. For the sake of you, who left a garden, I was betrayed to the Jews in a garden, and I was crucified in a garden.         

Adoration ceases until after Easter Vigil HERE    

A HOLY HOUR

If one takes what appears below slowly, pausing reflectively where something might strike one, with pauses for silent prayer, this entire Post will take up far more than an hour. 

Simply take out of this post what attracts and one considers will cover one hour.  Leave room for Silent Prayer. 

What one gives emphasis to will continue; hence, with distractions don't try to fight them or ignore them, don't give any attention/focus to them at all and they just pass.   

Holy Saturday https://www.catholic.com/encyclopedia/holy-saturday

Entire Office of Readings

https://universalis.com/20230408/readings.htm

BarbTherese

Got my bill from my Home here and nearly fell over.  I think I can scrape it through.  Looks as if they have taken a bond out my first payment and fair enough, although I knew nothing about it.

Shock horror!

Thank The Lord, I will just scrape it through, providing I will not get another bill until the end of May.  If I do, I will need to ask my son or brother to stake me for a couple of hundred dollars...........I can pay them back given some time.  The Lord will provide.  I am full of Peace and Joy, felt Peace and Joy, to have some little thing to endure at this time of year, on this day - Good Friday for me.

Deo Gratius Laudate Dominum. 

BarbTherese

photo-jesus-lying-death-his-tomb-mary-mo

Friday 7th April 2023

HOLY SATURDAY

Jesus has died and is laying in the tomb

Morning Prayer https://universalis.com/20230408/lauds.htm

Evening Prayer https://universalis.com/20230407/vespers.htm

Night Prayer https://universalis.com/20230408/compline.htm

OFFICE OF READINGS

Second Reading

From an ancient homily for Holy Saturday

The Lord's descent into the underworld

Something strange is happening – there is a great silence on earth today, a great silence and stillness. The whole earth keeps silence because the King is asleep. The earth trembled and is still because God has fallen asleep in the flesh and he has raised up all who have slept ever since the world began. God has died in the flesh and hell trembles with fear.

He has gone to search for our first parent, as for a lost sheep. Greatly desiring to visit those who live in darkness and in the shadow of death, he has gone to free from sorrow the captives Adam and Eve, he who is both God and the son of Eve. The Lord approached them bearing the cross, the weapon that had won him the victory. At the sight of him Adam, the first man he had created, struck his breast in terror and cried out to everyone: “My Lord be with you all.” Christ answered him: “And with your spirit.” He took him by the hand and raised him up, saying: “Awake, O sleeper, and rise from the dead, and Christ will give you light.”

I am your God, who for your sake have become your son. Out of love for you and for your descendants I now by my own authority command all who are held in bondage to come forth, all who are in darkness to be enlightened, all who are sleeping to arise. I order you, O sleeper, to awake. I did not create you to be held a prisoner in hell. Rise from the dead, for I am the life of the dead. Rise up, work of my hands, you who were created in my image. Rise, let us leave this place, for you are in me and I am in you; together we form only one person and we cannot be separated. For your sake I, your God, became your son; I, the Lord, took the form of a slave; I, whose home is above the heavens, descended to the earth and beneath the earth. For your sake, for the sake of man, I became like a man without help, free among the dead. For the sake of you, who left a garden, I was betrayed to the Jews in a garden, and I was crucified in a garden.

See on my face the spittle I received in order to restore to you the life I once breathed into you. See there the marks of the blows I received in order to refashion your warped nature in my image. On my back see the marks of the scourging I endured to remove the burden of sin that weighs upon your back. See my hands, nailed firmly to a tree, for you who once wickedly stretched out your hand to a tree.

I slept on the cross and a sword pierced my side for you who slept in paradise and brought forth Eve from your side. My side has healed the pain in yours. My sleep will rouse you from your sleep in hell. The sword that pierced me has sheathed the sword that was turned against you.

Rise, let us leave this place. The enemy led you out of the earthly paradise. I will not restore you to that paradise, but I will enthrone you in heaven. I forbade you the tree that was only a symbol of life, but see, I who am life itself am now one with you. I appointed cherubim to guard you as slaves are guarded, but now I make them worship you as God. The throne formed by cherubim awaits you, its bearers swift and eager. The bridal chamber is adorned, the banquet is ready, the eternal dwelling places are prepared, the treasure houses of all good things lie open. The kingdom of heaven has been prepared for you from all eternity.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH6na65RvVeK-H12-n7Bi

HOLY SATURDAY

On Holy Saturday the Church honours Christ in the tomb. Everything is silent: the Mass is not celebrated, the church is empty. There is an air of expectation. We have celebrated Good Friday, now it is Holy Saturday, and the next day is the third day.

HOLY HOUR  

tomb-head.jpg?w=840                                                                                                    

A Holy Hour

I am praying The Rosary and Chaplet of Mercy, asking for Peace in the Ukraine and everywhere, as my Holy Hour.  Spending time in Silent Prayer and contemplating image of Jesus in the tomb, as above

BarbTherese

Do not hide your face from me Lord,

do not let me be like the dead,

who go down to the underworld.

Show me your mercy at daybreak,

because of my trust in you.

Tell me the way I should follow,

for I lift up my soul towards you.

Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for us

BarbTherese

Zephaniah+3-17+The+Lord+Is+Mighty+To+Sav

Isiah 38 CANTICLE

It is the living, the living who will proclaim you,

as I do today.

Fathers will pass on to their children

the truth of your faithfulness.

Save me, Lord,

and to the sound of the harp we will sing to you,

all the days of our life,

in the house of the Lord.

BarbTherese

For Peace everywhere - and especially in Ukraine.  For the conversion of Russia:

For the conversion of heart everywhere:

For Unity and Peace in The Church

As we wait.........